+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Front page is still linking to July Update stuff.

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Front page is still linking to July Update stuff.
    Not for me.

Clear your cache.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    Not for me.

Clear your cache.
    It was at the timestamp of the posting. Funk got it working before the new item list was not-red. XD

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Updated this month's ambuscade info a bit.

Also updated the template to improve and standardize things more.

Dat feel when the new update only pulls 5 posts and zero discussion on bg

The shield info for ambuscade still isn't accurate. I don't know what the deal is with the thing but it's not simply 1200 phalanx. and it's not always bypassed by ranged attacks. Shot it hundreds of times and still did zero damage while said shots were easily over 1200 damage.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

The party moved from bg to ffxiah it feels.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Not much of a surprise when the mods/owners of this site bashed FFXI constantly when XIV was popular.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Never thought I would see the day where bg isnt the place to go for ff-mmo content. Other places are better for 14 discussion than here as well.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Not much of a surprise when the mods/owners of this site bashed FFXI constantly when XIV was popular.
    Obviously this has little to do with it. Why bother saying something so petty?

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Never thought I would see the day where bg isnt the place to go for ff-mmo content. Other places are better for 14 discussion than here as well.
    BG Wiki is still the place for FFXI content, and will remain so indefinitely.

Personally, there is no game I loathe more than FFXIV.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    I won't attempt do deny that what you described really happened, imho it so did.
    At the same time though I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that has anything to do with the fact not many people commented the update patch on BG lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    I won't attempt do deny that what you described really happened, imho it so did.
    At the same time though I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that has anything to do with the fact not many people commented the update patch on BG lol.
    I did notice this as well. I'm almost done with 2009 history, and to gather information I sorted this forum section by date and have been working backwards. Out of 486 pages of threads, I'm on page 53 right now and I'm in November 2009. That's about 50 pages left to cover from 2010-now. I'm starting to do the same thing for ffxiah as I'm running out of threads here now. Feelsbadman

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Funkworkz View Post
    I did notice this as well. I'm almost done with 2009 history, and to gather information I sorted this forum section by date and have been working backwards. Out of 486 pages of threads, I'm on page 53 right now and I'm in November 2009. That's about 50 pages left to cover from 2010-now. I'm starting to do the same thing for ffxiah as I'm running out of threads here now. Feelsbadman
    AH was just a better website for the user's needs, largely because of the AH search function as well as some other perks like equip sets and bullshit rankings. So as such the forum usage followed, and continues to this day.

There isn't anything more I can really think of to lure users in here aside from the job guide/wiki threads and the gold world pass thread. Users never wanted to really use BG Forums before, but did because AH.com wasn't a thing so much. I mean at least we aren't Zam or KI. Both of which might as well not exist. So outside of AH.com and lolReddit, we are it.
    BG would require some functionality or use that was appealing and/or unique, and that won't happen.

Overall, as a user of the past I would read the forums here for all the update information or smart stuff/testing or random questions thread. That content isn't being put out here anymore, and unless users decide to discuss the update here or you find a way to stop making your update threads there, we won't have much going on here. I mean there is still one chip in your pocket, and that is the update thread, but even you post over there for that.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    BG Wiki is still the place for FFXI content, and will remain so indefinitely.
    If not for its resources only sure. Open forum discussion wise.. ??? I'm not seeing it.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    If not for its resources only sure. Open forum discussion wise.. ??? I'm not seeing it.
    BG Forum =/= BG Wiki outside of the fact the accounts are linked.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Personal opinion and I know others have a similar opinion to mine, but BG was never really seen as a place to come for actual discussions, more just to lurk for info when there was some.
    There was always so much childish crap and drama on this forum that drove a lot of people away. I personally never cared for this forum because of it.

I'm not saying there has never been good discussions, data analysis or anything of that sort, it's just that those threads are hugely out-weighted by the number of childish antics, drama, name-calling and other garbage that really doesn't belong. In the past, there were issues with moderator/admin favoritism as well where certain people were allowed to get away with things others couldn't and were allowed to bend the rules more than others. When someone came to this site in the past looking for info to find 1 thread every few pages of anything decent, while the rest were 4chan-like trash, there was really no incentive for people to join and care about being here.

This site also didn't offer anything more than forums, like others have mentioned above, so there was nothing else to keep people here. Personally, I also feel as though, if bg-wiki didn't happen this site/forum would probably be dead by now.

Just my view on it from over the years.

Cheers to those dedicated to keeping things going with actual purpose, and those updating the wiki on the regular. I don't play the game any longer and haven't since before Abyssea but it's still nice to see people offering their free time to things for this game.

Pretty minor update doesn't seem to warrant much discussion. Not the end of the world, but some gamers like to fall into the trap that something's worth is directly related to external media involving it, for better or worse.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by atom0s View Post
    Personally, I also feel as though, if bg-wiki didn't happen this site/forum would probably be dead by now.

Just my view on it from over the years.
    Well, I mostly agree with this. However, the general real life forum discussion is actually somewhat populated by die hard members. However, yes the game forums would be ZAMed.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Pretty minor update doesn't seem to warrant much discussion. Not the end of the world, but some gamers like to fall into the trap that something's worth is directly related to external media involving it, for better or worse.
    A new Master Trial fight was released for the first time in well over a year, and ambuscade mechanics were shifted back to unresolved matters. Not to mention brand new content for treasure has people being killed by mimics with no information on the event overall. No need for discussion here, duh.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've recently returned to the game after a 2.5 year absence and was surprised at the lack of discussion here as well. I've been active in other parts of the site during my absence from XI so the lack of activity here was sort of alien. I'm used to the other threads that get a few dozen or 50+ posts a day.

My LS has been trying to down the mimic instead of gaming the boxes for gear. Maybe to spark some discussion here beyond "I gambled with my orb and got x Omen drop" that AH has going on, I'll list out what we know.

Spawn: Ka-Thwack - Shin Zetsuken style attack - Have RR up to be dispelled by it and any defenses you can to lessen the damage.
    100% > 70%: Largely tank and spank, casts some AM II and death. It'll draw in anyone who pulls hate that is out of range. He's pretty easy in this form.

70% threshold: Ka-Thwack
    70% > 40%: All the above and it gains a -80% DT effect. It also begins cycling through absorbing Light or Darkness aligned elements, gaining a large bonus % off of what your base damage would be. It also begins using Death Trap as a standard TP move. The -DT can be temporarily removed by using a skillchain + MB of the opposite Light/Dark element that it is currently absorbing. The damage doesn't matter, just as long as it's MBed. Don't MB twice though or it'll absorb the 2nd. Performing the MB will proc it, removing it's -DT and causing it to use Death Trap 10~ seconds after the proc. This is enough time to range it if you're wanting to avoid the stun/poison. At this point, the -DT returns and you'll need to perform the above steps again. I'm not 100% sure how it swaps between the elements it absorbs, though it seems to be a mix of time/last MB based. We had it swap absorb elements sometimes when we thought we knew what it would be. We found it best to check it with dia/bio prior to the multipart SC (Sch SCing + Geo MBing > Smn BPing to SC again, taking advantage of the -DT removal), though a weak stone/aero would work fine too. It seems to counter with a Death Trap if you cast something it absorbs so be mindful of that if someone is mid SCing or something.

40% threshold: Ka-Thwack
    40% > ??? (10% we assume): All the above. It keeps a similar pattern to last phase, though something else causes the -DT to drop. Sometimes we could get physical to hit hard, sometimes magic, and sometimes nothing. The absorption mechanics seem to remain the same. It also begins casting Behemoth style Meteor. I dunno the range, but it was at least 25. It's not overly strong, though if you're not prepared for it, it'll likely kill off some people. I saw damage values ranging from 800-2k (assuming 2k was someone caught in no -DT gear, only saw it once).

We've managed to get it to the mid 20%s. We're kind of at a loss on what's causing the -DT shift at this phase.

A few notes about party comp and how to handle him:

-Pup Automaton is still immune to death, though Ka-Thwack tends to be more than it can handle. You'll want to prep your own defences as you near Ka-Thwack thresholds incase the Automaton goes down so you can survive getting drawn in. You'll be taking some 300~ melee hits after just eating Ka-Thwack.

-He's sleepable. This is useful for interrupting death casts or to better manage phase transitions. We've had *some* success with standard Sleep spells, but Brd Lullabies seem to be the way to go by far.

-You seem to cap hate easily and often. Even as the Geo just bubbling, debuffing, MBing for 80~ damage, and occasionally curing, I found myself getting drawn in and beat on very often. Be prepared with defensive buffs and -DT sets to lessen the blows.

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sub mage and Caitsiths for RR, the new meta.