+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

Bought the 23 & Me thing for 50% off. Gonna find out what my other half is. My guess is some other super white European ethnicity! Also going to find out what chances I have of getting some super disabling genetic diseases that'll plague my thoughts in the years to come!

Amazon sure jacked up the price of it though before knocking it down, trying to say its $300 knocked down to 100 but the 23&me website sells it for 200 normally.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The Instant Pot 6QT deal is back and working this time -- $40 off which makes it cheaper than what Amazon sells the 3QT version for.

I don't have one but I've heard enough good stuff about it that it's worth trying. Worst case scenario it's still a rice cooker...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Why is no one complaining the price of prime increased 20%?

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    The Instant Pot 6QT deal is back and working this time -- $40 off which makes it cheaper than what Amazon sells the 3QT version for.

I don't have one but I've heard enough good stuff about it that it's worth trying. Worst case scenario it's still a rice cooker...
    Slow cooker too if you don't already have one. Which, as long as you have a recipe for and prepare to set up before you leave for work, is one of the most convenient things.

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    Why is no one complaining the price of prime increased 20%?
    Because it only goes one direction? It will go up again in the future.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Slow cooker too if you don't already have one. Which, as long as you have a recipe for and prepare to set up before you leave for work, is one of the most convenient things.
    I have a rice cooker, steamer, and slow cooker combo already but I only have old school pressure cooker with the clamp on lid. Paying mostly for the electric pressure cooker.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I have a rice cooker, steamer, and slow cooker combo already but I only have old school pressure cooker with the clamp on lid. Paying mostly for the electric pressure cooker.
    The old school one is faster because it takes 10-20 minutes for the electric one just to come to pressure. There is an element of convenience to this though. Opens up slow cooking two different things at once too if you already have one I guess.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's really just about the convenience. I do have a plain slow cooker too as well but never touched it after I got my rice cooker with the slow cook function.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Not from Amazon but I guess in response to Prime Day, Microsoft.com was having a sale. Pulled the trigger on a Matebook X Pro for $1079, I’m pretty stoked cause my PC is near death and I’ve wanted a good laptop for a while.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I picked up the instapot. I've been using a very old crock pot my mom picked up at a thrift store. Time for an upgrade.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Going to see if I can recycle the Amex discount by removing my points and card after the current orders ship out then trying the renrollment link.

Cat is on urinary prescription food which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact he also has no teeth at the age of 5. This means the food is slightly too big for him as he can't chew it down, and will cause vomiting if I don't give it in smaller amounts which leaves him hungry until I get home from work. So this auto feeder is on sale for Prime Day and can serve food out in 1/8th cups which should work just fine.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Not from Amazon but I guess in response to Prime Day, Microsoft.com was having a sale. Pulled the trigger on a Matebook X Pro for $1079, I’m pretty stoked cause my PC is near death and I’ve wanted a good laptop for a while.
    knowing nothing about laptops, will this be able to meet my gaming needs which is just overwatch and Civ 5?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Yessir.

Nothing special for two-way audio. The plan for now is to have the baby up on blast through the living room big screen, or the iPad if we want to watch something. If needed two way audio through the phone app.
    shit apparently the cloud cam actually does have two-way audio, they just don't make it very apparent at first glance. I'm prob gonna do the same, or the wyzecam. NURSERY BOYS UNITE

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    knowing nothing about laptops, will this be able to meet my gaming needs which is just overwatch and Civ 5?
    You’ll be fine, fam. All the reviews I’ve read are gushing and the only negative is the built in web-cam, which is hidden under the keyboard, and only pops out when you press a button. Reviewers say it captures you from that weird under the chin angle. But that’s a non-factor for me anyway.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Astylla got one for her birthday. Typically her Mississippi pot roast takes 8 hours in the slow cooker. Pressure cooker portion of the Instant pot did it in 45 minutes.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

