BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Do I need a headphone amp?

So I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop, expecting a complete eargasm going from my HD598SE. Much to my disappointment, the 6XX sounds TERRIBLE in comparison to the 598SE. The bass is not impressive, and the highs are harsh. In some basic A/B comparisons with a few of my favorite tunes, I wanted to wrap up the 6XX and send them right back.

However, before doing so, I figured I'd try to find out what may actually be the problem here. My setup is as follows:

PC -> HDMI out -> Marantz NR1508 AVR -> Headphone out

I listen to a variety of different music, with rock and alternative being my preferred genres. Most of my collection is 128kbps encoded MP3 (yeah, yeah, I know, I know....), with quite a few rips having higher bit rates upwards of 320. No matter though, they all sound like trash on the 6XX compared to the 598SE. The 598SE's have some punchy, but not overpowering bass, and the highs roll off at a good clip to where I'm not fatigued by them after just a few minutes.

I've been reading that the headphone out in most AVRs are not that great, lacking a dedicated amp and not supplying enough oomph to properly drive higher impedance phones. So, before I go drop another $100 on a dedicated headphone amp, do you think that the 6XX would actually benefit from one given my current setup, or are these two pairs of headphones just fundamentally different in how they reproduce sound and I simply care more for the signature of the 598SE?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Try APO Equalizer with them first.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/..._hd6xx_inside/

I use APO on my Philips SHP-9500s and it makes a big difference.

Dunno how that setup works on those cans but you could adjust them.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Thanks, that did indeed help quite a bit. I'm using Profile 1, and it's about on par with the 598SE now. Which just makes me wonder - if I need an OS-based EQ to get this set to sound just "as good" as my other set that doesn't require said EQ, then what's the point? Am I still missing something here?

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Welcome to the world of wanky audio marketing.

It's a world that makes apples dongle and advertising model look modest and respectable for the consumer.
    It makes the fart sniffers of wine snobbery look like reasonable and informed people.
    It makes Fox news look like a fair and balanced news network.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I fell down the hi end audio hole for quite a while before realizing so much of it is completely worthless. To say nothing of how inconvenient lugging around portable headphone amps and adapters is.

Now my home audio setup is just a sound bar with a built in sub and my headphones are the relatively cheap ATH-M50 and V-Moda Metallo.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I use Corsair HS60's for my PC. They were $40. I do not feel I need anything else.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I laugh at all the super high-end audiophile bullshit I see on the subway every day.

You hit the nail on the head with
    what's the point?
    The point is that you can get very high quality headphones for under $150 and there's no need to spend more unless you're prone to fingering your asshole while moaning about the "crispness" of the sound.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

I got my Philips SHP-9500s last year at 60$ and i am very happy with them.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I laugh at all the super high-end audiophile bullshit I see on the subway every day.

You hit the nail on the head with

The point is that you can get very high quality headphones for under $150 and there's no need to spend more unless you're prone to fingering your asshole while moaning about the "crispness" of the sound.
    Don't finger your asshole bro, you'll end up with pink eye

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Playing with your asshole is a right.