+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Trigger-ed     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I honestly prefer XIII's battle system over XII's but gambits would've made the overall experience even better (on top of some adjustments that only came with XIII-2).

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I also resented XIII's "after-game content," which consisted of grinding hours to get the best weapons and skills so you could do absolutely nothing with them but beat the final boss again.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Actually highly relevant in a Chrono Trigger thread since that game did New Game+ the best way possible.

12's system was a successful translation of the older turn based systems into a more active format without losing any of the ability variety or sense of control (actually had more control since you could now move around freely).

The next step was to add more mechanics on top of that system to encourage and require more active decision making, instead we got single character control, no movement, and Auto-Battle: The Game.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Actually highly relevant in a Chrono Trigger thread since that game did New Game+ the best way possible.
    and end-game content, imo. Being able to go straight to the final boss. choosing if you want to go through the process of getting Crono back. the sunstone, killing the machine queen. reviving that forest. doing the black omen or not. It was all so perfect and flowed naturally

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    12's system was a successful translation of the older turn based systems into a more active format without losing any of the ability variety or sense of control (actually had more control since you could now move around freely).

The next step was to add more mechanics on top of that system to encourage and require more active decision making, instead we got single character control, no movement, and Auto-Battle: The Game.
    And yet the average battle, even for trash mobs, generally requires much more input and control than in 12. In my opinion, 12 had a massive disconnect in its gameplay loop. It wanted you to set up a system that can fight for itself, which made it mostly a monitoring process for the occasional wrenches it threw into your well-oiled machine. But, said wrenches came so rarely that I usually had gotten tired of close monitoring and miss the signal for them until it's too late. I have a few fights I fondly remember in 12, but all of them were hunts that I cheesed my way through way too early, so that I pretty much had to take manual control for the entire process.

13's battle system certainly has its problems, mostly in not being able to switch characters and the fight ending if your control character dies. But, ultimately, I think it's probably the most active and engaging system they've come up with to date (note: that doesn't mean the best system). Opinions are opinions.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

With 12 the fun of it is supposed to be setting up a system that works for your party, goal and job combos...I was never crazy about the "gambit building" aspect of it but I found the messy, chaotic overworld fights a lot more immersive than the screen transitioning to a battle screen and everyone lining up in a neat little row like every other title. Also the fact that I didn't have to press the same combo of buttons over and over for every menial fight/farming was extremely nice. Both of those reasons are big contributors to why 12 is my favorite FF game.

However I don't care for the license grid too much, not even in the Zodiac system. I much preferred X-2 or even XIII's character growth system. If X-2 didn't require so much grinding to max everything out I'd probably think of it fondly as the best system SE has implemented in a FF game.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

X-2 is basically XIII but done correctly (and years before) with all the job-switching during battle and timing attacks. it really was the best FF battle system. too bad the story was a mix of clichéd melodrama and "WOOOOOOOOOO GIRL POWER"

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

You could beat anything in the game with 2 of those robots spamming impale and that flower that spams pernicious powder, it was so ridiculous (it was really cool!).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

New patch - https://steamcommunity.com/games/613...59816032933569

• A new battle user interface (UI) has been added based on the look and feel of the original Chrono Trigger
    • An option has been added to select between the UI optimised for controller/keyboard mentioned above, and the current UI optimised for mouse & touch panels. This option appears in “settings” in the main menu.
    • The game can now be paused during battle by using the pause button on controller, or the Space bar on the keyboard.
    • Adjusted the look of playable characters on the world map to be more in-line with the original version of Chrono Trigger.
    • The resolution of animated cut-scenes has been improved.
    • The display area of animated cut-scenes has been increased.
    • Fixed instances where the game slowed down during certain scenes.
    • The Korean font has been updated.
    • Other small bugs are fixed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That looks a lil better.
    Spoiler: show

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

lol at the Save Point glitch. What in the actual fuck???

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mabubeezareel View Post
    lol at the Save Point glitch. What in the actual fuck???
    I present you SE

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Inb4 they hand wave it off as an extension of the FATE supercomputer from El Nido.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So SE just patched the save glitches. So everything should be okay now.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

50% off Steam right meow, considering getting it as i'm a Chrono virgin unless there's some deal-breaking noise i should hear about. sounds like the patches have made it p much A1.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

50% off at GMG now

You will also get a 5% voucher for DQ11 with this

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Still not worth it IMO. This version kinda blows. Don't get bamboozled.