+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Magicians (SyFy)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The Magicians (SyFy)

Is anyone watching this? Season 3 ended last night and it got picked up for a 4th season.

Ridill
    BG Level

Spoiler: show
    I'm a purist. I'll only watch this show if they stayed true to the source material and kept in the giant arctic fox orgy.
    Seriously though,

I liked the first book but then the 2nd and 3rd started feeling too childish adventurey. What's the tone the show is going for?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I only seen season 1, stopped watching cause MC was just too annoying, but felt like twilight angst x chronicles of narnia.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    Spoiler: show
    I'm a purist. I'll only watch this show if they stayed true to the source material and kept in the giant arctic fox orgy.
    Seriously though,

I liked the first book but then the 2nd and 3rd started feeling too childish adventurey. What's the tone the show is going for?
    They only plucked the best stories from the book and some of the characters are different. For instance, Janet had her name changed to Margo (because too many J's) and both she and Elliot have some of the best lines and character development in the show at least in my opinion. A lot of stuff that happens with Julia happens early on in Season 1 and the Beast is different in that his face is covered by moths instead of a branch and is summoned by Q's posse instead of by himself.

Season 1 for me was the least enjoyable with 2 and 3 being a lot better.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

This show is my guilty pleasure. Kind of an college/adult Harry Potter meets Dawson's Creek where magic royally fucks up everyone's lives. Super dark and disturbing at times.

I actually didn't love the season 3 finale, but overall this is a phenomenal show. It's the right combination of over-the-top strange, sometimes stupid, out of nowhere crazy with really well fleshed out characters.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Is anyone watching this? Season 3 ended last night and it got picked up for a 4th season.
    Oh fuck yes. I've loved every episode this season. Can't wait for season 4. I'm probably going to pick up the trilogy here soon but I hate spending $32.99 on something that will likely only last me 1-2 days worth of reading.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

There's always the library...they rent out ebooks too.

It was a once-read for me, I doubt I'll go back. There are some really interesting things in the books but I didn't love them enough to re-read them.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Confused as fuck. Do you mean at actual libraries, that normally rent physical books that I used to go to as a child...? Or some fancy website/app I'm too ignorant to have heard of?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

It will vary with the city, but a lot of libraries now have some form of online catalog containing ebooks, comics, music, even movies.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    It's the right combination of over-the-top strange, sometimes stupid, out of nowhere crazy with really well fleshed out characters.
    Over the top as in the Centaur hung like a horse and the Great Cock in season 3?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    Confused as fuck. Do you mean at actual libraries, that normally rent physical books that I used to go to as a child...?
    Yo do you guys mean loan out? Because holy hell being charged from a public library lol

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

it's best to look at the show and the books as related properties with similar source material. the show is a little hokey but oh shit it can be fun. i need to catch up.

For anyone following this, Season 4 starts this week, and it has been renewed for a season 5 already!

Not sure why but I do really like this show.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    For anyone following this, Season 4 starts this week, and it has been renewed for a season 5 already!

Not sure why but I do really like this show.
    Binge watching it made me really like it. Especially the seasons once they got to Fillory. I’m excited to see this dark monster god thing act inside Elliot. I just hope this amnesia/ altered memories bit doesn’t last most the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that escalated quickly..

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Yo do you guys mean loan out? Because holy hell being charged from a public library lol
    Old, but...
    Yes, they loan out ebooks. And most of the time (as far as Ive seen) digital media you have checked out gets returned automatically when its due date comes up, so you never have to worry about fines on ebooks and stuff.

Banned.

BG Level

For anybody following this, Season 4 begins this week, and it has been reestablished for a season 5 as of now!

Not certain why but rather I do truly like this show.

Wow... Well it's gonna be different come season 5

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

This had better not be the last we see of a certain character (tried to spoiler it but my phone effed it up)

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    This had better not be the last we see of a certain character (tried to spoiler it but my phone effed it up)
    Confirmed last, but its TV things can always change..