Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Connection issues; weird r0 occurrences

So I returned to the game last week, and I’ve been plagued with connection issues. There are places where I r0 a lot. But it rarely takes me all the way to a disconnect, just makes it difficult to accomplish anything. A few places where I consistently seem to r0 include Ordelle’s Caves, South Gustaberg, Throne Room, and others. I can usually tell that it’s about to happen because when I zone in, the “downloading data” message at the corner lasts longer than usual. This often results in npcs and other objects not loading, making me unable to interact with them.

And some weird stuff happens. Some examples:

• I will log in to an r0, so I will warp out and hike back to the zone, and the r0 will be gone.
    • I was fine in La Theine Plateau and started to r0 REAL bad when I zoned into Ordelle’s Caves. I logged out all the way (I.e. shut down, out of PlayOnline), then logged back in and the r0 was gone. But then when I zoned back out into La Theine, I disconnected and had to shut down the program via task manager.
    • Yesterday, I went to the Throne Room for mission 5-2, but I was r0ing and couldn’t click on anything. I relogged several times, warped out and zoned back in, tried everything I could think of, but I kept r0ing. Spent almost an hour trying to figure this out. Then, a linkshellmate had me come out to Balga’s Dais to tag along for a BCNM. After he beat the BCNM and we exited, I went back to the Throne Room, and my connection was fine and I was able to complete the mission. This linkshellmate is Japanese so I couldn’t understand his explanation, but I also got the sense that he knew this would work but didn’t really understand the technical explanation of why.

And other such weird connection issues. I am completely clueless about the technical side of connections and such. This sound familiar to anyone? Anyone else experiencing the same thing and have any suggestions?

Note: Mudrun doesn’t help at all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sounds like router/ISP issues. I had this before and replacing the router fixed it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I think it’s an ISP issue as I’m plugged directly into their modem. Is there anyway to overcome this via hardware or software?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Actually, let me add I did have similar problems in the past with this ISP. Here in Korea, the modern apartments don’t need modems, we plug our routers directly into the wall. I was able to fix the problem by using a third party router instead of the one they provided. I moved to a more old fashioned area which requires a modem. Now I plug in directly into the modem, so no way to get around that. I tried plugging the router that fixed the problem previously, and it’s not fixing the problem now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My problem was specifically my router, which was fixed after replacing. You may have to do some digging around on the net to find out more, since this is on your ISP instead of your device.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Yeah. Mudfish does seem to eliminate much of the general lag, so I’ve been messing with settings on it, seeing if I can rig something. No idea what else to do.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

If its your hops your likely shit out of luck until they get changed on their own when backend work is done by your ISP. You can report it but they will do fuck all and laugh at you, VPN is your only alternative.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Would a VPN fix this? I mean if it’s a hardware/ISP issue and not a IP address issue, then wouldn’t a VPN still go through whatever’s causing it?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Odds of hardware failure is pathetically low unless you're using the same thing over the course of the last 10 years, then you could almost consider it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Not talking about failure, I’m talking about compatibility or configuration issues. The hardware is modern so I know it’s fine.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I stand corrected. It would seem a VPN has solved this problem along with several other connection issues I’d been having. But, still hoping to find a more permanent solution.