Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wine! The Juice is Loose     submit to reddit submit to twitter

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Psion View Post
    i still hate wine and any form of alcohol, but i think it's because alcohol itself tastes incredibly bitter to me. like... black tea that has been steeping for 2 days. never enjoyed the fiery feel of it either as it goes down. at first i had thought it was the wine i tried itself, but after several brands and varieties, from merlot to pinot noir to a supersweet wine (HA!), i started to catch on that they all had one thing in common.

i do like using it for beef stew though. i see it in the same light as soy sauce - great for flavoring but you wouldn't want to drink it by itself.

i didn't even realize ethanol had a taste before i looked it up - apparently it does for some people. i guess my combination of genetics plus being a supertaster means i'm never going to experience what it's like to get flat out drunk.

which reminds me - what type of wine is the best for making beef stew anyways?
    Did you just compare soysauce to wine...?

Also, there are many wines you can use for beef stew, but I'd probably grab a Gammay for a nice stew or a cheaper Syrah or Sangiovese for an average one. It's just personal taste, try and decide.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

2015 Koenig Alsatian Gewurtztraminer.

"Exuberant" fruit is spot on.

I have had both the 2015 and now 2016 of this, and they are quite different. The 2016 is much less dry and less intense/exuberant as a result. Personally enjoyed the 2016 more, but that was my taste. Friend enjoyed the sharpness of the 2015 more.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Dr. Konstantin Frank Semi-Dry 2016

As a semi-dry at 11.5%, I have had much drier at nearly the same abv. Not to say that is a bad thing as this was great, but it was more a tad more semi-sweet to me than full on semi-dry.
    Chateau Ste Michelle or Pacific Rim J Rieslings feels slightly more dry by comparison and Kungfu Girl would feel much drier (just picking random ones that come to mind). Interested in trying the Konstantin Dry as the Finger Lakes are great.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Chateau Ste Michelle Gewurztraminer 2016

I enjoyed this, as a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect it to be off dry given the varietal. Which is was a better result for sure, though.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've graduated to pretty much solely ordering wines from the Skurnik portfolio. Just about anything picked at random is a winner.
    Might as well close your eyes and put your finger down on any name in the list.

It would take me several posts of hitting the image limit to even show the wines since the last post a year ago, but I figured I'd bump this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I love wine, but I also love bourbon and scotch and mezcal and I don't think any one overshadows the other. The experience can be just as rewarding, regardless of the chosen alcohol - it's all how you approach it. I enjoy trying to break down what I'm tasting and what I enjoy about it, but that can be done with any beverage (even tea and coffee).

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Bump.

Does no one drink wine? I mean we have had a few lockdowns in the interim, and I would expect someone drank something.

For example, today I picked up a Riesling from Alba (2018 vintage), a vineyard in North Jersey. I have had plenty of the varietal, and have closets full of more yet still to have, but I have not had one like this. Nor have I had a Riesling from dirty Jersey. I can't decide how I feel about it as it comes off as rough as the damn state is, but it certainly is different. Whether that is different in a charming rustic manner or callow in the same token is probably up to the person tasting it.
    I have also had half a dozen other bottlings from this vineyard so this also isn't my first go at them. I'd argue that they are one of, if not the very best vineyard in Jersey. That isn't sayin much though unless growing good Chambourcin is the high-water mark.

I will say that I look at it with as much pride as I do in my state, and also equally with as much disgust as I do in my state. So in that regard it captured the essence perfectly, but yeah, 6/10.