FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Daria and Jodie (MTV) - Reboot

Developed by Grace Edwards (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-44577709

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I don't expect this to be anything other than a raging trash-fire but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I remember watching the original on MTV when it was still Music Television and thought it was kinda funny. This isn't even gonna make it past the pilot.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The original Daria was hilarious. Well, YMMV depending on how old you were at the time but my whole family loved it. I guess a lot of that can be chalked up to how it reflected our actual family dynamic as I looked, acted and philosophized a lot like Daria and my younger sister was a good real-world representation of Quinn and my parents were similarly driven insane trying to be good parents and getting us to engage and behave XD

I really think that show was lightning in a bottle that could only have been captured during the time period it existed and any attempt to revive it is just going to be more cheap cash-in on nostalgia. The 90s was honestly a very unique decade TV-wise and I don't know what a show that attempts to be Daria can say currently about society and teenagers' roles in it that isn't going to be cringeworthy and revolve around digs on the prevalence of social media or essentially a rehash of the lessons we were supposed to learn from Jack Black's character in the new Jumanji movie. Not that there isn't anything to say, I just don't expect what appears on the surface to be a nostalgia cash-in to actually find anything important to say.

Plus, it sucks that a lot of the original music had to be removed from the DVD release because of copyright issues. I wonder if they will be going with 90s original music, cover music or current music for this one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I really think that show was lightning in a bottle that could only have been captured during the time period it existed and any attempt to revive it is just going to be more cheap cash-in on nostalgia. The 90s was honestly a very unique decade TV-wise and I don't know what a show that attempts to be Daria can say currently about society and teenagers' roles in it that isn't going to be cringeworthy and revolve around digs on the prevalence of social media or essentially a rehash of the lessons we were supposed to learn from Jack Black's character in the new Jumanji movie. Not that there isn't anything to say, I just don't expect what appears on the surface to be a nostalgia cash-in to actually find anything important to say.
    This almost exactly.

Daria captured the period perfectly. Like other attempts at various levels of reboot efforts for 90's television, it will miss the mark simply because its time has passed.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'd watch a "The Maxx" reboot. Was never too fond of MTV's animations, but Daria is probably my second favorite of the bunch.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Was Jodie a character in the original series? Was that the black friend?

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Was Jodie a character in the original series? Was that the black friend?
    Just took a look and yep.

Either way I can't expect this to end well. Hopefully it meets the same fate as the 2nd Celebrity Deathmatch reboot and dies before the pilot even happens.