• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    [/spoiler]

Are those Rosewill fans? How is the noise level?
    yea, its this case, for some reason i was having a hell of a time picking a case and this one was on sale for 70 and came with 4 fans i was like OH ITS FUCKIN IT, noise level not bad, i don't even hear it on high if anything else in the room is on. My last pc sounded like a fuckin wind turbine so really anything is an improvement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mabubeezareel View Post
    Lookin pretty good for a first-timer - grats! Such a great feeling when you first power it on and everything boots, right?
    man i cannot tell you how nervous I was that nothing would work. It really felt great

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    man i cannot tell you how nervous I was that nothing would work. It really felt great
    The very first is an incredible feeling after you boot up and get into Windows. I haven't built a PC with all new parts in some time so right now for me it's praying the shit boots and doesn't crash.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I made this last week, first PC I’ve ever built and it seems to work so that is chill

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Put this one together ~2 years ago, but had it taken apart to replace a bum power supply (and the GPU it fried) recently:

Front:

Back:

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I have a mix of really old shit and new. Initial build was in 2013 and looks absolutely nothing like it does now. The only original parts are the board, processor and that rear fan which used to belong to someone here on BG. It's salvaged from a pre-built rig I bought from here many a year ago (2010-2011?) A real piece of BG cooling history.

(bay's missing because I was still flooding the loop at the time, inlet is on top)

Rebuilt around a week ago. My PSU AND my power strip were dying so I replaced them. The 750 is a bit longer than my prior supply so that requried re-doing the tubing from the nightmare I'd made out of it after I rebuilt it the second time. Never screw radiators into the bottom of your case. Not that you didn't know that probably. It looked cool at the time.

I really need to get around to not having a really old board and processor but they've been fine so I continue to put it off. Build can handle anything I've thrown at it, including some 4k. I enjoy that this build is impossible with this board according to Gigabyte. I achieved what I wanted. Complete and utter silence.

Specs:
    Spoiler: show

Board/RAM:
    GA-Z77-UD3H Gigabyte | F18 BIOS w/ added NvME module
    16GB 1666 Corsair Vengeance

Processors:
    [email protected] | EK Acetal block
    EVGA 1070 FTW | EK Acetal block

Radiators/Res:
    HWLabs 360 on top
    EK CoolStream 240 front mount
    EK Dual bay 5.25 split chamber resevoir

Fans/Pump:
    6x Noctua 120mm
    D5 Pump | PrimoChill block

Storage:
    Samsung 870 EVO NvME - boot
    WD Black 1TB - storage
    Intel 320 series SSD - games

Network:
    Intel i350

Capture:
    AverMedia LG4K

Power:
    EVGA 750 P2

todo: second pump and split the GPU and CPU into their own individual loop.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

That's a lot of water cooling! Bet it keeps things cool and reasonably quiet though.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thought it was gonna be loud but noticed all the noctua fans after. Nice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    That's a lot of water cooling! Bet it keeps things cool and reasonably quiet though.
    GPU idles at 22-24 and never passes 45-50 under load, ymmv with ambient. Stock thermal paste on the EVGA 1070s was an issue from the day they shipped if you recall the mail EVGA sent out offering free thermal replacement service as well as shipping people paste to DIY AND pushing a BIOS update. It's silly how dramatic the difference is. I've seen this thing in the 80s on air and it would idle in the 40s at times.

Processor typically idles around 30-32C with 45-50 range under load, prior was 40+ idle and 70+ load. To bring that down more I'd need to delid it but I want a spare processor for that project. Not risking my original. I can possibly bring the temps down more by putting them on their individual loops. The CPU would be on the top radiator with the GPU on the front. ATM they both contribute heat to one another, albeit minor from my understanding. Would allow for using the right bay on the reservoir as well which is what I really want.

As for sound, yeah. You have to look to know it's on. I was worried you'd hear the water with this tubing setup but once it flooded completely it was silent again. Pump at 80%, Noctuas on 100. I could use the ultra-low noise adapters and rubber screws but I didn't need to, though at one point I did for my pump. They're good vibration dampeners. I swapped to rubber washers for an easier time.

In a cool enough room I can achieve passive. It will be an even worse space heater in that situation though. It's very efficient at removing heat and will quickly bring up temperatures in a poorly ventilated/cooled room. I didn't know how much ambient temperature was going to effect it. On cool wintery days I can idle at 20C on the card and as low as the mid-high 20s on the processor.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

This is a question more about your total battle station than just your build. Lately by the time I get home after work I don't care to sit at my desk because I just spent the last 8 1/2 hours sitting at a desk. My work chair isn't uncomfortable and neither is my home chair. For instance last Sunday I played a game at home at my desk for like, four hours straight. But when I get home from work I'm just not comfortable.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as a chair replacement. I have a really nice monitor that I love so the idea of couch gaming on the PC isn't appealing to me really. I've never considered other furniture to add to the station or something else? Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and I need a better chair? Link to current chair.

Pretty sure these are our chairs at work: https://officechairatwork.com/produc...SABEgJDSPD_BwE

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Get a Herman Miller Aeron.

Used is fine, they will be among the last surviving things after the apocalypse along with cockroaches and Twinkies.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Get a Herman Miller Aeron.

Used is fine, they will be among the last surviving things after the apocalypse along with cockroaches and Twinkies.
    I can't buy anything for a few weeks at best, but thoughts about this?

https://lansing.craigslist.org/bfs/d...943707131.html

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I can't buy anything for a few weeks at best, but thoughts about this?

https://lansing.craigslist.org/bfs/d...943707131.html
    Cheaper than mine!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Cheaper than mine!
    It looks possibly a little old. Are the warranties transferable? I don't suppose I'd even need it. I cross referenced the phone number to that ad and it's about an hour and a half away so besides not in a position to buy one right this minute (just bought a car) the drive doesn't motivate me either. I suppose that's a pretty nice price though? The same place has other listings for Aeron chairs for around $350.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

They are pretty much tanks, paid close to 400 for mine.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Bought mine new 10 years ago for like $650. Only thing showing any wear (you can't feel it) are the pads of the arm rests, they also have about of inch of side to side wobble in them. I'm a 250lb dude and I'd bet I've gotten over 15k hours of use out of it so far. Still my only negative for Aerons are if you like tucking one foot under the knee of your other leg.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Bought mine new 10 years ago for like $650. Only thing showing any wear (you can't feel it) are the pads of the arm rests, they also have about of inch of side to side wobble in them. I'm a 250lb dude and I'd bet I've gotten over 15k hours of use out of it so far. Still my only negative for Aerons are if you like tucking one foot under the knee of your other leg.
    I'm right around 250 as of now. I don't tuck my right leg but have my foot against my left thigh if that makes sense. If I can unload all my extra parts and stuff I'll probably go grab that $250 one. Never thought I'd get literally zero bites asking $200 for a brand new Samsung 4k 28" monitor....

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Putting this here so y'all can tell me if I got a good deal or if I'm a dumb dumb. Bought used from Ebay off a laptop mass reseller a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 14” Laptop 1600x900 Core i7-3520M, 8 GB RAM with 250 HDD. Comes with W10 installed. Considering getting a 240GB SSD or maybe even a 480/500. Paid $132. Good deal?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

If it's in good shape and has been properly refurbished, 130 bucks sounds like a good deal. Lenovos are pretty good work laptops.
    But a 3rd gen Core i is... old...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    If it's in good shape and has been properly refurbished, 130 bucks sounds like a good deal. Lenovos are pretty good work laptops.
    But a 3rd gen Core i is... old...
    Bought it basically to lug around to work to play XI on my late nights and Saturdays. I was considering my wife's laptop from 2009 with an AMD processor could run it so this should be able to, right??!