+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headset Recommendations     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Headset Recommendations

I'm working in a dispatch center again. Unfortunately, this company put aesthetics over functionality in their call center. The room has marble floors with a minimalist layout, no fabric sound dampening decorations or equipment anywhere in the room, and the borders between desks are even made of a hollow celled plastic that seemingly amplifies sound in the room. The size of the room doesn't help one bit, it ends up just being a big ol echo chamber.

That said, after repeated mentions about the noise issues, nothing has been done. I've now been given permission to find a better headset to help block out the noise. The problem I'm having is I don't know what to google. I'm currently using a Plantronics bluetooth headset that connects to the handset via a phone cord pass thru. Everything I google seems to come up with regular old bluetooth headsets though. This is what I'm currently using. The single ear cup and small form factor really work against it's purpose with the noise levels in here.

Does anyone have any input on a good headset? I'm ideally looking for one that has two over-the-ear or super soft on-the-ear cups. Noise cancelling or just being so thick to block out noise is highly desirable as well. The kicker is due to our phone setup, it must connect to the handset via a phone line pass thru. The phones don't support any other kind of connection. Price isn't a super big concern unless they're super high end and are hundreds of dollars. Anything under like $150 would be ideal.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

What is a phone line pass through?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm guessing a 3.5mm microphone + headphone jack?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    What is a phone line pass through?
    Eh, I was describing it sorta badly. It just has to have a phone line connection. The company has an adapter they attach that lets the signal continue on to the handset too so both the headset and handset can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    I'm guessing a 3.5mm microphone + headphone jack?
    Nah, that'd be too easy. The base connects to the phone base via a phone cord. From there, it's just a BT headset that connects to the base. I suppose there could be plenty of other options that'd work out. My issue is I'm having problems finding them. I'm finding all sorts of headsets and adapters, but nothing that works via the phone cord input.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    That just might do the trick. I'mma get one and see if existing aux port headsets would work. Thanks a ton for the link.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

No worries, hope that helps you narrow things down a bit.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Just be careful that it's compatible with your phone. According to the reviews some phones might have different pin layouts.
    If it works you could literally plug any "standard" headset into it, with a 3,5mm "splitter" that divides microphone and speaker plug you could even use any kind of PC headset. But that might require an amp in between xD