+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Something that bothered me is the gauntlet itself. At the end of Age of Ultron Thanos grabs it from a vault, yet in IW apparently he went to Nidavellir to have it made. So my only guess is that there were knockoffs in the universe. Also there was a second gauntlet on Nidavellir but it looked unfinished or was a casting.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Ragnarok already established the fact that there were knockoffs.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The one in Age of Ultron might have been a prototype. Or maybe its simply a retcon. Eh.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Something that bothered me is the gauntlet itself. At the end of Age of Ultron Thanos grabs it from a vault, yet in IW apparently he went to Nidavellir to have it made. So my only guess is that there were knockoffs in the universe. Also there was a second gauntlet on Nidavellir but it looked unfinished or was a casting.
    He probably had the dwarfes make it, then stored it in a vault until he could get some stones. No use in wearing the thing if you don't have any rocks on it.
    Also the one in Nidavellir was a fake.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    I completely understand and agree. It's just going to make other villains appear threatening a great challenge for the writers.
    It's true. I think in this sense they really can only just come to terms with it and continue to write smaller scale villains.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

well at least it will make sense. If a bunch of the big time heroes are gone after IW2 then small scale villains will believably be a legit threat, (even if they arent as dope as Thanos) until newer heroes establish themselves and then they can build toward Beyonder, Kang, annihilus or hopefully Galactus depending on whatever deal they have with fantastic 4.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Integrate the Fox properties and build to Secret Wars and God Doom.

After sitting on it for a day... overall, love the movie and it's at the top of my favorite hero movies now, but I do have two critiques so far:

1) I'm torn about ending with the snap and consequential death of half the Avengers, etc. On the one hand it was an epic gut-wrenching way to end the movie, but on the other hand it felt like it cheapened the deaths & also removes most of the uncertainty over the conclusion of the next movie. The Avengers will get the gauntlet, reverse time, and everyone who died from the gauntlet at the end will be resurrected. The second I saw big players like Spiderman, Black Panther, etc. die I knew that none of these deaths would stick. I mean we all know there will be some sort of victory eventually, but this just spells it out too much.

I think I would've rather Thanos racked up a couple more actual kills (really only Loki and Gamora?), and leave us riding forward with a stronger feeling they were permanent. And maybe THEN have the movie end with him snapping his fingers, but fading to black and leaving us with the uncertainty of who died. This would leave far more up in the air for the conclusion of the next movie, and whose deaths would stick or not.

2) The actions and behavior of Thanos off-screen were really inconsistent with his actions and behavior on-screen. We kept hearing about how Thanos would murder/kill/torture recklessly and dispassionately, with one particular highlight in my mind behind what he did to Tyrion (lol) & the dwarves at the forge (presumably for the threat of someone else using their skills), but then when it came to seeing him on screen he hardly bothered to kill anyone he didn't absolutely have to. He could've killed any character at any moment. But he'd just swat them aside, like bugs he didn't actually want to hurt. It felt like he wouldn't have even bothered fighting anyone them if they didn't resist, despite the Avengers posing far more of a threat than anyone/anything else (like those dwarves).

I mean, I get why they did it; they wanted to both emphasize his power & ruthlessness but also try and get the audience to sympathize with his motives. Hard to get an audience to sympathize with him when you actively see him murdering left and right. And likewise, Thanos simply one-shotting peeps doesn't make for as good of a movie.

It all still kind of bugged me though.

Both are still relatively minor issues.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

They have said guardian 3 will focus on Gamora rather than quill so she's not staying dead

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Repeating the same sentiment as everyone else -- movie was incredible, gonna see it again this weekend. From the different characters, to the story, to the comedy and seriousness, they balanced so many things perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I know they said these movies would have stakes and that deaths wouldn't be token comic-style reversible, but I find it really hard to believe that right now. The fact that it's the characters most likely to be retired that are alive and a bunch of the new ones that are dead makes me think there's a trick in part 2 where the heroic sacrifices of some of the remaining heroes restore the deceased 50% including the essential Phase 4+ heroes.

Strange said there's only one way they win. I have to imagine all actions he took are in line with that one way
    My takeaway is that everyone who died before the snap is dead, everyone who 'died' afterwards will be back by the end of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilanth View Post
    They have said guardian 3 will focus on Gamora rather than quill so she's not staying dead
    Could have been a misdirect -- they also said Hawkeye was in this movie, and..

Ridill
    BG Level

You know the thing I was actually surprised the most about? Iron Spider actually having the robot spider legs. So many little (but enormous) things they managed to keep secret.
    And yeah, Dr Strange giving up the Time Stone to save Stark is obviously the thing he had to do to get that 1 in 14million success, especially when a few scenes earlier he stated quite frequently that his duty was to protect the time stone and he'd let both stark and Parker die to save it.

I was afraid the 4 minibosses would feel just tossed in but I thought their incorporation was really well done.

As far as Thanos' onscreen persona acting differently than what his reputation said of him off screen, it did feel odd at times, but thinking about it, he's got two huge motivators; purging half the universe so the remaining half has better quality of life, and obtaining the ability to do so.

His more ruthless and merciless side comes into play when he needs to get what he wants- killing Gamora, torturing Nebula, killing all the forge dudes so they couldn't create something to stop him (though plot armor managed to protect a single dude)

And when he's in a situation that he has control over, his "better" side shows.

And that silence in the theater at the end after the Snap... I think it was quieter with 100% of the seats filled than it was when I saw Quiet Place with like 10 people.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gilanth View Post
    im def calling misdirection, zoe has 6 avatar movies to make right now

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    James Cameron won't make any till the inevitable super hero movie fatigue! /s

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Gamora actually being dead for good will really upset me, but I can totally see it cause they finally kissed and said they loved each other. Quill even pulled the trigger. Plus her character is the more stable of the guardian's, it might work better having nebula or something so everyone is retarded and funny instead of the added love story. Loved her in this though, once again showing her range. When she thought she killed thanos was great.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    (though plot armor managed to protect a single dude)
    I contemplated this as well and I don't consider it plot armor as much as Thanos keeping one alive in case the forge is ever needed again in the future. The bridge isn't completely burnt. I think it's logical to keep one alive but to bind his hands so that he can't do anything without your say so. And he left his forge in a state that it would be nearly impossible for it to get working again unless a (literal) god were to turn it back on somehow.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The thing about Thanos not being ruthless is that he had minions to do that for him, so he could look and feel benevolent.

Also I have a good reason why Thanos didn't start sooner on his quest to get all 6. He didn't know where the soul stone was until blue robot lady who's name escapes me went after him and tried to kill him and got caught and showed that Gamora knew where it was. Once he learned that, he went full "Time to fuck shit up" mode. Before that he was biding his time, letting minions do shit while he waited.

Nebula (name escapes me 90% of the time too).

The best line in the movie for me was when Nebula confronted Thanos again and was talking about him killing her and he's just like "I wouldn't waste the parts."

God I love Thanos.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post

Her soul's powering the soul gem. She'll be back. If not Avenger's 4, that'll be the plot of GotG 3.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Her soul's powering the soul gem. She'll be back. If not Avenger's 4, that'll be the plot of GotG 3.
    Oh hmm I didn’t look at it that way, I just thought it was a trade. That makes sense!

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I took it as a trade too..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast