BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Anna Ruthven
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Weird noise coming from under my truck dash

I'm hoping someone here is good with older vehicles. I recently got my old truck, a 1986 Ford F-150, back on the road in hopes of making it a work truck.

It has a few issues but the one I can't figure out is a strange buzzing, whirring noise coming from somewhere in the dash any time the key is in the "on" position and the transmission is in Park, I've also noticed it happens between Reverse and Neutral.

This noise isn't coming from the door buzzer, in fact I can hear both if I open the door. I originally assumed it was a vacuum thing as the AC/heater controls aren't working either and those are apparently vacuum operated but it makes the noise even if the engine isn't running so I'm now guessing it's something electrical.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

it's cancer. get yourself checked.

It's sounding electrical to me, too. When I had my older car, I noticed that when I had the key in position for anything to draw power, I'd hear a faint buzz, myself. My guess is the particular sound is tied to the triggering of lights relative to the gear position, since going in park and reversing with the key on should be triggering the back lights. Unfortunately, light wiring has multiple connections where anything in between could be corroded/frayed due to age and possibly exposed to some bare metal where various wires may also have been bundled against with plastic ties along the frame. Mentioning the dash would then point me toward the steering column portion, where if you have an exposure issue, it could also mean the insulation at the back of the truck's hood near the windshield could need some work to prevent water from drizzling down due to rain/snow.

Given we're talking a 30+ year old truck, that'd be my starting point, anyway.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMolly View Post
    I'm hoping someone here is good with older vehicles. I recently got my old truck, a 1986 Ford F-150, back on the road in hopes of making it a work truck.

It has a few issues but the one I can't figure out is a strange buzzing, whirring noise coming from somewhere in the dash any time the key is in the "on" position and the transmission is in Park, I've also noticed it happens between Reverse and Neutral.

This noise isn't coming from the door buzzer, in fact I can hear both if I open the door. I originally assumed it was a vacuum thing as the AC/heater controls aren't working either and those are apparently vacuum operated but it makes the noise even if the engine isn't running so I'm now guessing it's something electrical.
    Its probably bees.

Ok story time:

Customer brings in her car and complained about a hissing noise. Its not an unusual noise, and its usually a door or window seal. One tech test drives it and doesn't hear shit. He tells the customer he didn't hear a noise. She wasn't happy, so she looks at me and asks if i can check it out. The tech looks at me kinda pissed and says "whatever dude" and hands me the keys.
    So im driving down the access road, and i start hearing a hissing noise......below the dash area near the pedals. I was like WTF is that noise? Then i see a fucking snake head pop out from the dash and starts slithering kut to the floorboards.

I slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car. I called the other Tech to get some help and he didn't believe me. He shows up and i tell him to drive back and ill drive his car back. He was like "whatever dude". I get back first, he drives straight into the shop and slams on the brakes and falls out screaming "SNAKE!"

We unloaded 2 cans of brake cleaner on it and pulled out a 10 foot rat snake from her car. When we showed her, she almost fainted and had to sit down.

Girlboy
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Anna Ruthven
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Great, now I'll be paranoid about snakes in my truck. No shit, I've had nightmares about that very thing.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    It's sounding electrical to me, too. When I had my older car, I noticed that when I had the key in position for anything to draw power, I'd hear a faint buzz, myself. My guess is the particular sound is tied to the triggering of lights relative to the gear position, since going in park and reversing with the key on should be triggering the back lights. Unfortunately, light wiring has multiple connections where anything in between could be corroded/frayed due to age and possibly exposed to some bare metal where various wires may also have been bundled against with plastic ties along the frame. Mentioning the dash would then point me toward the steering column portion, where if you have an exposure issue, it could also mean the insulation at the back of the truck's hood near the windshield could need some work to prevent water from drizzling down due to rain/snow.

Given we're talking a 30+ year old truck, that'd be my starting point, anyway.
    I dunno about anything around the steering column, I've had it dropped and apart a few times for various reasons. That shift lock piece that keeps you from shifting gears when the key is off is a bitch to replace btw.

The gear indicator itself is just a cabled dial with no indicator lights for any gear. It's also 2WD so no 2/4wd or low/high indicator. If that's what you meant.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sounds like you’ve got a leaky spark tube. It’s probably totaled but you could take it to my guy. I only work on motorcycles.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Sounds like you’ve got a leaky spark tube. It’s probably totaled but you could take it to my guy. I only work on motorcycles.
    lol
    Just watched that episode yesterday.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It could be a bunch of different things. My initial guess is the wiring harness. Casing gets brittle with age and can crack/fall off which then exposes the wires. The posts get exposed from time to time as well. This can cause a short in the steering column which would cause the buzzing you're hearing. It could also be a blown fuse.

Girlboy
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Anna Ruthven
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'll have to check when it stops raining.

Girlboy
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Anna Ruthven
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So, apparently it's an electrical component under the dash to the right of the steering column. Haven't been able to investigate yet but at least I found the source of the noise.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Its probably bees.

Ok story time:

Customer brings in her car and complained about a hissing noise. Its not an unusual noise, and its usually a door or window seal. One tech test drives it and doesn't hear shit. He tells the customer he didn't hear a noise. She wasn't happy, so she looks at me and asks if i can check it out. The tech looks at me kinda pissed and says "whatever dude" and hands me the keys.
    So im driving down the access road, and i start hearing a hissing noise......below the dash area near the pedals. I was like WTF is that noise? Then i see a fucking snake head pop out from the dash and starts slithering kut to the floorboards.

I slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car. I called the other Tech to get some help and he didn't believe me. He shows up and i tell him to drive back and ill drive his car back. He was like "whatever dude". I get back first, he drives straight into the shop and slams on the brakes and falls out screaming "SNAKE!"

We unloaded 2 cans of brake cleaner on it and pulled out a 10 foot rat snake from her car. When we showed her, she almost fainted and had to sit down.

don't kill rat snakes! they are buddies.