Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

PC gaming across the house options? (HDMI or Stream)

I'm due to be a Dad at the end of the year and I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of my time on my couch and stuck in my living room. I have a switch and a PS4 that will finally get use at least but I don't want to neglect my beast of a PC (1080ti ultrawide monitor). I also have a massive steam library with probably 100 games I've never touched... AAA games like Doom, BioShock, Witcher, Middle Earth, Destiny 2 etc.

I have a slightly outdated laptop that I currently can just plug in with HDMI and use ds4 to connect a controller and that works okay for at least decent gameplay but then I can't use my 1080.

The easiest, cheapest method is a long HDMI cable from the PC, but how do I connect a PS4 or switch pro controller from a 25+ feet away. Do I just use super long USB cables and go wired?

What about the steam link or nividia shield, would those be the best option? Will I get the most out of my PC with those? I can run a cat5/6 to them but I really don't want to lose quality like an HDMI could kind of prevent but I have no clue how to connect a controller. Thanks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If your PC has bluetooth you can connect both a PS4 Controller and the Switch's via that. If you're desperate I'm pretty sure you can buy a USB bluetooth dongle.

The Steam Link is pretty good but really works best to prevent low latency if you hardline that shit.

https://www.giantbomb.com/steam/3015...ts-55-1796456/

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The problem with Bluetooth is the PC is in an office across the house and there's several walls in between, will it work and be responsive or will there be major lag?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've been using an Nvidia Shield for my PC streaming needs. The PC does all the heavy lifting and the Shield mirrors it perfectly. I've done both wired and wireless and while there is a difference in latency (Guild Wars 2 and Just Cause 3) between them, it's not enough to take away from gameplay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I have a Steam Link and I found it a little wonky to use, especially with a PS4 controller. However, I didn't give it much effort and I only paid $5 for the Link so whatever. Even though my monitor is 2560x1440 and my TV is 4K the Link only allowed 1920x1080. Also, and maybe it's a Dark Souls 3 thing, the controller just did not want to work with it. For my PC I use a cheapo bluetooth with my DS4 and it's ok a few feet but more than say six feet forget it.

Have you considered putting the gaming PC in the living room and building a cheap office PC or buying a pre-built? I say this because I recently looked at 100 foot HDMI and on Newegg I was seeing $50-$85 which is an auto no for me. Sure a micro USB cord will be cheaper, but is it feasible with the structure of the interior of your home? If you're handy and felt like trying a project you could also make yourself a custom case!

What model GPU is it and do you use a AIO cpu cooler?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Bluetooth USB PS4 controller is my go to for handheld. I use it to play Dark Souls and a few other games. It's very easy to use, especially with Steam.

If you're going through walls you may be better off with an HDMI cable though.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Looks like shield will be the best choice for me then. It supports 4k and will allow me to use a Bluetooth controller which looks like I wouldn't be able to extend far enough and through walls otherwise.

Definitely not moving my PC to the living room and building a box even remotely comparable will run me probably $800+.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

YES I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION COME OCTOBER GOD BLESS YOU ALL CANT WAIT TO GAME FROM ACROSS THE HOUSE

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

i have the nvidia shield thing and im too lazy to hook it up to my 1080ti lol

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    YES I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION COME OCTOBER GOD BLESS YOU ALL CANT WAIT TO GAME FROM ACROSS THE HOUSE
    We living that Dad life. December here.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    i have the nvidia shield thing and im too lazy to hook it up to my 1080ti lol
    Lol. You literally need to sign in to geforce experience on both devices. That's it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Regardless of the direction you go, if you don't wire it up I highly recommend you get a whole-home wifi system so everything is zoned out correctly. You will notice a difference. Forever.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Update:

I got a Nvidia shield for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Shit is cash. It's absolute perfect for what I wanted and more and I don't even have it hard wired still using it over wifi. Witcher 3 and Mordor are great streamed with my PC's ridiculous settings and there was a sale on it since Nvidia added GeforceNow for free so I got the controller package. Going to get a BT keyboard and mouse next to play WoW from it lmao. Already working on expanding my steam/PC game list to stream more games in the future, just waiting on crazy sales for most things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    Regardless of the direction you go, if you don't wire it up I highly recommend you get a whole-home wifi system so everything is zoned out correctly. You will notice a difference. Forever.
    I don't know what this is lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I don't know what this is lol.
    wifi mesh is the new thang, you have a main wireless router and then additional nodes (2-3 nodes will do big house) all over the house that propagate the signal better

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

To expand a little on what they said and what Mesh is:

in a regular wifi system, most people have only one router and hope that it covers enough of the residence well enough. In the cases where that doesn't suffice, most will traditionally having had to use range extenders, which create an extra wifi-networks that your units jump between depending on signal strength.

Mesh technology (which is by no means a new thing, but hasn't really been common in consumer level hardware), makes it one big seamless network, you have the same wifi network everywhere in the house and the different APs in addition to the core router/controller are just nodes that provide the same network signal.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I got some Velops recently, dont notice any difference tbh but my ISP is ASS so I guess that's the problem

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    wifi mesh is the new thang, you have a main wireless router and then additional nodes (2-3 nodes will do big house) all over the house that propagate the signal better
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    To expand a little on what they said and what Mesh is:

in a regular wifi system, most people have only one router and hope that it covers enough of the residence well enough. In the cases where that doesn't suffice, most will traditionally having had to use range extenders, which create an extra wifi-networks that your units jump between depending on signal strength.

Mesh technology (which is by no means a new thing, but hasn't really been common in consumer level hardware), makes it one big seamless network, you have the same wifi network everywhere in the house and the different APs in addition to the core router/controller are just nodes that provide the same network signal.
    Won't this require the mesh node to be hard wired wherever it is placed in order or replicate the signal?

Could I place it in my attic if that's the case if the rooms I want to affect are directly below it so that I don't have to run cat5 down the wall to the system?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

hm no, only the main router needs to be wired to the modem or whatever- the rest only need a power plug

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Won't this require the mesh node to be hard wired wherever it is placed in order or replicate the signal?

Could I place it in my attic if that's the case if the rooms I want to affect are directly below it so that I don't have to run cat5 down the wall to the system?

To expand a tiny bit more on Fondues answer: it would depend on the technical implementation of the solution you go for, but mesh nodes as such does not need to be Ethernet wired (the nodes will need power though, but POE, regular power adapters, or other clever implementations exist), but as Fondue said, at some point you need a connection between the mesh network and whatever kind of solution connects your LAN to WAN.