She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Headset for a PC. (Again, trying to think towards the future because stuff happens.)

So okay. My old over the ear mic/headset that I got for 40 bucks off Amazon's still going strong. But I figure, such things break eventually. A friend showed me one but it's been discontinued.

..To make a long story short, I'm looking for a good replacement just in case that I can keep my eye on/wishlist on Amazon. The way I like'em is over the ear, solid and can take a beating, and also uses sound ports, NOT USB. (Rather keep my USB ports free for other things) I am willing to lay down quite a bit of money ($20-50; I'll pay more than 50 bucks if it's really good quality tho, but not too much more) to make sure it won't break when you breathe on it. (Had WAY too many cheapies break for no good reason.) It's mostly for voice on Discord/Skype/other voice chats, tho I also use it for headphones when I'm not doing that.

So, any recommendations for my watch list for these, guys?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I got these earlier this year because I was getting tired of recharging my wireless headset. The only complaint I have so far is the wire tends to twist.
    They are, however, USB. If you have that much issues with USB ports you can get a USB Hub. You can daisy chain together all the USB Ports you'll ever need from 1 port.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I can't recommend hyper x headsets enough, had mine for several years now and it shows no signs of giving up any time soon. Can find them on sale for $50 occasionally. Mic quality gets a lot of compliments on discord. Surprisingly it's nothing special but most manufacturers make awful microphones.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-...s=hyperx+cloud

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I have this at home https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Gaming...n+hyperx+air+2

Most comfortable set of headphones I've ever used, and the sound quality is great. Be aware if you have a spouse while using these, you may get dirty looks if she tries to talk to you cause you won't hear them at all. Astylla has all but thrown a water bottle at me trying to get my attention when I'm wearing them for gaming.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Thanks nep.

And Melena; even tho that's the USB version, I'll remember that when I rep my old one. Same family of headsets, I bet it has the same problem. Don't want my bossy sister throwing water bottles at me, so I'll just have to really pay attention. She already is doing something similar with my current ones; they are pretty comfortable, but when the sound's up, I sometimes don't hear her in the living room..

And if you guys want to know what the trooper one is, it's a Plantronics (discontinued now)...I just looked and the microphone boom is a little dirty at the spot where it comes down. Guess I need to clean it. ^^ Have had no complaints in years and years on the mic quality or anything though. But I just know, with my luck it'll give up the ghost sooner or later..

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Search tech there's a bunch of threads on this.

But tldr, get Sennheiser headphones and a 10$ zalman clip on mic. You pay a premium buying anything marketed as a headset and they use garbage parts, the zalman mic is fantastic and you'll have better sound quality with more comfort.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh shit misread your post thinking you were wanting the USB version. I had to give up on sound port ones since my youngest cat has decided all wires must die, so at least with the usb one, it's A: Braided, and B: i can bap him on the nose if he tries to chew it, unlike if he goes behind the computer.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Melena; I can understand with that cat. I'm guessing putting dishsoap/bitter apple/hot sauce/something nasty-tasting-but-nontoxic on cords/wires that aren't braided doesn't work with him? (Have read about cats that like to chew cords before out of curiosity when one of my friends said something about "doggone cat chewing on my cords"; was trying to find suggestions on how to stop that cat) But anyway, b/c my sister has some serious problems with cats, as in one scratch could actually cause her to lose a leg (Not funning there), I don't have problems with kitties chewing on cords. And don't worry, easy mistake to make. I know USB is more common now a days so I guess I'm a bit of a old fogie, wanting to use my audio ports. (Part of that is I like to keep the option of using my speakers, tho I really don't use them much)

Boyiee; I'll look into that as well, tho I'm not a audiophile. As long as it sounds decent (which a decent headset will) I'm usually happy.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I have a preference toward audio jacks as well. I've had bad experiences with USB headsets on both the input and output quality.

Worth noting that kingston supports those headsets, and the microphone can be disconnected. They sell individual parts for around $10, including the mic if it were to ever break, and things like the ear cushions if they ever wear down. I expect to have this headset for another 5 years at this point, maybe more thanks to that. Chances that I'd buy anything else in terms of AIO sets is 0 unless they're built in the same fashion with similar support. Just not worth it when your microphone goes and the entire set is useless to you.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/accessories

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Amen Nep on that so it's something to think about when I rep my Plantronics. (The pads are starting to look a little faded from years of use, and the microphone boom was dirty; hasn't broken yet. Also found some major ick/gross in the earpads, so might replace'em sooner rather than later; some of the plastic inside the pads is starting to flake off). The one disadvantage to the Plantronics is the mic is not removable, so I couldn't do that. They've been real troopers though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm not sure what that listing comes with, but when I bought mine it came with 2 pairs of ear cushions, the first of which suffered pretty much what you mentioned after a couple years of heavy (and I do mean heavy) use, so I swapped them out with the second pair. It's been nice to just take off and replace the parts that typically wear down.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't think it came with extra pads; Said pads are cloth on the outside and plastic underneath. The plastic is starting to come off. I see the handwriting on teh wall here. I guess I got up the courage to ask about headsets just in time. I think they got another 2-3 months in them though, maybe a bit longer if I'm careful. But means I need to save some money.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    So okay. My old over the ear mic/headset that I got for 40 bucks off Amazon's still going strong. But I figure, such things break eventually. A friend showed me one but it's been discontinued.

..To make a long story short, I'm looking for a good replacement just in case that I can keep my eye on/wishlist on Amazon. The way I like'em is over the ear, solid and can take a beating, and also uses sound ports, NOT USB. (Rather keep my USB ports free for other things) I am willing to lay down quite a bit of money ($20-50; I'll pay more than 50 bucks if it's really good quality tho, but not too much more) to make sure it won't break when you breathe on it. (Had WAY too many cheapies break for no good reason.) It's mostly for voice on Discord/Skype/other voice chats, tho I also use it for headphones when I'm not doing that.

So, any recommendations for my watch list for these, guys?
    On this budget, I think the best thing you can do is buy as good of a set of headphones as you can then add a clip on or desk mic. The packaging in the form of a headset comes with a premium that isn't really worth it.

Otherwise, my recommendation would be to save and go with a HyperX Cloud. It's very durable. I've broken numerous headsets including some top tier Razer models unintentionally, but my Cloud has gone for four years strong (the only other headset I have had that has lasted this long is the Logitech G35). Everyone I've ever talked to rates this headset as top tier in comfort.

EDIT: Reading what others have said about this headset, I want to mention that I have the Cloud I (original) version and it comes with braided cords for dual 3.5mm jacks.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Melena; I can understand with that cat. I'm guessing putting dishsoap/bitter apple/hot sauce/something nasty-tasting-but-nontoxic on cords/wires that aren't braided doesn't work with him? (Have read about cats that like to chew cords before out of curiosity when one of my friends said something about "doggone cat chewing on my cords"; was trying to find suggestions on how to stop that cat) But anyway, b/c my sister has some serious problems with cats, as in one scratch could actually cause her to lose a leg (Not funning there), I don't have problems with kitties chewing on cords. And don't worry, easy mistake to make. I know USB is more common now a days so I guess I'm a bit of a old fogie, wanting to use my audio ports. (Part of that is I like to keep the option of using my speakers, tho I really don't use them much)

Boyiee; I'll look into that as well, tho I'm not a audiophile. As long as it sounds decent (which a decent headset will) I'm usually happy.
    Everything is a kill to him, and all dark openings are a portal to Narnia. Water bottle doesn't even work as he'll drink water from the sink/shower. He's also stubborn as an ox.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

I've had a QPad QH-85 for years now and it shows no sign of wear. Before I only had cheap (< 20€) ones that usually broke within 1-2 years.
    Mic is detachable, cable is not braided but has a quite thick coating. The QH-85 is the "open" version that lets you hear your surroundings (it only dampens noise a bit), the QH-90 is the "closed" version.