haven't games looked good enough for awhile now or am i just old

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    They never look good enough.

We must keep paying a premium for pretty grass and water over such vapid inclusions like gameplay and story because that's what it means to be a GAMR.

This is kinda how i feel. PC games running Medium settings still look amazing to me.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Most of the most eye catching graphical improvements come from lighting and particle effects which have been seeing pretty big improvements over the last couple of years, particularly on PC.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Am I the only one not really impressed? We already have graphics like this. The impressive part would be load times and texture popin on something that isn't a giant brown desert, and fps. Idk, just seems kinda basic bitch to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You and me both. I can tell the difference between AAA early gen PS3 games and AAA late gen PS4 games, sure, but that's going to become less defined as we move forward. People cried foul at the graphical downgrade of Watch_Dogs between presentation and release, but I didn't notice until I saw a side-by-side comparison. Even then I didn't care - Watch_Dogs was one of my favorite games of this gen. Games are definitely approaching the point of diminishing returns for me as far as graphical upgrades are concerned. I can marvel at RDR2 or FFVIIR, but I don't think I'll much be able to tell the difference between, say, Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 Pro and the same game on PS5, nor will it bother me much. Frankly, the upgrade I'm most excited for on next gen hardware is the lower or non-existent loading times.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

We’ve just released a first look at Unreal Engine 5. One of our goals in this next generation is to achieve photorealism on par with movie CG and real life, and put it within practical reach of development teams of all sizes through highly productive tools and content libraries.

The “Lumen in the Land of Nanite” real-time demo running live on PlayStation 5 previews two of the new core technologies that will debut in Unreal Engine 5:

• Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see. Nanite virtualized geometry means that film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine—anything from ZBrush sculpts to photogrammetry scans to CAD data—and it just works. Nanite geometry is streamed and scaled in real time so there are no more polygon count budgets, polygon memory budgets, or draw count budgets; there is no need to bake details to normal maps or manually author LODs; and there is no loss in quality.

• Lumen is a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes. The system renders diffuse interreflection with infinite bounces and indirect specular reflections in huge, detailed environments, at scales ranging from kilometers to millimeters. Artists and designers can create more dynamic scenes using Lumen, for example, changing the sun angle for time of day, turning on a flashlight, or blowing a hole in the ceiling, and indirect lighting will adapt accordingly. Lumen erases the need to wait for lightmap bakes to finish and to author light map UVs—a huge time savings when an artist can move a light inside the Unreal Editor and lighting looks the same as when the game is run on console.

Numerous teams and technologies have come together to enable this leap in quality. To build large scenes with Nanite geometry technology, the team made heavy use of the Quixel Megascans library, which provides film-quality objects up to hundreds of millions of polygons. To support vastly larger and more detailed scenes than previous generations, PlayStation 5 provides a dramatic increase in storage bandwidth.

The demo also showcases existing engine systems such as Chaos physics and destruction, Niagara VFX, convolution reverb, and ambisonics rendering.

Unreal Engine 4 and 5 timeline

Unreal Engine 4.25 already supports next-generation console platforms from Sony and Microsoft, and Epic is working closely with console manufacturers and dozens of game developers and publishers using Unreal Engine 4 to build next-gen games.

Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.

We’re designing for forward compatibility, so you can get started with next-gen development now in UE4 and move your projects to UE5 when ready.

We will release Fortnite, built with UE4, on next-gen consoles at launch and, in keeping with our commitment to prove out industry-leading features through internal production, migrate the game to UE5 in mid-2021.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b...nreal-engine-5

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Sony reportedly has a PS5 showcase in the works. It could be next Wednesday, it could be later.

Sony Corp. is planning a digital event to showcase games for its next-generation PlayStation 5 that may take place as early as next week, according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.

The virtual event could be held June 3, though some people also cautioned that plans have been in flux and that the date may change. Other PlayStation 5 events may follow in the coming weeks and months, and Sony is not expected to reveal every essential detail on the console during its first presentation.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=uE15RiYa

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Are there any solid guesses to what is going to be announced?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Their partnership with Samsung and how they will be working closely with them to create SSDs so us PC plebs can keep up.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Madden, NBA FIFA and NHL games.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Are there any solid guesses to what is going to be announced?
    I'm mostly expecting them to be as quiet about PS4 BC stuff as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    Their partnership with Samsung and how they will be working closely with them to create SSDs so us PC plebs can keep up.
    And then someone like Carmack comes out and talks about unbuffered IO on Windows to achieve similar speeds on current hardware...
    I don't know. High read rates are great, but it feels like it may become a crutch for managing limited RAM. Won't know until Sony gives us some actual numbers on the hardware specs.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

The fact they're saying it's a gameplay reveal has me concerned we're still not going to get to see the console.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm starting to believe those design flaw rumors more and more.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    The fact they're saying it's a gameplay reveal has me concerned we're still not going to get to see the console.
    Gameplay pre-recorded running on a PC but it's being played back on the VLC player installed on the console.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Madden, NBA FIFA and NHL games.
    TV. Sports. TV. Sports.

PS5.

Go home.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    I'm starting to believe those design flaw rumors more and more.
    I hear the exact opposite and devs love the ps5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag