+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

There was enough to be hopeful, but sprint ruined the Halo franchise. They should have just up'd the default speed and ditched it. Or they need to take what Apex did and offer auto-run as a menu option. That was the biggest complaint for the first 6 months of Apex's release. I don't know of a single player that has this turned off in Apex and is worth a shit, so normal walk speed may as well not exist (99.9% of the time its either run or crouch). Just because other games did it doesn't mean it has any business being in Halo.

Valorant did the same thing. Good players immediately set run to default and only slow down via button, when necessary.

I somehow doubt 343 is going to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    There was enough to be hopeful, but sprint ruined the Halo franchise. They should have just up'd the default speed and ditched it. Or they need to take what Apex did and offer auto-run as a menu option. That was the biggest complaint for the first 6 months of Apex's release. I don't know of a single player that has this turned off in Apex and is worth a shit, so normal walk speed may as well not exist (99.9% of the time its either run or crouch). Just because other games did it doesn't mean it has any business being in Halo.

Valorant did the same thing. Good players immediately set run to default and only slow down via button, when necessary.

I somehow doubt 343 is going to get this right.
    Brah wtf are you talking about, Valorant, like CS before it just has a default run speed with a walk button that is entirely based around making no sound when you walk and has nothing to do with a sprint button like halo or apex. There is no auto-run in the menu, it's your default speed and you just have a walk button. The only other difference in speeds is you run at slightly different speeds depending on what weapon you have out.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Jesus the game looks like ass. This is what happens when you don't embrace a new generation and make it so your new game has to run on that piece of shit launch day Xbox One.

They turned the Brute into an unironic ape.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Looks like is going to launch it unfinished have the community playtest after they paid.

Spoiler: show

I’ll just buy the game next year once they patch it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Can someone explain to me how sprint ruins a game?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bweigelt View Post
    Brah wtf are you talking about, Valorant, like CS before it just has a default run speed with a walk button that is entirely based around making no sound when you walk and has nothing to do with a sprint button like halo or apex. There is no auto-run in the menu, it's your default speed and you just have a walk button. The only other difference in speeds is you run at slightly different speeds depending on what weapon you have out.
    Yeah, thats what I said, right? The point is it doesn't have a button to sprint. Apex had sprint, everyone fucking hated it and many quit over it, and then they made auto-run a default speed essentially. About 99.9% of people have it turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Can someone explain to me how sprint ruins a game?

Not sure what you're looking for....most Halo players simply don't like it in Halo. A majority of die-hard Halo players hated when sprint was added to the more recent versions. It's literally the most talked about Halo topic for the last 8(?) years. It is almost a meme with Halo+Sprint at this point. When that Halo World Championship had like 30 people in the stands, sprint was the #1 reason listed by the Esports orgs as to why Halo was suddenly dead.

Very first Google result may have a better explanation of what you're looking for:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/f...98c02d8b/posts

"Halo did one major thing that games like counterstrike, battlefield, COD and shadowrun did not. It did not penalise you for moving. In those other games, you were. If you moved, jumped, strafed, etc your crosshairs bloomed out and you incurred an accuracy penalty. In halo, you didnt.
    Halo is ALL about moving and shooting.
    Sprint destroys this fundemental pillar of Halo gameplay."

People go back and forth with him as to his reasoning, but I can assure you this is the common complaint with 343 Halo games. That is a Halo site from a thread leading up to Halo 5, when it was announced an altered sprint was being retained and implemented. MLG even tried to get a modded lobby that removed Sprint for competitive gameplay and they couldn't work it out with 343. It was their biggest game at the time and completely died in the scene with all the bullshit 343 added, with sprint being the biggest offender.

Edit: 2nd Google result -

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/commen..._loadouts_and/

Guy argues that ordinances killed it, not sprint, but he plainly states that most people are angry over sprint. The top response mentions ordinances as the primary reason, but also importantly states:

"And as you saw with Halo Reach and Halo 4, sprint took so much of that map control necessity out of the game, thus completely changing competitive play as a whole. I'm not saying I feel one way or another about sprint because I want to see how Halo 5 plays before making judgment, but I definitely don't think sprint brings anything good to Halo overall per se."

So there you go, some reasons. I can find plenty more, but I assure you sprint was a major player in Halo being dead outside of initial hype sales.

Edit again: 3rd Google result -

https://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8...s-bad-in-halo/

This one may actually be the best, since it lists a shitload of reasons.

