+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Spoiler: show
    Really hope they just get paired up. I very much doubt as well they'd be booted out, as Vil said, TJ would've done it right than and there. No need for cliffhangers. Just would suck if they get sent to the Redemption house. 3/5's of my team getting taken out of the main house and contest on the first episode would be brutal lol.

Also, it's kind of bullshit Bananas got a pass on the initial digging challenge and subsequent surprise elimination of another team.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace
    Byrd robbing me of 10 points for Zach
    My bad. I carried the spreadsheet over from last season when there were only 28 contestants, the last two contestants got jumbled a bit here. Fixed it and re-sent it out. The only difference was Zach got another 10 points, which added to your score for the week.

Spoiler: show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Also, it's kind of bullshit Bananas got a pass on the initial digging challenge and subsequent surprise elimination of another team.
    I'm kind of in agreement, but at the same time, he wasn't eligible to be the team that got to knock someone else out. They did the same thing with CT last year, when he had a passport issue, gave him a pass through the first challenge over an issue that wasn't his fault. I'm mostly OK with it.

How do we feel about spoilers for already aired episodes? Obviously, anything about future episodes (or seasons) is a spoiler, but do we really need to carry spoiler tabs after the episode airs? It's easy enough for me to not check the thread until after I've watched the episode, and I'm west coast, so most of you guys get it earlier anyway. Anyone object to just allowing spoilers once the episode airs?

BG Level

After the episode airs everything is off limits in my opinion. It's essentially the same people checking the challenge threads season in season out lol.

You'd figure to know by now to avoid it if you haven't seen the episode.

BG Level

Yeah, last night I figured to err on the side of caution just because some people might have been looking to see the final draft picks if they hadn't seen before the episode began. Once the season is going, you can probably count on one hand the # of posts that aren't basically about the episode that most recent episode. The closest I can think of an exception in the past couple years was the season when there was some discussion of "stranded with a million $" mixed in sparingly. That guy Cody had plenty of vendettas on that show. Why hasn't he been on the Challenge yet?

And as for the part in the spoiler tags, there's the precedent for things, so whatever. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter since precedent only matters when it's convenient. This is the Challenge, where they rarely are consistent with anything.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vil View Post
    That guy Cody had plenty of vendettas on that show. Why hasn't he been on the Challenge yet?
    General consensus on /r/mtvchallenge was that he burned all his bridges with production after the show during the "publicity" tour for Stranded, as well as on social media with regards to getting on the Challenge. He and Alex seemed like natural rivals for the Challenge, although I thought he would probably talk a huge game and get sent into every Elimination he could until he eventually went home.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Not a fan of the quick, Day 1 eliminations. Wish they had a format where teams would acquire ranking points and after every 3rd challenge, the bottom 2 teams would have an elimination battle. Afterward, ranking points would reset but a portion would roll over based on your rankings the previous cycle to reward you for higher placements.

All these quick and frequent eliminations and not enough competing.

Carie Marie... that’s sad. Really really sad. Begging for make out partners. 2 of which have gfs already. Come on.

Also, Kam and Kayleigh should definitely getting paired together to remain in the game.

GATTACA!

BG Level

The day 1 eliminations are so lame. Even worse was letting the winning team pick ANOTHER team to go home. What if he had picked bananas?

Cara is the fucking worst, nice to have another reminder.

I loved Kailah her first season but she is terrible now too. It was great when bananas called her out the next morning.

Redemption house is stupid. Because they have it, they don't feel bad about having "cheap" eliminations, like the day 1 elims. How about you scrap the stupid redemption house and the unfair eliminations. I don't care if people get ganged up on and continuously voted in, that's the game, but you should ALWAYS have a chance to win your elimination and stay in the game, imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    The day 1 eliminations are so lame. Even worse was letting the winning team pick ANOTHER team to go home. What if he had picked bananas?
    They tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Moss
    Cara is the fucking worst, nice to have another reminder.
    I've never been a huge fan, but I've never hated her either. At least for me, this was a new low for Cara. Imagine if that was a guy behaving like that.

I loved Kailah her first season but she is terrible now too. It was great when bananas called her out the next morning.
    Yeah, when she was an underdog, she was fine. Now she's become Camila without the racism.

Redemption house is stupid. Because they have it, they don't feel bad about having "cheap" eliminations, like the day 1 elims. How about you scrap the stupid redemption house and the unfair eliminations. I don't care if people get ganged up on and continuously voted in, that's the game, but you should ALWAYS have a chance to win your elimination and stay in the game, imo.
    I agree. I was OK with using Redemption House once. I'm annoyed they're using it again, at least so soon. It shouldn't be a regular part of the game.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Omg. What a fucking joke. Props to Zach and Amanda for making a smart play, fuck you to MTV for literally rigging the show.

I've never been a huge fan, but I've never hated her either. At least for me, this was a new low for Cara. Imagine if that was a guy behaving like that.
    Her arrogance doesn't do her any favors but maybe my biggest pet peeve for ANYONE on these shows is when they bitch and complain at normal actions in the game. For example, she throws a hissy fit whenever someone (like Kam last season) is like "Cara is the strongest competition, so I'll use my *grenade-equivalent* on her." She gets all righteously indignant like "how dare you!" and it drives me up a fucking wall. She's like Bananas without the self-awareness

I agree. I was OK with using Redemption House once. I'm annoyed they're using it again, at least so soon. It shouldn't be a regular part of the game.
    The other issue being the teams that inevitably get screwed over by getting eliminated closer to the end and not getting a chance at redemption. The only implementation I liked was the season that bananas and nany were eliminated first but won their 2v2 single elimination every week until they got to return. That was epic and felt deserved.

Side-note: I joined a Challenge discussion group on Facebook and (surprise) it was a fucking cesspool. Really base discussions ("who is the cutest couple?!") and the worst opinions you have ever seen. It made me ashamed to like the show for a half second so I quickly left the group.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Omg. What a fucking joke. Props to Zach and Amanda for making a smart play, fuck you to MTV for literally rigging the show.
    The only defense I can offer is that Bananas also didn't have a chance to win that challenge, so there was no way for him to win immunity. Same thing with his partner, who was still mid-travel.

Her arrogance doesn't do her any favors but maybe my biggest pet peeve for ANYONE on these shows is when they bitch and complain at normal actions in the game. For example, she throws a hissy fit whenever someone (like Kam last season) is like "Cara is the strongest competition, so I'll use my *grenade-equivalent* on her." She gets all righteously indignant like "how dare you!" and it drives me up a fucking wall. She's like Bananas without the self-awareness.
    I would agree that Bananas definitely plays up slights against him as part of the game, for a few reasons. 1) Intimidating and overreacting to perceived insults is likely to make people think twice about throwing him in again assuming he does come back (or on next season). 2) He sets up lots of potential rivals (preferably good players) for future seasons. 3) It's good TV.

I don't think Cara Maria does these things for good TV. I think she does them because that's who she is.

The only implementation I liked was the season that bananas and nany were eliminated first but won their 2v2 single elimination every week until they got to return. That was epic and felt deserved.
    I did like that one. It was basically Survivor's Redemption Island - the earlier you got eliminated, the more rounds you had to win to get back in the game.

Side-note: I joined a Challenge discussion group on Facebook and (surprise) it was a fucking cesspool. Really base discussions ("who is the cutest couple?!") and the worst opinions you have ever seen. It made me ashamed to like the show for a half second so I quickly left the group.
    I haven't been part of many decent Facebook groups for anything over time. I really prefer Reddit for that. At least with the upvotes and downvotes there are consequences, although there are still troglodytes, stupid opinions and "Who is the Cutest Couple" threads as well.

Which is weird because on Reddit you have anonymity whereas on Facebook you don't, now that I think about it.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    The only defense I can offer is that Bananas also didn't have a chance to win that challenge, so there was no way for him to win immunity. Same thing with his partner, who was still mid-travel.
    True. The core issue is having "eliminate someone just because!" exist at all.

I would agree that Bananas definitely plays up slights against him as part of the game, for a few reasons. 1) Intimidating and overreacting to perceived insults is likely to make people think twice about throwing him in again assuming he does come back (or on next season). 2) He sets up lots of potential rivals (preferably good players) for future seasons. 3) It's good TV.
    Sorry I was unclear, I meant that Bananas does not usually overreact when it isn't warranted. He gets that he is a target because he wins a lot and he owns it. He isn't shy about letting people know that they screwed up or that he's gonna get them back. I'm cool with that.

I don't think Cara Maria does these things for good TV. I think she does them because that's who she is.
    I agree and I hate the persecution complex.

I haven't been part of many decent Facebook groups for anything over time.
    It's good for music because it's part sharing recent stuff and part coordinating meetups. That's about all the utility I've found

BG Level

I don't really like the call they made with Bananas, but I don't hate it either. I don't know the timeline of Bananas needing a new partner/the new partner arriving, but even if he was able to be there the next day, sometimes that's just not going to work with a production schedule. Then again, unlike the CT situation, this site was just the middle of a freaking field where they dug some holes, not some tourist site.

Whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Think of the alternative. Do you really want 15+ minutes of Redemption House footage every episode where all he does is whine about how unfair it was that he didn't get a chance and/or play really lame pranks to pass the time?

At this point, if they're going to have all this stuff in a season, I'd rather they do Redemption only online like whatever season that was a couple years ago. Then the episode of the return or one before, maybe show footage of what's been going on.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Ultimately I don't care that they didn't let them eliminate Bananas because it's more annoying that they were in the position to eliminate anyone, period. Better that it was a new team I guess? Although they might've been fun, we'll never know.

I agree with that, keep the redemption house mostly online only.

BG Level

The Challenge 32: Final Reckoning

Agreed. Keep the redemption stuff to a minimum. I’m not a fan of it in general. I think it was last season(?) where it would arbitrarily be decided when a challenge would occur to decide who was going back. That shit was lame.

The one season where it was just one team in the house, and each subsequent team there was a challenge to stay in the house until it was ultimately decided when to go back to the main cast. That was probably the fairest way to go.

BG Level

I'm not sure if that's a downgrade or not for Kam, getting paired up with Kayleigh. In terms of actual challenges, it might be, but Melissa would be much more likely to make new enemies in the house.

Maybe by the end of next episode they'll have revealed all the twists and how this season works? I don't really care too much about not having even part of a normal round start last week, but give us something here. It's not even like they had a night out partying or something. They were just doing nothing because they seemed to sober them up for 24 hours and made a full episode out of that. Chuck/Britni at Redemption was much more tolerable a segment to put in the episode than some Redemption stuff in the past, but was still pretty much a waste of time. Why do they have to show them showing footage from the main house? Yuck.

A few teams are going to be ridiculous in anything that is remotely physical and requires both people to do a relatively equal share of the work. This challenge had just about the least surprising result imaginable. Even if those heats were reversed and Tori/Derrick were swapped for a team that could have been a disruptive force, one of them would probably still manage double digits. Nice going by the rookie girls. Angela seems like a mess, but Faith may have some potential.

It would be really cool if my team weren't trying to either get rid of other people on my team or people that could assist my players in getting fantasy points.

BG Level

Angela irritates the hell out of me. More so because my wife used to be a huge Bad Girls Club fan. Funny how all her bravado and attitude eases the fuck up from BGC, and now she’s crying victim in the Challenge house from a harmless pillow toss.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Finally got around to watching the episode:

Team Standings after Week Two:

Vil 170 3
    Byrd 155 4
    Xno Kappa 70 4
    Moss 60 4
    Valisk 40 4
    Headspace 35 3

Individual scores for the Week:  Only people to get more than Episode Survival Points:

Brad 15
    Kyle 15
    Angela 10

Individual scores for the Season - these are all the people who have gotten more than episode survival points:

Kailah 95
    Melissa 95
    Kyle 25
    Amanda 25
    Shane 25
    Brad 20
    Angela 20
    Zach 20
    Cara Maria 15
    Joss 15

GATTACA!

BG Level

Episode 2 notes:
    Da'Vonne calling out Britni's cheesy acting while talking to Chuck was spot on

"Mama didn't raise no pussy!" *cries and freaks out after being hit with a pillow*

What kind of dumbass set-up... if you're in the first heat you have to win just to make the second one??? Why not take the best performance from either heat?

BG Level

I don't think that's how it worked. Their better score counted, regardless if it was in the 1st or 2nd heat. They only let them go twice because they were down a team due to the girls getting kicked out. If anything, that was a rare good thing this show did, since in the past they might have just let that second heat have only 5 teams, which would be a big advantage. I think it just got a bit unclear because it ended up being a tie with a team in the 2nd heat. Did they even show how many Kyle and Brad got in the 2nd one anyway?

Maybe you're right though, but there are plenty more things to be annoyed with on this show than that. The usual way they do challenges like this would be to take the top finishing team(s) regardless of which heat they competed in anyway, so I figure they went with that here.

BG Level

Now I'm down to just 2 people in the main house and they're fighting with each other without even bothering to argue or anything. I'm living for Cara's condescending lessons in Challenge politics. After all, she's never been particularly great at that, and that's on full display this season. Who throws their partner under the bus and then basically laughs about it? It's a whole other story like CT sitting around joking with Bananas about his situation.

Did they overdo the handicap with those cords or what? As I've said after the premiere, I'm not watching this show expecting things to be perfectly fair, but my curiosity is if that's the sort of handicap they'll use when it's male vs. female in a physical thing, if they made it tougher for the team with a rookie, or if they just didn't really calibrate that right. Kam was able to casually stand pretty close to the cage while Paulie seemed to be killing himself to get near it. Considering there are MM, FF, and MF teams, I figured that a lot of things might be a crapshoot this season, so we'll see.

I'm liking this format for deciding who goes into elimination. I don't think it'll necessarily stop teams from throwing away their votes at times, but it's kind of risky there because they're revealing which teams got votes, and at least sometimes, people will know when you don't come through with your vote.

My DVR usually cuts off during the preview and I wasn't really paying attention, but it looks like something going on with Redemption next week? Or was it just the explanation of the rules for it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast