1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 53 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 6 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 53 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch 4.4 Live Letter(s)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Spoiler: show
    Also..even though we already knew this, Tenzen is literally Tenzen from XI...and suzaku's story is virtually Garuda's lore from XI too.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

when does this patch actually hit?

edit: ok i'm a dumbass it's out already.

carry on.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Feel like I know the true name of the next expansion from this MSQ.

Final Fantasy XIV:
    The Taken King

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Those fights are goddamn intense. Alphascape is a lot of fun.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

All I see is Sephirot 2, Nidhogg 2, and then 2 unique fights.

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    There's also new activity in the job files, seems like they're preparing for a new job release. The new job has been added to the caster pool of gear so... yeah. BLU is coming!
    What does 'new activity' mean?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    I make no claim of wtf this is.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Logos stuff and winter event. And new activity is because they updated the job files, so caster gear has a new slot on it for (insert new job).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    It means they're messing with the files. Like I said they've added a new job (currently unnamed in the files) to the pool of jobs that can wear caster gear. And there's a bunch of weird UI potentially relating to BLU (the DNC stuff is actually from a minigame we're getting on Christmas).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

We just got a caster though in SB. The leak said BLU would be a support melee...so that to me screams Scouting gear. Melee DPS gear has higher VIT/Defense than caster because melees are up close and have more mechanics to deal with and usually are the most mobile. I sort of imagined BLU to be more like NIN and their blue magic would be based off DEX and not cost MP, like Ninjutsu, but use some other resource. Scouting gear makes sense since it's for stealthy/shrouded Ninjas. In FFXI Blue Mages were also stealthy and mysterious, always teleporting by literally blurring in and out of space. All their artifact sets have shrouds over their faces too, so it would fit well with Scouting. Also, we have 3 jobs on Casting, need more jobs on Maiming/Scouting, and NIN is currently the only DEX melee job...

That blueish vial gauge UI kind of looks like it might be Ceruleum...which might be a power source for BLU considering Ceruleum is an artificial form of aether and a play on Cerulean -- a shade of blue. I could see FFXIV BLU being Garleans, artificially imbued/showered with ceruleum, to infuse them with magic (since they possess the inability to use aether naturally)...like Magitek Knights from FF6 and SOLDIER from FF7. This would be kind of like how the Garleans are trying to simulate the echo using the Resonant. In the same way, they replicate Magic through Blue Magic via Ceruleum infusions. I can see us blowing up Ceruleum factories more in 5.0 if we go to Garlemald. Hell, they can have a throwback dungeon (Sector 1: Cereuleum Reactor) where we literally plant a bomb on a ceruleum reactor because ceruleum is processed aether from the Lifestream and draining the planet (read: Mako)!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They can do a meele mage and just find a way to make up for the paper armor.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

We also got a melee in SB and Blue Mage is.. well... a mage lol. Also FFXI is not the only game in existance, Blue Mages have a far longer history and none other was ever associated with being stealthy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It would feel silly to have 4 casters and 2 physical ranged tho.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Does it really matter? You're never gonna see more than 1 caster on any composition (unless they heavily change our meta) other than random DF in Alliance Raids.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

It just seems like the archetype we are lacking is another DEX melee. We have MNK DRG SAM as STR melees. We have 3 casters. We have 2 ranged so that's up for grabs too. NIN and DRG have unique armor...so a midweight melee to share maiming and a light weight hybrid (melee with some magic element like NIN) makes the most sense as next jobs in terms of balancing the roster out. Just would make sense because we just got a caster with melee abilities. Doing the inverse (melee with a few spells) would be cool. They can have raid buffs/mob debuffs like NIN to fill the role of support DPS (opposite of SAM/MNK).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

We have 3 healers (MND), 3 physical DPS on STR, 3 DPS on DEX, 3 on INT and 3 tanks. We're already even as is.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

-Healer-
    Healing=3 (MND) (these will likely never be split into subgroups)

-Tank-
    Fending=3 (STR) (these will likely never be split into subgroups)

-Melee-
    Maiming (STR) =1
    Striking (STR) =2
    Scouting (DEX) =1

-Ranged-
    Casting (INT) = 3
    Aiming (DEX) = 2

I know we have 3 DEX jobs (1 melee and 2 casters) but if the reports say it will be a support melee job, stands to reason it would be scouting. What makes casters have lower VIT on gear is the fact that they aren't exposed to as many mechanics (generally) as melee, and they also don't have positionals. Melee tend to have positionals and can cast "spells" while moving (Ninjutsu). PLD is an exception as a tank but Clemency and Holy Spirit aren't absolutely necessary elements of their role (tanking) like defense cooldowns are. If a melee job also has to cast spells and is in casting gear it just seems awkward as hell to me. Why not just make their spells based on DEX and give them Scouting gear? Right? They name dropped Dalmasca in 4.4, it's probable that we're going there and there will be some Turkish/Ottoman-influenced areas, which is perfect for Blue Mage.

I know they modified casting gear, but it's too early to be modifying gear yet, especially if the expansion isn't to come out till June/July.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    We just got a caster though in SB. The leak said BLU would be a support melee...so that to me screams Scouting gear. Melee DPS gear has higher VIT/Defense than caster because melees are up close and have more mechanics to deal with and usually are the most mobile. I sort of imagined BLU to be more like NIN and their blue magic would be based off DEX and not cost MP, like Ninjutsu, but use some other resource. Scouting gear makes sense since it's for stealthy/shrouded Ninjas. In FFXI Blue Mages were also stealthy and mysterious, always teleporting by literally blurring in and out of space. All their artifact sets have shrouds over their faces too, so it would fit well with Scouting. Also, we have 3 jobs on Casting, need more jobs on Maiming/Scouting, and NIN is currently the only DEX melee job...

That blueish vial gauge UI kind of looks like it might be Ceruleum...which might be a power source for BLU considering Ceruleum is an artificial form of aether and a play on Cerulean -- a shade of blue. I could see FFXIV BLU being Garleans, artificially imbued/showered with ceruleum, to infuse them with magic (since they possess the inability to use aether naturally)...like Magitek Knights from FF6 and SOLDIER from FF7. This would be kind of like how the Garleans are trying to simulate the echo using the Resonant. In the same way, they replicate Magic through Blue Magic via Ceruleum infusions. I can see us blowing up Ceruleum factories more in 5.0 if we go to Garlemald. Hell, they can have a throwback dungeon (Sector 1: Cereuleum Reactor) where we literally plant a bomb on a ceruleum reactor because ceruleum is processed aether from the Lifestream and draining the planet (read: Mako)!
    This is really smart actually and would line up quite nicely with the idea that Alphinaud is going to be forced to learn a new skillset while he's in Garlemald and be the BLU to his sister's RDM to make violet.

It can be a "mage" still if it uses artificial aether. Actually, BLU's specific mechanics are always slightly different through each iteration of the FF franchise so I'm sure they have to make a design decision on which game to base it on and XI is the obvious one. So if that happens, I don't know why everyone is so dead set on them not using scouting gear, NIN is literally the only job on it which prob seems like a waste to the devs and I'm sure if they decide to go the Thavnair-flavored route for BLU they will be on scouting. It's a perfect opportunity to stick a new job on that gearset.

But then you must wonder where Gunblade and Dancer are gonna go.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The leaks said Gunblade job would be a tank. That makes sense considering gunblade wielders of Garlemald are dressed in heavy ass armor.

Dancers would likely be a healer, so robes and MND for uniformity. Unless....they put THEM on Scouting, and make them a healer that uses DEX instead of MND and TP instead of MP.

Gunblade tank using a job stone would be awkward since magitek has only been around for 60 years, so there's no memories of ancient gunbladers passing their skills on to you like with other jobs and their soul crystals. Also most gunbladers would be garleans who cant even use aether anyway.

I can also see Blue Mage using an artificial soul crystal to be like the opposite of a normal soul crystal. It would absorb memories of your foes to impart knowledge of their magic onto you, rather than being bestowed gifts of new spells/skills by previous owners of your crystal, who whisper them to you via the echo after proving yourself worthy through trials and tribulations(EXP), which is how we typically learn spells and skills 30-60.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think MCH has a different type of soul crystal already iirc. That may not be a big issue for a Gunblade job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast