Closed Thread
Page 121 of 203 FirstFirst ... 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

And she just spotted the camera. Now I wonder what's going to happen.

Oh, she also went to feed her that same bottle again an hour and a half after taking it out.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

No kids here, but what's the rule of thumb on milk? If the child is having issues eating, is it not ok to keep trying with the same bottle after an hour?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

That's where my wife and I aren't sure exactly. Generally, if she doesn't take the bottle we'll put it back in the refrigerator within 20 minutes and only reheat it once more. The 20 minute rule is something the daycares we looked at use as part of their policy with breastmilk.

We're really more concerned about the screen time because when we get home, and we either have the TV on or something playing on our phones, she's craning her neck trying to watch when we've always faced her away from the screen. We're also worried about her being in her bouncy seat more than we want, which also seems to be happening.

Wife and I aren't sure what to do with this. My suggestion was to ask her not to show her screens again. If she continues, she gone. The milk we can ask her to put it back if she's not taking it rather than leaving it out.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

With milk you heat it and try to feed it to them immediately. If they don't eat it you put it in the fridge immediately. It CANNOT sit out. You only get to reheat it once too then it is garbage. Don't fuck around with milk it goes bad really fast when it is warm. Honestly for the rest I would lighten up a lot. It isn't the end of the world. Your kid will be fine with a little screen time and the bouncy set. I agree with you to limit it and I agree with you that it isn't good the nanny isn't following your instructions but that isn't a health or safety hazard so I would be much more concerned about the milk.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

The milk thing I looked up and there are so many different opinions. I get results that say it's good for 4 hours, I get results that say immediate, I get results that say 2 hours. I honestly don't know wtf with that. My instinct is the same as yours. Especially since yesterday the second shift said our daughter was spitting up a lot. This seems to be an indication of why.

This woman came recommended, though, so idk. Honestly, I've let my wife deal with the anny stuff because she's been very particular about everything.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Also, the screen time thing. If she sees the TV she just stops and stares like most little kids. If we turn her or turn it off she screams. That's a fucking problem.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Is it breastmilk? Cause that'll spoil faster and with a young child I wouldnt trust it after a couple hours. It wouldnt be life threatening, but bacteria and shit is definitely grow in it faster than pasteurized milk. An hour only though? I wouldnt freak out yet.

As for screen time, yeah all I ever heard is how we need to limit kids screen time lol. I dont think it's fair to have a screen on for yourself while you play keep away with the child though. That's rough for them and lazy for you, if its screen time then its screen time otherwise turn it off and focus on the task at hand. I feel like it's more distracting having to constantly refocus the child on the food or item in hand than to just not stream Netflix for 30min while you eat lol.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

It doesn't have to be anything moving. If I have a recipe up on my phone, or Spotify or something, she'll stare at it just because it's a light source.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ahh that makes sense.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Also, the screen time thing. If she sees the TV she just stops and stares like most little kids. If we turn her or turn it off she screams. That's a fucking problem.
    Yeah but it isn't the end of the world. That is a normal thing to deal with. My kids had screen time and they screamed when it went away. You know what though? My two year old screams when I take away his stick when he pokes his older brother with it. Screaming is how kids communicate their emotion before they are old enough to use the other methods. Like I said previously, the milk is a health and safety hazard, the issue of screen time can wait. I think the screen time issue is bigger not about the screen time but more generally that the nanny isn't following your wishes and taking care of your kid the way you want her too. Who knows what other stuff she is doing that you don't know about. That would be very alarming to me.

Edit: We are talking about it and that is fine but at the end of the day it is up to you and your wife. Don't let strangers or even family dictate anything to you about how you take care of your kids (besides health and safety hazards). I am not trying to be overbearing just sharing my experiences since I have two kids and one on the way so I have seen quite a variety of situations like the whole screen time issue and the milk issue. Oh and we experienced a day care center that wasn't taking care of our son as well as they should have too. (he got one of his front teeth kicked out by a girl on a swing when he was 2 because the daycare workers mixed the tiny kids with the bigger 5/6 yo kids when they weren't supposed to mix)

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I didn't feel you were pressuring me into anything dude. Don;t worry about it. I posted about it because I was looking for other people's take on it.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I didn't feel you were pressuring me into anything dude. Don;t worry about it. I posted about it because I was looking for other people's take on it.
    Glad to hear it. I am cautious about it because I have been on the other side of really overbearing parental advice and I don't want to fall into that trap. I wish you the best of luck with your nanny. Hopefully it can be resolved without too much issue or you can find a new suitable nanny.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

apparently the WHO-advised amount of screen time for the first year is zero, and less than an hour before age 5, so I think your intentions are fairly spot on Toki, even if it's not so feasible these days
    new WHO guidelines discussed

it's a bummer to hear about the nanny fucking that up; i know we'd be mildly livid if the same thing happened

Edit: changed the article link to an LA Times article. the first article was actually pretty shitty

the primary thrust is avoiding too much sedentary behavior; plenty of people are critical of WHO's new time limits, but generally less screen time will help lead to more physical activity

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I'm absolutely fucking convinced my car is cursed. Within a few months of getting it last year in got side swiped, still have the paint marks left because it's just cosmetic. Since then have had the following happen :

Got tapped/rear ended while waiting to go into fairgrounds , nearly side swiped 3-4 times and today had a car come within centimeters of reversing into my passenger side while leaving a drive thru for a doordash order.

I've had one incident that was my fault, barely tapped a new fucking Tesla at less than 5mph so they had to pop off the entire damn bumper off to repair literally a screw indentation..which was $87 over the threshold so had for report it to the dmv somy rates will go up. And California is stupid to begin with so since I didn't drive here for years they consider me a new driver even though I've been driving and licensed since 1996. Blargh.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Some context, the job we're working on is a month ahead of schedule and for once morale in the workforce is actually up. We've been working through lunch break and leaving early to compensate. This has been going on for a few weeks.

PM shows up at the end of the day yesterday and sees us leaving early. Freaks the fuck out about how we're fucking the boss out of money. Doesn't consider the state of the job or morale.

So today morale is in the toilet and we're taking lunch and people are all diagruntled. Work is now going at a snails pace. Oh well.

It always surprises me how many people think this way. You are leaving early, or teleworking, etc you must not be doing as much work as XYZ. The reason so many people fuck around while working is because they are expected to be there no matter what. You know how many jobs can be done in a 1/3 of the time, if people were rewarded for the work progress instead of how long it takes?

I have friends that tell me i'm lucky to have so much down time, etc. No I just do shit right the 1st time and don't fuck around when it is time to work.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    It always surprises me how many people think this way. You are leaving early, or teleworking, etc you must not be doing as much work as XYZ. The reason so many people fuck around while working is because they are expected to be there no matter what. You know how many jobs can be done in a 1/3 of the time, if people were rewarded for the work progress instead of how long it takes?

I have friends that tell me i'm lucky to have so much down time, etc. No I just do shit right the 1st time and don't fuck around when it is time to work.
    It's a really backwards, old-fashioned way of thinking and it's still so common

Apparently in some Nordic countries and others with more progressive work attitudes, if you're staying late, people think you're either lazy or incompetent for not getting your work done during normal hours. The irony is my boss stays late and it's because she is both of those things...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Got KFC for lunch and asked for mashed potatoes & gravy like any sane person would do. Instead they gave me two sides of cole slaw. I’ve never felt more betrayed in my life.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Went to the doctor yesterday for my shoulder. Good news is he doesn't think there's any tear. Bad news is he think's it's a shoulder impingement, so no upper body workouts for the next few weeks so it can hopefully calm down on it's own.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Got KFC for lunch and asked for mashed potatoes & gravy like any sane person would do. Instead they gave me two sides of cole slaw. I’ve never felt more betrayed in my life.
    KFC used to have some pretty amazing coleslaw back in the day but now this just makes me sad. Also it's gotten so awful I can't even bring myself to go there anymore.