She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Trying to figure out a ISP fail. (FFXIV related. With some WoW thrown in.)

I was having horrible lag in FFXIV tonight, I couldn't do any dungeons since I kept d/cing. (Ruined a scheduled raid tonight)

One of my brothers also plays WoW; he was lagging too. I thought I'd ask. Is there any way I can run this down EXACTLY so I can have my brother bean them over the head? The AT&T tech support is NO help.

Since I don't know a flying flip about WoW, we'll start from my end. I did a tracert to my data center (I'm on Primal, got the IP from ARRstatus) so maybe this'll help run this down:

Code:
     1     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  dsldevice.attlocal.net [192.168.1.254]
      2    25 ms    23 ms    46 ms  108-81-28-1.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net [108.81.28.1]
      3    22 ms    23 ms    23 ms  76.239.207.74
      4    30 ms    31 ms    34 ms  12.122.96.122
      5    27 ms    27 ms    27 ms  12.122.141.233
      6    25 ms    38 ms    25 ms  192.205.36.158
      7    26 ms    26 ms    24 ms  ae-1.r04.atlnga05.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.59]
      8    30 ms    26 ms    25 ms  ae-4.r21.atlnga05.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.202]
      9    43 ms    48 ms    44 ms  ae-6.r23.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.116]
     10    84 ms    83 ms    84 ms  ae-8.r23.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.154]
     11    88 ms    87 ms    87 ms  ae-41.r02.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.119]
     12    86 ms    92 ms    88 ms  ae-3.r00.scrmca02.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.7.11]
     13    85 ms    83 ms    87 ms  xe-0-1-0-1-1.r00.scrmca02.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [129.250.195.46]
     14    85 ms     *       86 ms  204.2.229.234
     15    88 ms    84 ms    85 ms  204.2.229.10
    Thanks to anyone who can give suggestions. Oh and yes, I don't think throw a water bottle at the [censored] router is going to be any help. Combat boots won't help either.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

While it doesn't help, those ping times isolated aren't particularly bad, you could run a ping -t <targetip> which will keep it pinging (though beware the host might take offense) and see if that goes ape when your connection does. (you stop it with ctrl+c, to get an overview without stopping it hit ctrl+break)

You could also keep an eye on other services and see if they go down when the games do. it could be a buggy switch somewhere along the path to the datacenters, does your router have monitoring tools? could be something else running on your network causing mayhem.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'll check that. I also did a change on the router to forward ports, and noticed there was a setting for World of Warcraft on it, so told my WoW playing brother to mess there and see if that stopped his lag.

After I did the port forwarding for FFXIV on there, I noticed my lag was a lot less bad (I'd been lagging on gathering for instance last night). I guess I've just been lucky but thing is it has been pretty random when it does this. (It did not have a setting for XIV, I had to do three custom profiles to forward all the ports)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Uh, port forwardings won't and can't fix your issue. They would only be needed for games/programs that don't have a central/mediating server (which is not the case for any MMO).
    Finding the reason for a laggy/bad connection is always difficult, but when both of you had lag in the same time frame it's very likely that either the router or your provider was at fault. Proofing that is another thing...
    If your router has some form of diagnostics info, like the current sync status to your provider etc, you might get lucky. If not, bad luck. Best thing that can happen is someone on the provider hotline who actually listens and wants to help.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gotcha Niya. I did look up Square's recommendations and they do tell you that port forwarding can help though with lag and d/cing for no reason for some reason. /shrug. I felt it was worth a try.

I also tried unplugging the router/modem for 3 minutes to reset it (Why Uverse didn't put a bloody power button on their thing, I don't know) My WoW playing brother said that actually helped him!

I also saw a recommendation that if you use Avast Antivirus (I do) to exclude the game folder from being protected by it. I just did that for insurance. ^^ Other than that, I'd say it's Uverse's fault, and since their tech support is shite..well, I don't need to explain, do I? They tried to sell me a faster speed, which I refused when I called (I don't pay that bill so I wouldn't do that to my brother who DOES pay it).

[Edit] I also discovered that antivirus can cause some trouble with it connecting too, so I whitelisted what I could. If I still have connection issues, might need to find another antivirus. I don't use any third party tools buuut..

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

Well, forwarding stuff should only help when your router is too dumb to handle NAT ("hiding" your internal IP address from the internet) properly, and that would qualify it for the trash can.
    Whitelisting game/program folders can speed them up a little, but it should only make a difference when it's installed on a HDD and not an SSD.

And yes, AV programs wanting to scan everything can interfere sometimes, disabling stuff like HTTPS scanning (that is usually done by trying to sneak in a fake certificate to eavesdrop on the connection...) is a good idea.
    If you wanna get rid of Avast and use Win10, the included defender offers decent detection rates (they are actually pretty high according to newer comparisons) and is quite easy to handle. No crapware like those useless "internet security" bundles included, just pure AV protection ^^