Malorne
    Blog Entries

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

not gonna watch the stroke will ruin my day i know it

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I think that goes under silly shit politicians say.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but the interview was about the economy so fuck it, putting it in this one
    Ron Paul seems to have had a stroke mid-interview
    video at link https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...g-live-stream/
    Damn all that hatred will catch up to you.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Grim reaper has a quota to fill but at least he isn't always targeting the best of us

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    not gonna watch the stroke will ruin my day i know it
    yeah, it's not some exaggerated gottem thing. it's literally a stroke. half his face goes limp as he struggles to get coherent words out. difficult to watch. would not recommend it.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ive-initiative

Uber, Lyft, Doordash, and Instacart in campaign filings have thrown in an additional $70 million to pass Proposition 22 in California that would exempt their companies from classifying their drivers as full employees. Their cumulative contributions to passing this proposition is $181.4 million.
    https://twitter.com/rcmoya84/status/1310677710872731648

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Okay, I got a good understanding on what this tries to do, and while in concept i can see why some folks would want it to fail, but I think it would be better if it passed. I'll explain why the best I can.

When I did Grubhub/Doordash, I joined it because it was a gig job and specifically because I was classified as an Independent Contractor and could pick/choose whatever order I wanted and drive whenever I wanted, and cancel schedules whenever I wanted, and pick up schedules when I wanted. Grubhub especially was very relaxed, and there was 0 guilt calling off when I needed too, I don't have an annoying manager to call when I need to take a day off, and so forth. The appeal of the Gig-App Jobs are the Freedom being an Independent contractor brings. "Employee Benefits" come with "Employee responsibilities", and I, and many others, go to these specifically to get away from "Employee responsibilities". Employee Jobs are Employee jobs, Gig jobs are gig jobs, the only people wanting this to fail are either people who have never worked a gig job voting on party lines, or the gig workers who are too short sighted to see how this is shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm no fan of how Grubhub has handled some pay adjustments in the last 2 years, but I'd gladly take a slightly lower average pay over just straight killing everything about the job I enjoyed. I frequent a Grubhub Drivers reddit and I assure you my sentiment is shared almost unanimously. Would we like Employee benefits? Sure, but we're not willing to give up Independent contractor freedoms to get them, most of us know and understand a Gig job is a gig job, its not designed to be a main job its designed to be a side-hustle and nothing more, you can make it work full time but that comes with its drawbacks. Most people who work these gig jobs have that understanding.

Like this shit ain't perfect and they're absolutely taking advantage of the drivers, I'd love a way to fight that that isn't "Curing the disease by killing the patient". I'll do just about anything that doesn't involve me losing the freedoms of being an independent contractor. Also worth pointing out, IDK about the others Apps, but Grubhub offers Healthcare to us, I have the option to sign up for it every year through them. Its probably not GOOD healthcare but we have the option.

If there are any Gig-App workers here on BG who feel differently, I'd like to hear your arguments. For everyone who doesn't or hasn't, you know you have no horse in this race so why bother?

I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

The rideshare/delivery app companies should make it an Opt-Out for employee status. Some people use it for supplemental income. Others as primary income. Let those in the former opt out of benefits for flexibility and keep an independent contractor status. Those in the latter should be employees with benefits. Becoming an employee would make a driver exclusive for a single company but that should be a choice for a driver, not the company.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

The whole flexibility thing is a crock of shit anyways, especially in food delivery.

Grubhub lets you go on/off whenever you want. But unless you preschedule blocks (which get snapped up within a few minutes of going live, especially the prime hours) you are at the bottom of the list for delivery orders, which means the majority of your orders are going to be the high distance no tip orders.

Doordash will let you go off/on so long as it is steady unless you sign up for a block of your own choosing prior. In my area it's not too bad, but heavily saturated markets, you pretty much have to schedule to go online otherwise there just isn't enough orders.

Amazon Flex is another you have to schedule yourself for. I can't speak for Postmates, Instacart, etc but I'm pretty sure you have to sign up for your blocks anyways, it's not just a go online and begin thing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The rideshare/delivery app companies should make it an Opt-Out for employee status. Some people use it for supplemental income. Others as primary income. Let those in the former opt out of benefits for flexibility and keep an independent contractor status. Those in the latter should be employees with benefits. Becoming an employee would make a driver exclusive for a single company but that should be a choice for a driver, not the company.
    This is what makes sense to me too. Let the dirty filthy casuals casual.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I do like that idea, but I wonder how it'd work from a business perspective, would it be easy to create that kind of environment? Shoot idk, but it'd be a nice compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    The whole flexibility thing is a crock of shit anyways, especially in food delivery.

Grubhub lets you go on/off whenever you want. But unless you preschedule blocks (which get snapped up within a few minutes of going live, especially the prime hours) you are at the bottom of the list for delivery orders, which means the majority of your orders are going to be the high distance no tip orders.

Doordash will let you go off/on so long as it is steady unless you sign up for a block of your own choosing prior. In my area it's not too bad, but heavily saturated markets, you pretty much have to schedule to go online otherwise there just isn't enough orders.

Amazon Flex is another you have to schedule yourself for. I can't speak for Postmates, Instacart, etc but I'm pretty sure you have to sign up for your blocks anyways, it's not just a go online and begin thing.
    I live in St Louis, its not an unpopular area, I'm on the bottom string of Schedule picking (Third tier, Grubhub, Saturday mornings) and for a time I would absolutely have to wake up on Saturday and grab my schedules then, but when I still did it before March this year, it was waaaay more relaxed. I could forget to schedule until Monday and still find schedules. Not to mention, many many people drop last minute so finding a schedule for 5PM at or around 5PM is super easy. It may be different now with Covid and such, guess I'll find out when I reinstate my account.

Also dude, these gigs apps are absolutely flexible, IDK what you're on man. if I want to work 4 hours I'll find a 4 hour schedule, or a 5 hour one and log out at 4hrs, or a 3 hour one and just stay logged in after and/or maybe find a dropped block I'll pick up for an hour. If I want to work from Noon to 2 and they only have Noon-4 schedules, I'll pick a noon-4 and log out at 2 with literally no penalties at all. Try telling your boss you're clocking out 2-3 hours early because you're done working for the day. You can't literally just open the App and pick up a $50 order but Flexibility isn't a 0% or 100% concept, there are degrees, flexibility is flexible

Like yes, I get you still need to schedule to get "Good shifts" and actual receive consistent orders(though you can still get orders "off shift", some of my biggest orders have been "off shift", but its just luck) , but theres still a frickenload more flexibility in that than there is in your average job (not all jobs, but average ones). Like the fact I can CHOOSE my schedule, how many days I work, how many hours I work, and drop them mid-week if I don't feel like going in is more than I'd get just about anywhere else. Bonus points that I don't have a boss/manager breathing down my neck and I can spend all my downtime literally sitting in an AC/heated car playing phone games in a parking lot.

For Grubhub, anyway, for the other ones I do not know. Instacart also dropped the Schedule system last I checked on them, IDK if they brought it back or not, don't remember.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah, my bay area region, grub hub if you aren't on th second it goes live, they are gone in minutes. You may get a Saturday at 10pm to 11pm unless you get lucky and are on as someone drops a block.

As for doordash, just read reddit. People complaining about scheduling, especially in college towns.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Yeah, my bay area region, grub hub if you aren't on th second it goes live, they are gone in minutes. You may get a Saturday at 10pm to 11pm unless you get lucky and are on as someone drops a block.

As for doordash, just read reddit. People complaining about scheduling, especially in college towns.

Yah, I know it varies from region to region, as i said I haven't been on since March when the Covid thing kinda started "picking up" and shit went into lockdown here. Kinda nervous when I get back in the market is going to be fucking flooded with unemployed people trying to make some cash. When I worked, I would usually skip monday/tuesday and just go straight to Wednesday~Sunday shifts (Which almost always gave me an edge over others picking the same time as me). Monday/Tuesday were usually slow days anyway so I didnt mind missing them.

Any schedules I didn't get i could usually grab the day-of from people who drop blocks. 5pm~Closing time shifts almost always opened up around 4PM, it was nutty here. Some areas are over-staffed though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yeah my doordash region is a tight rope. For weekend dinner rushes if they put peak pay above $4 an order, it gets completely slammed. If they keep it at 1-3, even with decking 80% of my orders I get enough to easily pull 25-30. I've had a couple of weekends where I came out making 500 bucks in 13 hours of work. Covid has been good to me.on that end.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I do like that idea, but I wonder how it'd work from a business perspective, would it be easy to create that kind of environment? Shoot idk, but it'd be a nice compromise.
    From a business side, it doesn't work. Uber and Lyft have created a new price floor that fucked over the taxi and airport shuttle industries and eventually themselves. The floor has to rise in order to make the economics work.

The food delivery side is foreign to me. Sounds like a logistical nightmare with all the apps competing with each other.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This is what makes sense to me too. Let the dirty filthy casuals casual.
    Don't go chasing Tiamats.

Stick to the Valkurm Emperors that you're used to.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Looks like the Democrats are trying hard to hand Trump (and all Americans) a win: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cov...er-2020-09-30/

Let's see how it works out for th. . . Oh, the turtle already said "no" and can't get above 1 tril? Cool cool cool