+ Reply to Thread
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

BA vs BS in Computer Science

Cross-posting this to like a jillion websites so just gimme feedback if you're up for it, no big.

So here's the skinny: I need 31 more credits for a BS in Computer Science, but only 12 more for the BA. My question is, do I go for the BA or the BS? BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! My job pays for one class per semester, so that 31 credits (8 classes) will take a while. I could handle 2 per semester if I took loans I think, and summer classes too, so that's an option. But it will realistically be about three, MAYBE two more years if I push myself. The BA would be done within a year, year-and-a-half at most.

I'm really torn on this. Clearly a BS is better, there's no question. In a void that's the right answer. But is it so much better that it's worth an additional year or two in a shitty job as I edge closer to 40? Can I get the same job with a BA as I would with a BS? Will my career advance at the same pace? Will it even matter once I'm set on a new career path and have shown people what I can accomplish, gotten more certifications, etc.?

Any and all thoughts and advice are appreciated. Really just looking for people who have insight in the field as to whether the BA vs BS makes a big difference, and if so, how big?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

A BA in Computer Science?

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

What are the specific differences between the two degree programs? Different schools do different things with their BA/BS programs. Are you just missing a couple math and non-CS science courses with the BA? Or are you actually taking fewer/less technical programming courses?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I did a google.

Seems like the BA is a general applied computer science degree in the arts/humanities dept and a BS is usually in the engineering school.

I vote BS.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    What are the specific differences between the two degree programs? Different schools do different things with their BA/BS programs. Are you just missing a couple math and non-CS science courses with the BA? Or are you actually taking fewer/less technical programming courses?
    They begin the same, but the BS requires a little more higher-division math and, most significantly, a 19-credit track focused on a specific area of computer science whereas the BA does not. so the extra credits are all upper-division CSCI courses.

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

That would be a pretty huge deal in my field (Physics) for someone not pursuing a terminal degree. I can't speak to employability in CS, but I would personally go for the BS.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Do you have years (5~7+) of IT experience? BA, because degrees don't matter at that point.
    Do you have no (0~2) IT experience? BS, because that's your only real experience.

BA is better than nothing, but with how close the BS is, easy choice if you have no/little experience. Get a loan, finish off school sooner, get a good IT job, pay it off in a year.