BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Yeah. Still have trainer battles tho. I also think the CP value is only here for the go integration and doesn't seem to actually do anything.

This is essentially a casual stroll through Kanto, with the original cast, and pretty modern graphics.

And I surprisingly do not hate it. And actually kind of like it.

Gonna try out multiplayer tonight.
    Would you say its worth full price, or wait for a price drop?

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Its Nintendo. There will never be a price drop.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I can't make that decision for you. Also like already said, Nintendo doesn't price drop.

It's a new take on Kanto with updated graphics and "updated" story, with completely streamlined mechanics to make it a more casual/chill experience.

If that's appealing to you... it's up to you how much that's worth to you.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Looks like they fixed the issue yellow had were Brock was super hard because there was nothing you could get that was strong against rock at that point. Pikachu and evee have learn a steel and water attack respectively now.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I had the pleasure of playing it around my friend's home last night and today with his kid (single player only, Eevee edition). We got up to 3rd gym (Surge) before I left:

- Soundtrack is nice! Much better than the ones heard in Gold/Silver and the remakes. Feels really nostalgic

- Catching Pokemon you don't have is fun. Definitely fun seeing one pop up that you don't own. We frantically chased a Beedrill (its model was big!), Bulbasaur (unique?) and Pikachu down in Vivridian Forest. Fun times
    - Pokemon randomly popping/flying into you gets annoying over time though

- True to the original game, each Pokemon trainer type uses the exact same model. Looks a bit weird/jarring over time

- One Fisherman/Engineer, I forget, but my friend clicked too fast for me to screenshot, opens up his battle to you with "I LIKE FIESTY KIDS LIKE YOU" uhhhh nintendo lol, I found it funny though

- I found the first 2 gym's casual checks quite funny
    - I was surprised to be able to catch a Pikachu in the forest; I would've thought the poster Pokes would be off limits
    - HMs no longer take up a slot. So no need for a slave Poke anymore!!!
    - Taking out a Poke and having it follow you around was cute. I especially enjoyed Magikarp following me around, it just looked so funny

Looks like they fixed the issue yellow had were Brock was super hard because there was nothing you could get that was strong against rock at that point. Pikachu and evee have learn a steel and water attack respectively now.

This was actually Red/Blue/Green only (if you picked Charmander). In original Yellow this was "fixed" by that you could pick up a Nidoran before Pewter.

My desire to purchase a Switch and the game was initially high, but after a bit of trudging around the thought of levelling a team again and also the thought of having to fighting all the trainers through the game again made me think otherwise.

Not sure how endgame will work. Do I just grind Elite 4? (I guess we all do that anyway but ...) or do I just mass catch Pokes to gain EXP on top of grinding Elite 4?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Couldn't you always get a Nidoran, even in R/B?

The Pokemon locations are either random or just weird. They changed a few of the original spawn points for some, but I was shocked to get a Chansey in Mt. Moon.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Beating the Elite 4 unlocks a bunch of extra trainer fights, 1 on 1 for every 151 OG Pokemon

Ridill
    BG Level

No abilities for this I've heard, but are there traits?

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

the +Stat -Stat traits exist yes. But other than that its essentially a recreation of Gen 1 and its battle system, no held items etc.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The pros:
    Game looks great.
    Eevee's voice is adorable
    Battles don't feel like such a chore, possibly because of the removal of random encounters.
    The story was fairly clever in its implementation.
    I like the chain catch system a lot.

The cons:
    I forgot to save before fighting Snorlax and it ran on me. Oops. Guess I can transfer a garbage one from PoGo.
    Trading system feels like 10 unnecessary steps back
    I'm on the fence with the joycon controls. Especially on certain harder things like the legendary birds.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've been playing it entirely in handheld mode because the single joycon controls are complete garbage.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyyy hope they make pokemon spawn in the over world in the main line game. I really wouldn't mind if they married the two catching systems. Allow us to fight/weaken the wild pokemon before throwing a poke ball at it. Then they could make it so a weakened or slept/paralyzed pokemon wouldn't move at all if you switch to the new throwing system.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Been watching my gf play this for the last two days on our TV. We love how large pokemon are actually...ya know, large on the screen, especially on the over world map. For lols she let her arcanine out of its ball to follow her around and we got a very pleasant and awesome surprise... :D

Spoiler: show

We had no idea you could ride it. Apparently there's almost 20 or so you can ride. Think it's same speed as a bike but way more fun.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've had no problems with the Joycon/Pokeball controlls even laying down in bed... Excellent throws abound. I do wish they'd explain it better especially when pokemon are side-stepping because I dont feel like they explain the angles you have to use to throw to them and its not as intuitive as you'd think, I had to experiment with it a little to figure it out.

Outside of that, I'll just paraphrase what Jim Sterling(who loved the game) said in his video about the Motion controls being mandatory instead of optional. -If you need to force people to use your control scheme it should probably not be in the game at all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Lawl, Metacritic has these at 81% critic aggregate, 52% user.

I guess folks don't like expensive, unreliable, pseudo-mandatory, smartphone gimmick peripheral controls subverting one of the most fundamental and beloved mechanics of the core games these seek to honor as remakes. A mechanic that was used in every other core entry in the 19 years following. That arguably had no problems. In a thing made expressly to capitalize on nostalgia.

Who could've seen that coming?

I'm having a fun time with this, but like I said a few months ago: it's a shame the return to Kanto (...on a HD home console, no less) is being wasted on this weird marketing experiment.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    Lawl, Metacritic has these at 81% critic aggregate, 52% user.

I guess folks don't like expensive, unreliable, pseudo-mandatory, smartphone gimmick peripheral controls subverting one of the most fundamental and beloved mechanics of the core games these seek to honor as remakes. A mechanic that was used in every other core entry in the 19 years following. That arguably had no problems. In a thing made expressly to capitalize on nostalgia.

Who could've seen that coming?

I'm having a fun time with this, but like I said a few months ago: it's a shame the return to Kanto (...on a HD home console, no less) is being wasted on this weird marketing experiment.
    I wouldn't call those user reviews as accurate, most likely fanboys just giving it 0s. I haven't heard a single person who got it say bad things.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If I can be honest Pokemon has been stale for me since Black and White and probably before that... I never even finished the Alola one cause as you said, its the same fucking game for 19 years, and the sales of the games are getting stale too. What they did here is a welcome change of pace for me, and an HD return to Kanto (which I don't care or ask for) with "Classic" Pokemon mechanics isn't entirely off the table and honestly if the new Main-line console Pokemon game doesn't have multiple regions to explore like fucking Pokemon Gold/Silver did more than a decade ago its on Pokemon/Nintendo for dropping the ball hard as f**k not Pokemon Lets Go.

The user scores, just going to say it, bunch of salty fucking neckbeards. Sorry not sorry, I doubt many of the negative reviewers even played the game. This game isn't a masterpiece and I'm not even trying to "make excuses" for its flaws, its a fun change of pace for the Pokemon series maintaining a lot of the core gameplay unlike most spin-off titles such as Mystery Dungeon.

Edit: Literally reading just a handful of the butthurt 0's~ does nothing but vindicate my earlier assessment its just a bunch of angry neckbeards hating it cause Pokemon Go and treating it like its a main-series installment like XY/Black White/Etc/etc which is isn't. This is me saying that, and I fucking LOVE grabbing my pitchfork

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Agreed. People have been giving Nintendo shit for years for not switching up the formula, and now people want to bash when they try something new? You can't have it both ways.

BG Level

or, hear me out here, not all people want the same thing. and some even want the new things tried to be good instead of bad.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Nintendo has primarily been a kids/family console system. It has spatterings of other age groups, but that's been its core and it's done well for itself making it that way.

Fuck neckbeards for not understanding that maybe newer generations of kids might like this stuff, and that's ok.

As an aside, I wanted to get this game for xmas for my kids, but I have a HUGE problem.

My son loves Pikachu.

My daughter loves Eevee.

WHICH VERSION DO I BUY? (They both love games btw.)