+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BG Veterinarian thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Mine refuse frozen =( tried so many times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

It's a process, and if you have a picky eater ball python, it's not a great process.

My carpets went from live, to fresh from the hammer, to frozen-thawed in about 6 weeks. Once every couple of years this one goes off her feed for a few weeks, even though she generally has an amazing feeding response. This time it's just longer than usual, and it's been the longest I've had any snake refuse food.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I went 9 months with my ball python not eating. Shit is infuriating when rats are 8 bucks a pop, are only delivered to the store once a week, and sell out before the store closes. I'm seriously on the edge of breeding my own colony and selling to local friends cause we all have the same issue.

When I was a kid I had a Colombian Boa and I bred mice for her in our laundry room. Was super easy and I always had a fresh supply of pinkies. It did get out of hand one time when one mouse gave birth to some unusually large litter so I had to sell the excess to the pet store nearby.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I always toyed with the idea of making a business out of it, but idk if I'm ready for that commitment lol. Seriously considering making a single family unit box and seeing how it goes from there though.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I always toyed with the idea of making a business out of it, but idk if I'm ready for that commitment lol. Seriously considering making a single family unit box and seeing how it goes from there though.

Just remember no matter how frequently you clean their cage mice/rats are REALLY stinky. Keep them in a garage or room where the smell won't be an issue. But also remember they need to be warm so if they are in a garage a heat lamp is probably needed.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I have an outdoor laundry room that I could potentially outfit to hold a single box to house a mom and her litter (I'm already set on using the father as feed the moment mom is knocked up lol). I gotta place some hydrometers and thermometers in there for a week or so so I can see what kind of temps and air quality it goes through throughout the day cause the room isn't hooked up to the central air.

If that doesnt work then I might convert the second bedroom/office by selling some furniture and making space in there but I'd rather not deal with that.

BG Level

If you're breeding rodents, man, dont try to do that in the house. Not without some serious ventilation work. Get one of those mini outdoor sheds.

Edit: ok I see it was an outdoor laundry room, so that's better. Still dunno I'd want to have my laundry around that.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah I'm hesitant cause they'd be higher up above the machines and that just sounds like a recipe for disaster. I also have a shaded patio that I could rearrange to hide a tub in the corner during the warmer months, but I'm hesitant to raise rats "outside outside" unless I was sure their health wouldn't be affected.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i had a pet rat when i was a kid. didn't really stink any worse than the hedgehog, gerbils, or hamsters i've had over the years. and he was more cuddly/playful. the hedgehog was a total bro tho. anyway, what i'm getting at is i hope you're planning to give them a proper enclosure. just cos they're feeders doesn't mean they can't be comfortable, you know? and a lot of the smell from rodents can be mitigated by frequent cleaning of their enclosures. especially if you use a nice cedar shaving substrate or something like that.

could also look into kitty litter. i have a vague recollection of some kind of link there, but maybe that's just because we had cats at the time. anyway, you could probably skim pet rat communities for ideas. i wouldn't post in 'em, though. from what i remember theyre pretty perceptive about when people are using the rats as feeders and don't usually take kindly to it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Well keeping them engaged helps keep them passive and manageable. Fewer bites, fights, or infanticide. A wheel to run helps.

I'd have to do weekly bedding changes for a colony. I'd start with 1 or 2 mothers sharing a box, and they'll make 15ish babies every two months. Id use 6ish a month, so this might be self sustaining.

BG Level

a pet rat is awesome.

a colony of rats is another story.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My doggo is getting older (11ish) and starting to show incontinence issues. Specifically, she can’t seem to hold it anymore through the night or while I’m at work. When I am home I take her out every couple of hours, but even when I take her out before bed around midnight, she can’t hold it until I wake up for work around 7:30am. Similarly, I’ll take her out before I leave for work around 8am, but she can no longer hold it until I get home (usually in the 5pm range). She likes to go pee in the same spot—right in front of the door to my spare bedroom that is currently unoccupied. Obviously this will become an issue if I have a roommate in the future because they certainly don’t want dog piss right outside their door and the smell that comes with it. I’ve resorted to putting down a towel in that spot and she will pee on that instead but this seems like a band-aid solution to a bigger problem. Dog daycare is not an option for me right now as I really can’t afford the extra weekly expense that would bring. I’ve considered leaving her shut in my bedroom at night and while I’m at work, as I think she would be less likely to have an accident in her primary living space. But I hate the idea of keeping her constricted like that all day. I could, in theory, make it back home during my lunch break to let her out. But the commute home & back would leave me no time to actually have lunch or relax for any amount of time. I’ve considered buying those puppy training pads and using them instead of towels, but again that doesn’t seem like a long term solution. Any ideas on what I can do?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    My doggo is getting older (11ish) and starting to show incontinence issues. Specifically, she can’t seem to hold it anymore through the night or while I’m at work. When I am home I take her out every couple of hours, but even when I take her out before bed around midnight, she can’t hold it until I wake up for work around 7:30am. Similarly, I’ll take her out before I leave for work around 8am, but she can no longer hold it until I get home (usually in the 5pm range). She likes to go pee in the same spot—right in front of the door to my spare bedroom that is currently unoccupied. Obviously this will become an issue if I have a roommate in the future because they certainly don’t want dog piss right outside their door and the smell that comes with it. I’ve resorted to putting down a towel in that spot and she will pee on that instead but this seems like a band-aid solution to a bigger problem. Dog daycare is not an option for me right now as I really can’t afford the extra weekly expense that would bring. I’ve considered leaving her shut in my bedroom at night and while I’m at work, as I think she would be less likely to have an accident in her primary living space. But I hate the idea of keeping her constricted like that all day. I could, in theory, make it back home during my lunch break to let her out. But the commute home & back would leave me no time to actually have lunch or relax for any amount of time. I’ve considered buying those puppy training pads and using them instead of towels, but again that doesn’t seem like a long term solution. Any ideas on what I can do?
    Take your dog to the vet first. Incontinence can be caused by bladder or urinary tract infections among other things. Taking care of the cause of the incontinence can stop the incontinence. On the other hand if it is just an age related thing which it very well could be then your two main options are either the puppy piddle pads or diapers. (or doggy daycare).

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

I have puppy pads in a 2x2 array in the kitchen where the dogs commonly pee. My dogs are all geriatric (15 years+) and at least one of them cannot hold it in anymore, even when there are people home. So instead of cleaning the kitchen tiles every time, I just change the pads every 2-3 days and Febreeze it each day when I don't change.

At least they stopped peeing on the rug since I have done this.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

I use the pads by the door at night bc my dog is a diva and refuses to go out if it's wet or raining, not very expensive for a big box of them

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Costco has the best deal on those pads.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Can also look to see if you can get a dog walker for the middle of the day. Prices vary depending on your area. May be like $15-20 per visit.