BG Level

Oh, and there are 2 reasons Master Chief Collection has been so successful on Steam:

1. Competitive Halo on PC
    2. Competitive Halo without Sprint

People wouldn't give a fuck if it was Halo4/5...they want to play 2/3 before the gameplay was ruined.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This may be one of the dumbest reasons for "this is why this game series died" that I have ever seen

Bunch of fucking babies

BG Level

It may be lol, but that’s just how it happened. It doesn’t take a pro player to tell the major play style difference between Halo 2/3 and 4/5 though. If you’re super casual you may never notice, but any above average, competitive player will pick it up very quickly.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Maybe they should just play Quake then, if they want an arcade shooter (which is exactly the impression I get by them complaining so hard about there being bloom)

BG Level

It’s not like it’s some minority outspoken group. The majority of dedicated Halo players all felt the same. Halo 3 was an absolute eSports monster. Halo 4 clung to the previous glory for only a short bit and Halo 5 was basically dead on arrival. There is a very obvious downward trend the franchise took once 343 took over.

I’ll stay hopeful just because it’s been so long and I’ll certainly buy the game, but that movement speed and push to sprint are terrible signs. No one even brought up the shitty grass particles that were disappearing and reappearing throughout the entire demo. And it was running PC....

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The graphics are truly bad for a next gen title yeah I agree with that

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I love the simplicity of it, kind of going back to the first Halo. And the open world aspect would be interesting. But something about the graphics is really offputting to me. Maybe because everything looks like plastic? Or maybe it has a kind of dull sheen a lot of games use nowadays (like Valorant, since people brought it up). Plus big bad gassing on at the end was an odd choice.

Dunno, maybe i'm being too harsh but I went from playing Ghosts of Tsukushima to watching this and it did not impress me for a next gen game. I heard talk this was footage from an alpha build, so hopefully the final product will be better.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Maybe they should just play Quake then, if they want an arcade shooter (which is exactly the impression I get by them complaining so hard about there being bloom)
    IDK Man, Halo had a winning formula and it tried (and failed) chasing the Call of Duty/Modern shooter crowd because thats what corporations do. They're never content with their own fan-base, they gotta chase others and "Bloom" was the thing/still is. Its not like the people wanting the No-Bloom/No-Sprinting back are asking for a radical change in the Halo gameplay that the series never had, or are trying to change Halo into something it never was... they're literally asking for it to go back to when Halo was a good game, competitively.

That and Quake is like the Anti-Halo. That game is balls-to-the-wall SPEED DEMON, its like Doom in PVP form.

Anyway, that argument aside, and on to the "Graphics"... Yah, the Graphics look so bad I seriously thought Halo Infinite was just an MMO or something... I can't believe its a Next-Gen title. On one hand, It does LOOK like Halo:CE, in the whole "feel" area, but theres something ... off putting about it. Its like looking at a distorted memory. I Can't find the right word, honestly, but I know how I feel when looking at it.

BG Level

Seems pretty straight-forward: they built the game to run on Xbox One and then the PC/XSX versions are just shitty 4k upscaled versions. Also, there is no way that is just an Alpha build. It said Demo in the menu, for one. If you were showing it off to the World for the first time, and it was an alpha, you'd be sure to plaster "ALPHA" all over the damn thing. The game was all but confirmed as a XSX launch title, which is only a few months away (November?). That build is beyond beta even.

It was already confirmed to be a GAAS, so my guess is their retail product is 95%+ complete and their devs are already working on season pass / future content.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Anyway, that argument aside, and on to the "Graphics"... Yah, the Graphics look so bad I seriously thought Halo Infinite was just an MMO or something... I can't believe its a Next-Gen title. On one hand, It does LOOK like Halo:CE, in the whole "feel" area, but theres something ... off putting about it. Its like looking at a distorted memory. I Can't find the right word, honestly, but I know how I feel when looking at it.
    Easiest way to word it would be "looks like shit".

Honestly I don't even personally think it looks as good as late stage/current ps4/Xbox one games. It kind of looks like what you'd see if you zoom in really close on an rts or isometric game or something...

Honestly think most of the issue is with the lighting. Looks so dated.

BG Level

I don't really get into console wars because I just get them all, but if Halo Infinite was Microsoft's big plan to battle Sony' PS5, they are fucked. This reveal was a huge dud and Sony's exclusives obliterate MS's.

You can't go from your competition releasing Last of Us 2 / Ghost of T as the most recent "last-gen" titles to dropping a game that looks significantly older as your big title for a "next-gen" console.

All Sony has to do is make their console $50 cheaper than whatever price MS sets, take the initial loss, and reap the long-term benefits.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Honestly with how game pass is being marketed, especially with the eventual inclusion of xcloud (lol cloud gaming), it is already really difficult to justify buying an Xbox unless you're deathly afraid of computers. Can effectively get anything you'd want out of buying an Xbox by just turning on your computer and paying $5 a month.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Microsoft has made it clear that they don't really give a shit if you buy their console, just as long as you use their services and play their games.

Shit that probably is better for them in the long run with consoles historically being sold at a loss.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah you guys are being stupid. Microsoft wants you in their ecosystem, they don't care if you buy the box they are breaking even or taking a loss on so long as you buy their game pass or use their ecosystem. Get with the times grandpas