+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead Sea Critters: Food?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dead Sea Critters: Food?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8239156.html

Was reading this yesterday, and while it seems very fucked up/crazy that all these things died, I guess nature is as nature does.

I've never heard of people consuming starfish, but since the article mentions dead lobsters and crabs, it got me wondering; if they died "frozen", are they edible? I mean, can these death-by-freeze animals be safely consumed by humans without risk to one's health? Honest curiosity. I really didn't know where else to ask; thanks!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It depends on so many factors that it's probably best if you don't eat the oceans equivalent of road kill. There's all manner of oceanic bacteria, most of which we don't know anything about, on top of the unknown of how long the critter was dead so that oceanic life and bacteria might make the food unsafe to eat. Even more so then the land life were used to, there's so many things in the ocean that could make something unsafe to eat that you should just skip over anything that isn't fresh or sourced from someplace you trust.

For example, id eat a freshly caught fish but if I found that same fish belly up and washed onto shore id pass it up. Just too dangerous and were not so hard up that I need to risk it for sustenance lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    It depends on so many factors that it's probably best if you don't eat the oceans equivalent of road kill. There's all manner of oceanic bacteria, most of which we don't know anything about, on top of the unknown of how long the critter was dead so that oceanic life and bacteria might make the food unsafe to eat. Even more so then the land life were used to, there's so many things in the ocean that could make something unsafe to eat that you should just skip over anything that isn't fresh or sourced from someplace you trust.

For example, id eat a freshly caught fish but if I found that same fish belly up and washed onto shore id pass it up. Just too dangerous and were not so hard up that I need to risk it for sustenance lol.

While all of this makes sense, I'm not sure I was clear enough: The animal died because it literally froze to death. So it's been frozen since death up until the moment you found it, just as it would be in your freezer (depending on the temperature outside, of course), where supposedly, these bacteria wouldn't thrive. Only difference is, instead of being sourced from somewhere you trust, or in your fridge, it would be found frozen on some beach.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I say go for it man. What's the worst that can happen? If you really scurred heat it enough to achieve pasteurization

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So many questioned I'd ask myself before eating them...

Can you identify the critter? Or you just gonna risk eating a random sea critter? Good luck if that's the case...mushroom rules should apply to sealife; if you aren't 100% sure you know what it is then don't eat it.

Just cause something is cold doesn't mean it might not have started decomposing. That's just in general a good rule, but also goes in hand with sourcing in that you don't know how long they were dead before being frozen, where they were before washing up on the frozen beach, what sea or land life has touched it before you got there. So many variables that can make you naseus at the least, dead at the worst, that why bother? Seafood really that expensive where you're at?

Really the problem is identifying what washed up on your shore. You got a frozen tuna problem? Sure go ahead try your luck. You got this random fish on your shore with stripes down the side and buck teeth? Maybe you shouldn't try fileting that one. You're gonna have to use your best judgement here bud, and I'm willing to wager 9.5 times out of 10 you should err on caution and skip the roadkill.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Seafood is cheapish where I live (Brazil), as it's on the coast, and we have plenty of fisherman fishing stuff and selling for low prices.

I was just wondering, because as the subject came up yesterday, my daughter and I (she's 12) got to thinking if it would be safe to eat these crabs/lobsters, as they were "frozen", and could therefore be assumed "safe" by the local population (in England).

Edit: Really not trying to eat dead stuff (not in the context of this thread, at least); just curious.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Europeans are crazy. That's like saying you're cool with eating frozen washed up lobster from the Hudson River. Like fuck no thank lol.

just because something "froze to death" doesnt mean it hit freezing temperatures - you can die from exposure in 45F weather from the cold, doesnt mean you literally froze. (ok, that might be hard to do, but if you were wet and it was windy?) morever, just because something froze, doesn't mean it stayed that way up until the point it washed up into your eager mouth. temperatures fluctuate, especially on land. its not unusual to see temps hit 45F in the day then swing back to 15F in the night. during the thaw periods it is quite possible for it to be decomposing and picking up all sorts of deliciously deadly bacteria.

Banned.

BG Level

Well, if some people can fathom that..... But definitely not me! Crazy!