Closed Thread
Page 16 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Controlling access to information is part of the playbook. I don't think banning TikTok is anyone's next step, but I can understand how people might confuse it with one.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Access to information and TikTok dont go together lol

I feel like this could be an overreach, but I hate TikTok so fucking much. Not just because of who owns it, but in general. That said, the reasons for it, I feel are legitimate.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

The devil is in the details. Tiktok has one of the best, if not, THE best machine learning algos around, better than fb, gram, etc. That's because Tiktok uses facial recognition, something fb et al don't, presumably. They should've banned this app a long time ago like they did with huawei.

FB does do facial recognition. You have to opt out of it, FYI.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    Access to information and TikTok dont go together lol
    Tiktok is basically mining every single spec of information it can from your phone and sending what it finds back to China.

It's all about information

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce

BG Level

Zack, actually holds the tech back (in the US). This has to do more with privacy issues or what's left anyway, and well he doesn't want to get his ass fried again in a senate hearing. This also affects autonomous vehicles. Tesla, Nvidia, etc. face those issues to an extent. That and we can't decipher human behaviour to avoid collisions (animals tend to runway from danger, humans will jump in front of a fucking car).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Tiktok's algorithmic advantage is just assuming that you probably want to see popular videos. Regardless what they might collect, their secret sauce is allegedly that they basically throw it away and show you videos based on what is getting clicks at the moment.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    Zack, actually holds the tech back (in the US). This has to do more with privacy issues or what's left anyway, and well he doesn't want to get his ass fried again in a senate hearing. This also affects autonomous vehicles. Tesla, Nvidia, etc. face those issues to an extent. That and we can't decipher human behaviour to avoid collisions (animals tend to runway from danger, humans will jump in front of a fucking car).
    Normal humans do not jump in front of a car.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Tiktok is basically mining every single spec of information it can from your phone and sending what it finds back to China.

It's all about information
    I took what he meant as access to informing users, not mining information of the users.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce

BG Level

It's not just about popular videos:

Eye/hair/skin colour/length/style/make up
    Weight/height/proportions/clothing
    Ethnicity/region/city/block
    To name a few of a hundred factors. Fb/goog give you access to some of its analytics but not all, even then they hold you accountable for their use. This foreign app posses a very real threat. Anyway, believe what you want.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Oh, I believe that Tiktok slurps up all the data that it can.

But the secret sauce in their recommender algorithm is heavy regression to the current mean activity. They aren't treating you as much as an individual as companies like Netflix try to.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

So apparently Trump has approved of Tiktok's sale to a Walmart-Oracle entity that will be named Tiktok global.

ByteDance (the current owners of Tiktok) will maintain majority ownership and there are no limitations on what they do with customer data.

That's right, lads! It's another case of declaring victory without solving the problem.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ker View Post
    So people got#CancelNetflix Trending on Twitter after they saw the content of the pedo movie.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/netfl...114312558.html
    Netflix (NFLX), facing serious backlash following the release of the French coming-of-age film “Cuties,” is seeing a wave of cancellations on the platform, new data suggests.

According to subscription analytics firm Antenna, Netflix cancellations surged 5x the normal amount following the release of “Cuties.”

Meanwhile, Data analytics firm YipitData reported a similar trend, with the company telling Yahoo Finance that Netflix’s U.S. churn “rose materially” last weekend in the wake of the controversy. As of last Saturday, disconnects were running at nearly 8x the daily levels observed in August — a multi-year high, YipitData added.

“Cuties” has faced bipartisan blowback, with high profile politicians like Republican Senator Ted Cruz and Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard — who ran for the Democratic presidential nomination — hammering the film for over-sexualizing young girls. In recent days, the hashtag #CancelNetflix has been a big social media trending topic.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/20/2...te-black-faces
    Twitter it was looking into why the neural network it uses to generate photo previews apparently chooses to show white people’s faces more frequently than Black faces.

Several Twitter users demonstrated the issue over the weekend, posting examples of posts that had a Black person’s face and a white person’s face. Twitter’s preview showed the white faces more often.

The informal testing began after a Twitter user tried to post about a problem he noticed in Zoom’s facial recognition, which was not showing the face of a Black colleague on calls. When he posted to Twitter, he noticed it too was favoring his white face over his Black colleague’s face.

Liz Kelley of the Twitter communications team tweeted Sunday that the company had tested for bias but hadn’t found evidence of racial or gender bias in its testing. “It’s clear that we’ve got more analysis to do,” Kelley tweeted. “We’ll open source our work so others can review and replicate.”

Twitter chief technology officer Parag Agrawal tweeted that the model needed “continuous improvement,” adding he was “eager to learn” from the experiments.
    https://twitter.com/bascule/status/1307440596668182528
    https://twitter.com/_jsimonovski/sta...42747197239296

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    So apparently Trump has approved of Tiktok's sale to a Walmart-Oracle entity that will be named Tiktok global.

ByteDance (the current owners of Tiktok) will maintain majority ownership and there are no limitations on what they do with customer data.

That's right, lads! It's another case of declaring victory without solving the problem.
    That's so Republican of them its hilarious. Thank God Trump saved us from the TicTok!

I feel like the data these companies get from users can be found in the script of Idiocracy.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i would suspect this is more of a technical issue than a racist discrimination issue. The Kinect had the same problem when it launched because dark skin is harder for the computer to separate from shadows/backgrounds, which, when you run that through a learning algorithm, teaches the computer a bias toward white faces. Facial recognition is not a mature technology, despite its deployment.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

oh almost definitely, but the optics of it are pretty terrible

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i would suspect this is more of a technical issue than a racist discrimination issue. The Kinect had the same problem when it launched because dark skin is harder for the computer to separate from shadows/backgrounds, which, when you run that through a learning algorithm, teaches the computer a bias toward white faces. Facial recognition is not a mature technology, despite its deployment.
    But...thats still a racial bias.

Even if they weren't purposefully going for this outcome, its still racially biased.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yes. but it's not racism.

there's a difference.

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 151 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag