1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Patch 4.35 Notes     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    watch it be an Eureka only thing since they already talked about the third installment having a new skill system that allows classes to use special skills beyond their roles for a short amount of time

dreams ruined, go home everyone
    That'd be incredibly stupid. Showing your community that you can implement a system that mimicks one of the most requested jobs and then not implementing it due to "reasons" is a huge mistake. We datamined hints for RDM and SAM around this time as well before SB hit so it's not too crazy to think BLU might be a thing in the upcoming Garlean expansion.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Gonna be so funny when everyone is queing up as BLU for dungeons/trials/raids and intentionally getting hit by mechanics in hopes of learning the moves. Poor healers.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

gonna be so funny when you guys are presented with a pathetic lifeless bastardization of the job that plays exactly like every other job in ffxiv with different animations

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Who hurt you?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think he's just keeping his expectations where they should be. Everything has to play parallel close enough to each other that it makes it easy to jump from one class to the other. Every class in the game has so many similarities that it's not difficult at all to go from one to the next. There isn't a whole lot that goes into learning a new job, you pick up a rotation, you practice it for an hour, boom you've mastered it, now you only make adjustments per fight or no adjusments and make the people around you adjust for you so you can keep doing what you need to do(BLM,MCH,SMN,SAM).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yes, the battle system is very sterile, partly due to the item / stats system and partly due to lack of skill customization options. I'd argue that another major part of sterilization is the lack of an elemental system (outside of Eureka) and lack of variety in buff/debuff options.

While jobs aren't exactly straight reskins of each other, there are few enough unique abilities in the game to assume that BLU will get more than a handful of things that are different from other jobs... is what I'd like to say, but I can think of, off the top of my head, so many things that AST alone can do that other jobs can't that I realize it's not a valid criticism. If we remove the means to the end and just look at the end result, though, then the criticism becomes more valid. The real point is that the devs need to keep each job viable for every piece of content, which means BLU (or any other job added) can't be such a gamechanger that it ends up standing far above all the others as the "best" job. It's true that the suitability of jobs for content fluctuates over patches, but none of them are so far behind other jobs as to be considered a job completely unable to clear any piece of content.

So what BLU will end up being, if actually added, is a job that isn't vital to clearing content, but might be fun for some people to play. That's really all anyone can expect from any job in this game. I can't imagine what anyone thinks a job in FFXIV should be able to do to differentiate itself so far from the status quo that it becomes something that works outside of the current battle system as we know it. The devs would basically have to change the way battles work entirely to make jobs themselves more interesting.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BLU being able to pick and choose abilities like in XI would be different enough, the ability to fit any role depending on your build would certainly shake things up without messing with the current balance (unless they go overboard). But then again the devs don't want that for XIV so that's out of the window (the cross role slot expansion is proof enough I'd say).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    BLU being able to pick and choose abilities like in XI would be different enough, the ability to fit any role depending on your build would certainly shake things up without messing with the current balance (unless they go overboard). But then again the devs don't want that for XIV so that's out of the window (the cross role slot expansion is proof enough I'd say).
    I think it would be neat if BLU worked on a system where it has three different spell types—tanking, dps, cure. You can mix and match what spells you want to use, but your party role was determined by which majority type you equipped. All the spells would have a base potency, but equipping a spell that was not tied to your current role would lower it’s potency. For example, you could be a tank or dps with a healing spell but it wouldn’t be nearly as effective as when you are flagged as a healer.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I think it would be neat if BLU worked on a system where it has three different spell types—tanking, dps, cure. You can mix and match what spells you want to use, but your party role was determined by which majority type you equipped. All the spells would have a base potency, but equipping a spell that was not tied to your current role would lower it’s potency. For example, you could be a tank or dps with a healing spell but it wouldn’t be nearly as effective as when you are flagged as a healer.
    That looks like work:

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Lol that would cause an entire upend to the systems FFXIV is based around and would lead to a spec-like system of WoW that the game hasn't really tried since SCH/SMN (And obvious gave the fuck up on)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    I agree but I think the main issue is the Duty Finder. They'd need to make sure that BLU could always perform well enough with any role and have the basic spells activated. Another way would be to have some skills set by default and make those change usage depending on the role you're on (say you have a skill that is a Cure when on Healer, Provoke as a tank and buff as a DPS) and allow some freedom on the rest. Combos could come in a "bundle" so you'd always be forced to equip the full thing. Another issue is that Blue Mages would then expect to get more options with patches (like in FFXI) and that's not happening here otherwise other jobs will start demanding new toys.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

ITT having hopes from a team that implements scuffed QOL features that have been absent from release but are standard features in even F2P MMO

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Multijob queue for lv70 roulette shit would be fucking nice.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well BLU would certainly see all those new mobs from Stormblood's overworld some use. Or even HW for that matter.. Lots of mobs we probably never even seen because there's no reason to fight them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    Well BLU would certainly see all those new mobs from Stormblood's overworld some use. Or even HW for that matter.. Lots of mobs we probably never even seen because there's no reason to fight them.
    lol naw. More than likely what we're going to see if a questline that has us hunting a big monster for our level70 and then another set for our level80 ability.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    I can't wait to learn 50 variants of conal AoE that does damage, to ranged circular AoE that does damage. They'll just earn a skill from job quests that have you target a select mob as part of it.