Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Nividia shield works great, it optimizes the settings for your connection and uses Nvidia PC's to power so they look great.
    You can also use moonlight game streaming to stream games to other devices, uses nvidia's shield protocol and works just as well.

https://moonlight-stream.org/

I use Parsec to play with friends all the time and almost never notice any lag. I think the only time we had an issue with latency was when one of my friends was trying to use an old laptop.

If you haven't heard of Parsec, it allows you to stream your PC/laptop to other PC/laptops and allows those other devices to connect to your system and even play games with them. It's really nice for games that are typically couch/local co-op. Was playing Perfect Dark for N64 through an emulator the other night with a few friends. Can also "pass the controller" if you like to play 1-player games with other people.

https://parsecgaming.com

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

PSN beat Nintendo total sales (systems, physical, and digital) and MS gaming division. Another detail that might add to the streaming box rumor.

Playstation 5

Looks like info is starting to trickle out about PS5

https://kotaku.com/sony-reveals-firs...ils-1834074976

SSD + backwards compatibility. It's a good start.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Neat

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

they had me at backwards compatibility

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Honestly I'm not gunna bite until they sort out this cross platform shit. If Sony continues being a douche about cross platform play/account transfer next gen, they're not gettin any money from me.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

If it can play PS1-5 games, that would definitely be a strong reason for me to get one. Possibly a bit after launch though, launch lineups are usually not great.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Unless Sony has performed true fuckin' Sam Neill Merlin magic, a SSD does not bode well for a pricepoint.
    Which means my mad hopes for PS1,2,3 backwards compatibility by tacking on a EE & Cell add-on chip are even more slim.

(Like, seriously. The console doesn't need to even ship with it. Just include an expansion bay on the PS5, and I'll buy the BC card to add in, in a year.)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    they had me at backwards compatibility
    Good as that is, they only mentioned PS4, which is something I would have already expected. I mean, it's not a 100% given of course, but it does seem like they can keep iterating on the same x86/AMD platform (and Nintendo on the Tegra). They're sort of at the point now where it can be like a new PC. Better specs, but little need to reinvent the wheel.

Price would be my biggest concern honestly. SSD and the graphics they are trying to aim for with 8k, and ray tracing. I mean, this sounds like it's going to be crazy expensive.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

If it plays back to at least 3, I'm all in. Then I can weep while playing Armored Core: 4 Answer whilst wondering why From Software can't spend like 3% of their massive money-pit from Dark-Sekiro-Borne profits to make a modern 60FPS Armored Core game for single/multiplayer.

If it plays back to 2, even better. I can play Budokai Tenkaichi 3 again and marvel at how complete of a game that was back then.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Oh neat, PS4 games will finally be playable in native 4k maybe.

I do not think at all backwards compatibility meant anything beyond ps4. I'm ok with that given my current setup but it would be incredible if they offered full backwards compatibility. I would love to see something crazy like full backwards compatibility + the option for original dev's to go in and give a trophy patch but I know that's wishful thinking.

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

SSDs aren't that much more expensive depending on the size and if they've landed a solid deal it's pretty realistic to keep their price point imo. They've come down considerably. Especially NVME drives.. Not holding my breath though and those are some really "lol aim high" graphics.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I like people worrying about the SSD dying from read/write usage like they think its something that would happen in the consoles life time. I just hope there is an expansion bay available to slap in a second SSD or HDD or support external drives. I can't imagine them slapping in something more than 500GB.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I too would be surprised if the SSD is over 500GB. A second bay is what's needed in my opinion. Have your SSD but also have a second so the owner can choose another SSD or bulk storage. 1TB 7200 rpm 2.5 hdd aren't expensive. But 2TB is a bit of a jump per pcpartpicker.com. You can get a 5400 rpm 2tb 2.5 hdd for a decent price though.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It'll likely depend on a lot of the particulars. QLC SSDs are already probably cheap enough to manage a 1TB one, though they aren't ideal for longevity. Perhaps if paired with something like Optane though? Either way, by the time this comes to market, I would suspect 1TB+ for at least some configs.

What would the theoretical cutoff be for what is acceptable for the lifetime of an SSD in a console? From what I saw an SSD in game console should be able to last much longer than a PC. Since we are moving toward cloud saves as opposed to local saves, if the hard drive does fail then you really only use a re-install and not anything super important, so wouldn't basically any SSD of the required size be able to get the job done for at least the span of a few console generations?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Even the cheapest QLC drives have write endurance in the 100TB range, which would likely be more then sufficient unless someone is constantly uninstalling/reinstalling games.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag