+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ehhh, from what we know this is more than just a new SSD in the console. The entire bus and system was designed from the ground up to take advantage of the new technologies; so while it is "just" an SSD, if its working as advertised, then it's an SSD operating at peak efficiency because everything on the board was designed to take that piece and remove the bottlenecks.

Basically, the benefits should be more pronounced than if you just put an SSD in your ps4 or One. The bottlenecks should be opened or worked around. But of course, this is all just expectations set by Sony themselves so who knows if they pull through. The one interview where they talked about the bus and how they're using SSDs really painted a good picture though. I'm on mobile or I'd link yall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    IDK about the OG Xbox, but every other Hard Drive console has used the most budget model 2.5" drive possible.

Likewise, we're probably gonna see bargain basement QLC nvme drives in this next gen of consoles, it's the only way they'll even remotely keep the prices down. And even then you're still talking around $100 on just the storage.

I think 500gb tlc would be a decent point. Samsung are doing the 860 evo 500gb MLC ( 3bit so really tlc? ) for $78 to consumers, sony can get them a lot cheaper in bulk than we can.

I think they're closer to $50 or less when you want a few million drives at a time.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I think 500gb tlc would be a decent point.
    Only if Sony/Microsoft mandate developers to learn wtf file compression is again. Otherwise 1tb or bust with every game weighing in at 40gb minimum with however much more in a day-1 update.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This is still going to be an x64 based system, so outside of maybe pcie 4.0 opening up additional bandwidth (and even then current nvme SSDs can't even fully saturate a pcie 3.0x4 lane), it's not going to do anything dramatically different then what we already see on PC.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just hope Sony or Microsoft enforce 60fps, they enforced 30fps targets on ps3/4, but it only has to be a certain% of the time and they cut big name studios some slack.

Sony could big dick MS and release 144hz TVs along with targeting 144hz on ps5, that'd actually be smart and forward thinking though, and we all know Sony isn't in the business of making good decisions.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I gave up long ago Sony and Microsoft are never gonna enforce performance because performance doesn't sell to the average Joe scum fuck who just wants the game to look pretty.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not smart though.

High fps isn't gonna show in screenshots or your standard 30 fps video or tv spots. And as we've seen, the average consumer doesn't give a shit. No reason to target the enthusiast market with higher fps when it would likely degrade the visuals for their primary advertising methods.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

But hey at least we'll likely get Bloodborne remastered at some point so we can finally play it with a grown up frame rate.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    But hey at least we'll likely get Bloodborne remastered at some point so we can finally play it with a grown up frame rate.
    I love that game dearly but the FPS and loading times were some of the worst I've ever experienced.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They've gotten much much better about it (tho it still takes 3rd party software to uncap the framerate in Sekiro), but so many From Software games are a technical mess.

I remember it took what... 2 or 3 years to fix the weapon durability bug in Dark Souls 2 on the PC?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Some really great promise for the PS5 - PS5 is using Zen 2 ( Ryzen 3000 series cpu ) and Navi ( 5700 series GPU ) - but nobody really knew how good they were until ~ the last 2-3 weeks when both were released.

Now that zen 2 is out, ( and I've personally gone from a 1700 OC to a 3700x on a b350 board ).
    Performance is sick. Price/perf is truly disgusting, and even the 3600 at $199 is incredible performance - likely PS5 is using a 3600 or

Navi is also out and it is a truly great platform, it beats nvidia at price/performance.

However the real key thing that's going to make PS5 insane is Radeon Image Sharpening - even in the pc community it hasn't got enough hype yet. You can run 4k downsampled to 1440p or lower, and apply RIS for a <1% ish performance hit, instead of the massive 50% hit that native resolution increase would cost.

That means 4k30 will be easily attainable for any game on the ps5 using RIS, and 4k60 might not be quite attainable but 4k50+ is likely, depends really on the details developers want to drop for it if they want to hit that as a Sony target or if they get left alone to make decisions.

Performance is going to be stunning for the price - although this is a wider price/performance drop in computing/gpu that AMD have been responsible for by finally having competitive CPUs and GPUs.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Looking forward to my jet engine oven on top of my entertainment center.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

PS5 doubling down as a pizza warmer. That thing is going to be expensive, I wonder who is going to announce first with their price so the competition can undercut the other, Hello PS3 & 360 situation.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I feel like Xbox won't fall for that trick AGAIN and wait for Sony to announce theirs but let's be honest Sony will still undercut them or wait them out longer.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Is Sony developing a handheld streaming device like xbox with the x Cloud or whatever it's called?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Is Sony developing a handheld streaming device like xbox with the x Cloud or whatever it's called?
    Where is this coming from? Lol

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Where is what coming from?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

As in, have you read a rumor somewhere to that effect?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Not at all. That's why I was asking if they had something similar in the works that someone might have had heard about. Would much prefer a ps controller/cloud based system for while I m at work, but if not, Ill probably get xboxs

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My friend is in the Microsoft Employee only X Cloud streaming Beta and says it is freaking incredible. He texted me some screenshots...it does look pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag