Closed Thread
Page 38 of 170 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast
    United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    So.. he's a Bernie Bro?
    I guess so.

I will believe it when he stops himself from being a billionaire by giving away his money/stocks. And I mean to spread it out not give it to a couple people or his business etc.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

September Jobs Report: Unemployment Hits New Low, but Signals Are Mixed

https://nyti.ms/2AFPCq7

Meanwhile: Unemployment numbers mean shit when most jobs aren't a livable wage.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Most jobs are well over $15/hr, if that is your "livable wage" benchmark.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Most jobs are well over $15/hr, if that is your "livable wage" benchmark.

Where?

BG Level

Where?
    Median wage by education on the right should help.

I'm inclined to say insufficient data there. How many people are considered in the average? Location? Are we letting someone like Bezos skew the data? Not saying I couldn't make $15/hr work where I am, but I wouldn't call it high living and a good medical expense or accident would fuck me. I've also been saying the MW push for 15 is both too slow and insufficient. Which is further why the UBI concept is alluring to many even without Yang's attempt to rationalize it for skeptics and haters. People are simply worn out on working so much for so little while constantly being told the economy is booming or the stock market is great.

BG Level

Every full-time worker is included (so it's an appropriate companion statistic to the unemployment rate), but it's a median. Meaning half the people earn more and half less. Bezos just is a single person earning more, how much more is irrelevant to a median.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I think other factors can skew the optics of the results tho. Mostly meaning rent costs. I know in AZ they've exploded. Studios are running upwards of 900 a month. They used to be maaaybe $600 8 yrs ago

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    I think other factors can skew the optics of the results tho. Mostly meaning rent costs. I know in AZ they've exploded. Studios are running upwards of 900 a month. They used to be maaaybe $600 8 yrs ago
    A $900 studio here would be on the market for a microsecond. It could have 17 freshly murdered people in it, wouldn't change anything.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

it's a median. Meaning half the people earn more and half less. Bezos just is a single person earning more, how much more is irrelevant to a median.
    American education has failed so spectacularly

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Median wage by education on the right should help.

But where is the US is $15/hr the median? Are you saying all cities in all states currently offer that wage?

BG Level

But where is the US is $15/hr the median? Are you saying all cities in all states currently offer that wage?
    Wha...

What?

BG Level

In 2016 the real median wage was over $15/hr in every state in the US. Assuredly a little higher now than in 2016.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/w...or-states.html

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

What is a reasonable expectation of what a "living wage" should afford someone? Should that person be able to regularly afford to go on vacation? Contribute to their retirement? Buy a house reasonably easy? I think our definition of "living wage" is totally fucked and way off base. Living expenses and cost of housing, childcare, healthcare, and others are going up way faster than wages are. Also when did we reach the point where two incomes were REQUIRED for a family to exist? At some point the idea of what a living wage is changed it seems to me.

I'd say the decline started in the 80s since that's when MW really started to fail in keeping up with inflation.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I'd say the decline started in the 80s since that's when MW really started to fail in keeping up with inflation.
    From what I have read that is around the time when executive philosophy started to change at the biggest businesses from investing into employees to pandering to shareholders above all else though I might not be right on that.

BG Level

This might answer some of your living wage questions.

https://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about

Joyous Reaganomics.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

This might answer some of your living wage questions.

https://livingwage.mit.edu/pages/about

Thank you for that. It confirms my suspicions. People who think in terms of "living wage" think that it is ok for people to not be able to afford vacations, retirement, and luxury items. A living wage is literally the bare minimum you need to exist and live without relying on support from public safety nets. Essentially the living wage is what we should consider the poverty line. Ideally we should be pushing for as many people as possible to make better than a living wage enough that they can invest money, save money, contribute to retirement, buy luxury items, and go on vacation. Those are the things that contribute to a healthy economy and benefit everyone. Also a living wage is right on the edge so it is really easy for someone who is making a living wage to be plunged into financial chaos if they have an unexpected expense as the living wage leaves no room for error.

Holy fuck haha a living wage in my area for an adult with three kids is $45/hr I would love to be making that much! Also for a single adult it lists a living wage as around $14/hr which seems way way low specially considering how expensive housing is in this area.

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 170 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast