+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Blue Magic Damage Questions

OK, so I've been feeling like I've been slacking on my BLUs regarding fine-tuning offensive magic, but I've gotten a ton of conflicting advice about certain things, and I've always been a bit lost on certain mechanics. Let's see if we can't fix that. ^^;; Please forgive me if any of my questions seem overly basic.

1. I've heard that "older" spells have capped dSTATs while "newer" ones don't, but no word on exactly where that cutoff is. I assume that if this true, then it probably kicks in at lv76+, but hoping someone can confirm that this is true (or not) and that it's level based. Also assuming this is true, what would be a good target to aim for stat-wise in general for the older/capped spells for dSTATs, say for up to ~clvl125?

2. Regarding WSCs, is it actually ever worth gearing for those rather than INT for magic damage spells? Talking in terms of damage, not effort required to make it happen. If I'm not misunderstanding something, then using Searing Tempest as an example: fTP 4.0, dINT 2.0 (likely uncapped?), STR+80% should weigh them as INT+2 = STR+5 I think? This is one of the highest WSC mods around too, which means that the majority of spells will come out with even worse ratios against stat stacking for WSC. Just in case there is a situation where they'd come out ahead though, WSCs are also all uncapped, correct?

3. fTP doesn't even come into play without using Azure Lore/Efflux/Burst Affinity/Chain Affinity, for both magic and phys dmg, correct?

4. Has anyone worked out the damage formulas for physical damage spells to determine what the cutoff point is for where gearing for WSC is beneficial? For example, Sudden Lunge: AGI+40%. If I wanted to maximize damage output, would it be worth sacrificing basic physical melee damage stats (STR/atk) to squeeze in more AGI? If so, at what ratio in this case? What would the minimum percent be to become something that should even be considered?

5. Anyone know of any public testing to determine boss attributes for current endgame? INT/MND/VIT would probably be enough for my purposes, but would be nice to have access to all if anyone knows where to find the info.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

1. 99% sure everything has a dstat cap. However ones considered "uncapped" cap at 1276 for the factor together so like say Wild Fire with 2*(dagi) caps at 638 dagi. Needless to say it's generally the same thing as capped. Each source of magical dmg that had a dstat factor had different caps not sure if it was adhoc with the whole 75 and such. iirc there was some testing in the magic section that found a ton of caps (as well as half potency thresholds which I'm not sure are even a thing anymore) some of them really high but not the "uncapped" value though all the elemental magic ones are outdated since SE implemented a whole different system. It might have some blue magic as well. That said even if you did know the caps it's hard to really aim for a value given how crazy ilvl stat scaling goes particularly between different jobs

2. First off not all use dint but if you mean comparing the wsc to the dstat it's a huge it depends. There's actually a Calculating Blue Magic Damage page. Looking thru it actually does list some caps so there's that. But say for your doing example there 1 str would add about ~ 3.2 or 2.72 to base dmg before general magic multipliers (actually not sure if level correction still applies since I know they removed for ws but not sure on this) while int would add 2. Note though that even this can change as convergence will multiply in to make the wsc and dmg from skill worth more and burst affinity doubles the stat mod.

3. Wrong. It always does. For magic it's static value that the blue magic page still has listed as multiplier for some reason but for physical it will depend on tp. Without those abilities it will be counted as 0 tp though. And blue magic is really weird in that it's anchors are 0, 1.5k and 3k (and azure lore is ~3.5kish) when ws are 1k, 2k, 3k.

4. Not sure what asking. Formulas on calculating dmg are out though not sure if people went out and tested since pdif updates for that. att doesn't effect blue magic though. Again it's a huge it depends. To put this in perspective what you are asking it's like asking for weaponskills do you gear for wsc or att or other random thing. It's a huge balance that varies highly on your given stats, tp, jas being used, pdif, fstr and which spell.

5. I know a bit has but often when I ask it gets ignored or randomly some people with throw out numbers but not really the testing. It's really spotty so idk

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I probably should have said "effectively uncapped" since we're dealing with values that are impossible to reach outside of brew-type scenarios. I was wondering if the unreachable caps apply to all post 75-era spells or not. My stat target question is in case I'm greatly overestimating what stats clvl targets have to check if I'm overshooting caps by silly amounts at the cost of something else. Ties in to my later question about boss stats, which should probably be expanded to non-NMs as well if there are any mobs that have been mapped out already.

I found that page and went thru the blu guides here as well since posting, but everything that I've found is years old and out of date, or isn't mathy enough to answer anything specifically. :/ There are notes on it by the primary author that it is out of date, needs to be retested, and is no longer accurate. I have no idea what that half potency threshold thing is/was/does/etc. While digging around, I did find test results that said the level correction was removed. I was intentionally leaving out active JAs from what I'm doing since they are pretty clear cut on how they function in relation to the the WSCs. I just have no idea how when STR+80%; STR+1 = 3.2~2.72. Logically, I'd think that 80% of 1STR would be 0.8... Can you please point me where I need to read about this since it seems that I'm just confused on how WSCs work. ^^;;

The "tested since pdif updates" part not being current is probably what's important, now that I know that all the data I could find is old and declared to be out of date. I picked Sudden Lunge because I happened to know that it had a single simple mod. Question is now basically, what would the weighting be between STR (for fSTR) and AGI(+40% for WSC), all else equal? There should be values for each that would result in the same final number, assuming that all other values stayed the same in the damage formula. That should give us the weight for each stat+1 for simple comparisons to get the general idea of how these things will work most of the time.