+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Cole Young sucked, but at least we got a pretty cool Scoprion v. Sub Zero fight...

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Sonya was the absolute cheesiest, just awful, awful dialogue. Kano obviously the best.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sonya would fit so well in the original movie, maybe even moreso than original Sonya. I reallllyy liked Kano, hope he comes back with his metal face in the next one. I also hope they kill off Cole to replace with Johnny in the opening just like how Johnny died in the opening to annihilation.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Have any of the "worse than MK:A" people actually gone back and watched MK:A?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The only good part of Annihilation was the mud wrestling scene

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Mortal Kombat (April 16, 2021) - Cole Turner Reboot

Wifey and I fell asleep 20-30 minutes after the bad ass opening scene. I don’t know who the fuck Cole Young is or why I should care who he is.

We’re gonna give it another shot tonight lol.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Jessica McNamee was also a huge downgrade from Bridgette Wilson.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Kind of a disingenuous stat because GvK came out on the Weds and MK came out on Friday. So MK still had a better weekend but the 3 day to 5 day stat is probably not as meaningful as they are trying to make it seem.

To add to that. I imagine GvK had bigger appeal at the theaters than MK did.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

GvK did $16 mil opening weekend opening against basically nothing and MK did $22 mil against Demon Slayer which pulled in $19 mil (!).

MK did open in more theaters compared to GvK but if someone wanted to break down the math between the two in relation to the world opening up more in the last month I'd imagine the numbers are relatively even in regards to in-theater earnings.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Where are you getting 16 mil??

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...bo_rl_tab#tabs

That says the first weekend was 31m and then 34m for second weekend.

Edit: Ah I got it. The 16m is the Weds/Thurs figure from when it came out, and is not included in the 31m for the actual first weekend. By the weekend it opened in the same number of theaters as MK.

BG Level

Just finished it with the wifey. We enjoyed it. Went into it expecting cheesy ass dialogue and was thoroughly entertained. Kano especially.

Still, like somebody said earlier the entire second act of the movie felt like filler to finally get to Scorpion vs Sub-Zero. Bad ass fight at least.

Also...

Spoiler: show
    I like how it’s 2021 and Sonya Blades “research” is all sticky notes and newspaper clippings lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I think the only thing I keep getting hung up on is Jax’s arcana. Like was he going to be a colossus type if he never got the frosty arms? I need answers

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Cole Young with the literal plot armor.

I didn't hate this. I didn't love it either. It was just mindless and at points entertaining to watch. I loved the original MK movie back in the day (and still now), but I think people wear their nostalgia glasses a little too tight when it comes to that movie. In this reboot some things in this were very out of place and it seems like there were some cuts to the movie, mostly towards the tail end when shit was just happening really fact and people were jumping around all over, but I'd put them at around the same level just for different reasons. Kano was great. The actor who played Liu Kang... holy shit I wish he got to do more. Talk about the LK look. Fatalities and gore were over the top cheesy.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yeah Liu Kang was pretty good. I was doubting why they chose him until he took his shirt off lol . But seemed like a decent setup movie if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Its was good like most people Cole young sucked

I was deceived about the scorpion vs Sub zero I mean the fight was good, but it kinda felt like the threw scorpion in because " Oh shit we forgot about him" when Sub. + scrop are main faces on the poster

BG Level

Mortal Kombat (April 16, 2021) - Cole Turner Reboot

Movie would’ve been better had it solely been about them. Explain their relationship to one another, explain why the Lin Kuei was after the Shirai Ryu, etc.

People familiar with the MK lore can deduce these things but not your average movie goer. Wifey had zero clue about them.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Movie would’ve been better had it solely been about them. Explain their relationship to one another, explain why the Lin Kuei was after the Shirai Ryu, etc.

People familiar with the MK lore can deduce these things but not your average movie goer. Wifey had zero clue about them.
    I'm all for a separate stand alone prequel that basically ends at the raid on Scorpions home.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by chazzyphizzle View Post
    the guy playing sub zero was in the raid and the night comes for us. his action chops are top notch, just let the man loose
    oh god thank you! i didn't google/wiki yet but was reading through this thread and it was really bothering me throughout the film why he looked so familiar! i loved his fight scene in the raid when he went 1v1 as it didn't drag on for overly long like the final fight

oh well, i'm satisfied now. fun film!

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by mahler05 View Post
    Yeah Liu Kang was pretty good. I was doubting why they chose him until he took his shirt off lol . But seemed like a decent setup movie if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even with his shirt on, you could tell from his arms that he was ridiculously ripped. Like doing the Henry Cavill dehydration to make your musculature stand out.

He's also the Black Ranger from the Power Rangers reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post

It really feels like the screen writer wanted to do a MK Anthology: Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero but they told him no. So then he just made Lewis Tan as an elaborate way to bring in Scorpion. The result was that the movie felt like it was Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero from the Machinima Legacy web series with a tournament side story stuck in the middle.

I knew Scorpion's return was coming, it was just a question of how. The fact we kept getting references to Cole's uppercut and him having visions made me think that the kunai spear was going to be his arcana and he would take up the mantle.