You can do all sorts of shit in the instant pot, it's fantastic. I've never made rice in it (have a fancy rice cooker for that) but I often pressure cook stews, roasts, sauced up meat dishes, etc. You can do hard boiled eggs - as many as you can stack on the trivet - by pressure cooking on low for 5mins, or sweet potatoes on high for 20mins. You can use it to steam properly if you want too. I have the Ultra which has a few extra functions that I've never used but apparently I can make steamed cakes, yogurt, porridge and a bunch of other things if I ever want :D Best of all, it's completely safe (foolproof, really) and you don't have to ever worry about it exploding.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Ok BG what is the best laptop deal you have seen? My dad just asked me to find him a laptop. He needs something easy to use and he mostly just does word processing and browsing the internet. Really minimal user. Windows or OS X is fine $500-$700 budget.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Ok BG what is the best laptop deal you have seen? My dad just asked me to find him a laptop. He needs something easy to use and he mostly just does word processing and browsing the internet. Really minimal user. Windows or OS X is fine $500-$700 budget.
    - Does he even need more than a Chromebook?
    - Is a tablet form factor out of the question? They can be tedious if you type a lot but they're awful convenient to pick up/use instantly/put down.
    - If it has to be a laptop how big a screen do you require, and what's the max resolution your dad will use? Some people can't deal with even 1920x1080 let alone higher res (vision), 1920x1080 looks "smaller" on a 13" screen than a 17", etc.
    - Does it have to be an ultra portable, super light weight laptop? You pay more for smaller and lighter, but for some people it's a huge plus.

The last two kinda drive you in to different price points, and they're the big drivers of how much you enjoy using said laptop (imo). Lighter weight means more cost, as do bigger/higher res screens, but you want it to be the right fit. Talk to your dad, go poke at a few laptops just to make sure he's good with a particular screen size and resolution, move forward from there and you'll get a good fit. You don't want to find a great deal on something then find out he can't stand the screen at native resolution, or that it's just too damn heavy.

Personally for just browsing the internet and light word processing I'm more in to a tablet or chromebook. Those may not have a big enough screen for his liking though (one potential downside).

TL;DR - What's important to your dad so we can recommend something right for him and not just cheap?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    - Does he even need more than a Chromebook?
    - Is a tablet form factor out of the question? They can be tedious if you type a lot but they're awful convenient to pick up/use instantly/put down.
    - If it has to be a laptop how big a screen do you require, and what's the max resolution your dad will use? Some people can't deal with even 1920x1080 let alone higher res (vision), 1920x1080 looks "smaller" on a 13" screen than a 17", etc.
    - Does it have to be an ultra portable, super light weight laptop? You pay more for smaller and lighter, but for some people it's a huge plus.

The last two kinda drive you in to different price points, and they're the big drivers of how much you enjoy using said laptop (imo). Lighter weight means more cost, as do bigger/higher res screens, but you want it to be the right fit. Talk to your dad, go poke at a few laptops just to make sure he's good with a particular screen size and resolution, move forward from there and you'll get a good fit. You don't want to find a great deal on something then find out he can't stand the screen at native resolution, or that it's just too damn heavy.

Personally for just browsing the internet and light word processing I'm more in to a tablet or chromebook. Those may not have a big enough screen for his liking though (one potential downside).

TL;DR - What's important to your dad so we can recommend something right for him and not just cheap?
    He needs a regular laptop with a full keyboard. He had a tablet and didn't like typing on it. He isn't a power user so a chromebook might be a good option for him. I don't think there is a particular screen size or resolution that will or won't work for him. He had an ipad and just wanted to change it to a laptop so he could type easier. He is a writer and he is writing a book so ease of file management is important too. Managing files in ios was a pain.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

If he's a writer and writing a book then yeah, real laptop with a bigger screen and a good keyboard. I'll keep an eye out for deals and post what I find.

I love Lenovo's keyboards myself if you wanna watch for deals.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao View Post
    If he's a writer and writing a book then yeah, real laptop with a bigger screen and a good keyboard. I'll keep an eye out for deals and post what I find.

I love Lenovo's keyboards myself if you wanna watch for deals.
    Perfect thanks. I will take a look at the Lenovo laptops.