1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 15 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 10 hours, 15 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Its cool. They can get their little FFXI experiments out of the way, appease the 3% of XI purists that still have the free time to commit to this stuff, then go back to hopefully thinking of something different. I'll take the current trend 8-man Boxed Raid Fighter over this tripe.

FFXI still exists. Go play it. The "community aspect" only existed in its heyday because soloing anything of tangible value was nearly impossible for most tasks and everything required hours of investment. Just beg for an HD remaster of XI and leave the actual mechanics of it out of this game.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    This is what happens when people say "content like XI" and they immediately look at someone leveling in dunes, rather than actual content in XI. Or their only experience with FFXI was leveling for 20 minutes before quitting the game.
    Or killing NMs in Abyssea in stupid quantities for stuff to upgrade your relic.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Also loving how the rage on reddit about the relic is the same as the i210 relic from 3.1

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i dunno, i had a ton of fun with it today, and at this point i don't particularly enjoy anything in this game outside of doing savage raids with my group. really my only gripe at the moment is it doesn't produce a ton of weekly tomes, but that may change as people better figure out how to spawn NMs. looking forward to being able to log in after work, jump in teamspeak with my group and grind and talk shit for an hour or two.

also i got an emperor's hairpin hell yes

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Yeah baby! More XI content from when I was 20-years-old, in college and barely had a job to speak of. I'm so happy that the cries for nostalgia led to this while stripping time and resources away from new dungeons and other content.
    Yeah this is exactly the mindset I figured Eureka would inspire.

Sorry, but they didn't copy FFXI "content". They copied the grind part wholesale and left the content to rot. In fact, outside of dungeons and raids (which are just the same thing over and over but with different patterns to dance) FFXIV itself doesn't even have any actual content, either.

People crying for nostalgia sure as fuck weren't asking for this, specifically.
    I notice no one seems to have a problem with Tenzen being recycled, though. Maybe because it's a story/character element?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Played most of the day. I wouldn't mind the fact that we waited so unbelievably long for this ridiculously barren, boring, and uninspired mess of an event to release at the cost of dungeons. I really wouldn't. If it weren't for the fact that the rewards are absolute and complete garbage (not even talking stats, strictly glamour wise which is all relics are good for anyway) and, beyond that, are unabashedly designed to waste dozens of hours of your time.

The amount of crystals you need vs. the amount that you get JUST FOR ONE JOB to get a weapon and set of armor that we've had access to for 7 months now, all while having absolutely no other objectives other than kill the same type of enemy thousands upon thousands of times and sometimes do a fate, is so dreadfully bullshit that I don't even know how this "content" isn't considered a warcrime.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Its cool. They can get their little FFXI experiments out of the way, appease the 3% of XI purists that still have the free time to commit to this stuff, then go back to hopefully thinking of something different. I'll take the current trend 8-man Boxed Raid Fighter over this tripe.

FFXI still exists. Go play it. The "community aspect" only existed in its heyday because soloing anything of tangible value was nearly impossible for most tasks and everything required hours of investment. Just beg for an HD remaster of XI and leave the actual mechanics of it out of this game.
    Plenty of free time here, and I loved XI. Whatever influence people detect from that game in Eureka, this is a caricature of its worst aspects with none of the redeeming or charming qualities that typically attended such tedium. Your ire should be directed at the XIV dev team as they continually produce this Diadem-quality trash.

I don't care if they look to another game for inspiration or not; the XI consternation here seems misplaced. People want structured content--interesting endgame platforms, preferably with some compelling connection to the story.. and it looks unlikely that they will ever be willing to move away from their staid formula to deliver.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Coyohma View Post
    Plenty of free time here, and I loved XI. Whatever influence people detect from that game in Eureka, this is a caricature of its worst aspects with none of the redeeming or charming qualities that typically attended such tedium. Your ire should be directed at the XIV dev team as they continually produce this Diadem-quality trash.

I don't care if they look to another game for inspiration or not; the XI consternation here seems misplaced. People want structured content--interesting endgame platforms, preferably with some compelling connection to the story.. and it looks unlikely that they will ever be willing to move away from their staid formula to deliver.
    People just really hate on XI especially Reddit/OF, even some people here who played XI magically pretend SE didn't miss the mark if they were trying to "give a nod" to it.

tl;dr: People just pretend the only thing you did in XI was kill crabs in dunes, kill birds in Thickets or leveled in Abyssea and grinded content for gear obsolete on release, there was absolutely nothing else to FFXI, not at all nor did XI adapt a force pop/hierarchy system for literally every content for more than half of its lifespan.

Eureka offers 350/355 completed relic (I think people said?) Why wouldn't you, no matter how casual you are, have a Byakko Weapon, near full set of Sigma NORMAL at best gear or even Mendacity gear by now? Sure the Eureka gear is dyeable, but was that worth the cut content and 2-3 time delay? For those who hate XI: Could you honestly say every content you've done during its prime served no purpose whatsoever in the same regard?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I feel personally attacked

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Went after work. Couple fc mates had been in earlier. Because of level spread, xp was bad on shit 4 of us could chain.

The elemental wheel is cumbersome for no reason and seems like an added headache to click through.

The way i look at it content has to, at its very basic, be either Fun, or Worth while gear wise. Ideally both, sure. But one or the other at the very least.

This content to me satisfies neither. I could grind for days during the FFXI relic upgrade 3000 crab ws kills tachi kaiten in my sleep type hell because i got at least a small upgrade out of it. This offers me equal ilvl to zombie grinding normal mode raids, granted with some more materia slots.. But even grinding tomes you'd likely have several 260 pieces and a 260 weapon in two more weeks.

Its neither fun, nor worthwhile. I would have been fine with either but now at least i can just ignore it outright. Still... Disappointed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Woke from a small nap and went back in and almost level 9. Number spawn scares me but everything else has been pretty smooth. Only thing that sucks is if you are tanking and stuns needed, thats the only time you have to focus but was getting too tired to watch for cast bars. It really reminded me of highschool days staying up much later than I should and just the good ol grind.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

If all they could put out is grind and a few NM's then this isn't really a XI callback. This feels more like XIV 1.0 than XI to me. The XI skins are all over but the core concept is 1.0 shenanigans.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    If all they could put out is grind and a few NM's then this isn't really a XI callback. This feels more like XIV 1.0 than XI to me. The XI skins are all over but the core concept is 1.0 shenanigans.
    1.0 was based on the XI grind, just saying. It was pretty much crafting skillups injected into the battle classes. And it was made by the same people as well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    1.0 was based on the XI grind, just saying. It was pretty much crafting skillups injected into the battle classes. And it was made by the same people as well.
    1.0 grinding was excruciatingly boring compare to XI grinding. This was primarily coupled by the little to no reward from actually hitting a new level and zero sense of progression towards a goal. I looked forward to going to non-traditional camps and areas in XI(honestly, I still do when I go back). However, I can't say I felt the same in 1.0 nor in diadem/eureka. They have the same face but have different blood.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Can't wait to reactivate to grind in Eureka this weekend while watching basketball.

edit: Legitimate question: if my gear is 4.0-ish, can I walk into Eureka without needing to upgrade gear?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

iLv cap is at 300 so yeah, you will be fine

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

My feedback/thoughts:

The instance system is retarded, probably one of my biggest peeves with this so far. There is no way to join friends who are already inside doing Eureka, or to rejoin your group of friends if you have to leave for any reason. You need to have people drop and requeue which is incredibly intrusive and clunky due to losing the EXP buffs, chains, and NM progress.

The NM system is pathetic. Large scale FATEs/hunts can't offer any sort of meaningful gameplay when everyone is rubberbanding, disappearing, or 90king. Double shame because some of these NMs actually have interesting mechanics, they're just bruteforced or it's too laggy to enjoy them. It's absolutely fucking maddening to me that they keep on pushing for this "100+ people vs one mob" idea because it wasn't fun 5 years ago when they tried with Behemoth and Odin and it still isn't now.

The group system is overly punishing. There's a very specific level difference sweetspot that makes EXP grinding bearable, but as soon as you have people who are one level too high or too low it all slows down for someone in the PT. You also need people who actually know how to DPS if you want keep the good chains going, so obviously every PUG so far has been a nightmare. This is honestly only a complaint/negative because fighting NMs is a joke compared to efficiently fighting trash mobs. This makes EXPing feel like premade content while bosses are public content which I find... backwards. I'm better off afking in the zone and hitting NMs until all my friends come online, anything else has felt like a waste of my time and effort.

It's worth noting that the content is already evolving into instanced Hunts with half of the zone moving around as a big deathball and force spawning all the FATEs within an hour or two, which I don't find particularly fun or interesting even though it's incredibly effortless and fast EXP/crystals. Once this catches on it definitely won't be anywhere near as much of a grind as it seemed originally, but it still won't be good content. I don't know if the devs meant for things to be done like this, but to me it's looking more like a bootleg GW2 area rather than a bootleg FFXI system.

They took some steps forward from Diadem 2.0 but they just created a ton of new issues, and given their track record it's unlikely any of it will ever get fixed or adjusted in a satisfying way. Should've just copy-pasted Abyssea.

As a couple (minor) positives, the area is very pretty and actually interesting to explore, and the trash mobs all have mini-mechanics that make each of the mob families stand apart and fun to fight (at least for the first 10-15 minutes).

Maybe it's because I was doing Blizzard PTR recently for their new character, but there is a part of me that REALLY hopes SE reads the VERY Vocal internet about how dissapointed we are in this and makes small adjustments accordingly, because I really do see potential in Eureka, it's just a lot of really obvious stuff that I have no idea how they went to ship this product and thought "yeah, this is a good idea NO ONE will have issues with." Before anyone says it, yes I know SE has shown little to NO track record of doing that in the history of FFXIV but let me dream damn it! *sigh* We could have had something truly amazing. Instead we have Valkruum Dunes and the Shitadel...Maybe they'll fix it, or as they add to Eureka maybe we will eventually get some cool stuff. It's possible right?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Has anyone else noticed that people are stuck in the FFXIV dungeon "aoe group kill" mentality? I'm going to start forming my own parties because people just don't understand that mass killing mobs at-level is nowhere near as good as single-chaining mobs that are 5 levels above you.

Also, the fact that this content is completely reliant on grouping yet has features that make grouping as difficult as possible... honestly, what the fuck SE?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    Maybe it's because I was doing Blizzard PTR recently for their new character, but there is a part of me that REALLY hopes SE reads the VERY Vocal internet about how dissapointed we are in this and makes small adjustments accordingly, because I really do see potential in Eureka, it's just a lot of really obvious stuff that I have no idea how they went to ship this product and thought "yeah, this is a good idea NO ONE will have issues with." Before anyone says it, yes I know SE has shown little to NO track record of doing that in the history of FFXIV but let me dream damn it! *sigh* We could have had something truly amazing. Instead we have Valkruum Dunes and the Shitadel...Maybe they'll fix it, or as they add to Eureka maybe we will eventually get some cool stuff. It's possible right?
    This is the third iteration of this content, Diadem came out over two years ago. If this is what they shipped in spite of all the feedback they've gotten since then, I'd say at this point it's very much not possible for them to do better.