BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Issue with FFXI and new Dualshock 4 Controller.

tl;dr - Had a DS4 controller for years, worked perfectly in FFXI and everything else. Button membrane wore out, got new DS4 controller. Everything else works fine, but FFXI is having issues where input is lagging/not registering frequently. And it's not another program I have running, or a game software issue.

details - Important points bolded, because the version of this I posted on reddit have gotten some "didn't clearly read" responses.
    Spoiler: show
    I'm having the same issues as this guy https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...roller_issues/ but there was never any a clear resolution there.

My old DS4 broke (D-pad membrane wore out), I got a new one in between the November and May Return Home campaigns. Everything worked fine with the old controller back in November, new controller is fine for FFXIV and other games, but FFXI is having frequent lag/non-register issues.

Unlike the other guy, I don't have a xbox controller, and can't afford getting one or a logitech right now (and they're rubbish anyway, feel like crap), so my only option is to get the DS4 working. And KB/M is a non-starter, I'm also an old hand PS2 player and I simply NEED analog sticks to manage camera and movement.

I tried some of the suggestions in the other thread, and had no luck. Tried uninstalling the driver, but it didn't quite work*. Tried pulling out the xinput.dll of the ToolsUS folder, it didn't change anything.

Additional info for tech support: System state is the same as it was when things worked back in November, ONLY change is the new DS4 controller.

3rd party software: None - I don't use any form of windower for XI, or DS4Windows or anything like that.

Screenshot of XI gamepad config: https://bucket.bluegartr.com/ad7d203...33f156361f.png

Screenshot of places I tried uninstalling the controller driver: https://bucket.bluegartr.com/300004c...dd59e_1280.png

It says wireless, but I don't have bluetooth, I play with it wired up with the USB cable. (This has always been the case, after an a old LS Dynamis-Windurst run on the fat PS3, where a wireless hiccup caused me to aggro the death house.)

*To explain the driver uninstallation attempts. I asked the BG Discord for some help, they pointed me to the left screen to uninstall the driver. Did it, said it worked, restarted my computer, plugged controller back in. There was no "searching for drivers" popup. Go back to device manager, the controllers back. Do it again, without restarting, the controller pops right back after plugging it back in. I don't think that thing is actually uninstalling it. I searched around on my own, found the screens on the right, tried it again, no joy.

And that's where things are now. I can kinda muddle around in the game, get daily mog garden & coalition assignments done, but trying anything like ambuscade & such isn't really workable until things get fixed.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Have you tried launching FFXI through Steam so that you can use the controller support built into that? I don't have much experience with controllers in FFXI itself since I'm more of a KB-onry player, but Steam does both natively support the DS4 (and Nintendo controllers, etc) that have no official PC support, and gives you a lot of freedom to map them to whatever you want.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I haven't, since whenever I hear people talk about XI and Steam, it's in terms of "Forever Locked into Steam".
    I've also never launched a non-Steam program through Steam, so there's that too.