+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's cool, games will just be designed with that kinda latency in mind. Only the purest of fighting game fans will really care. It really comes down to how they handle 4k to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I have a HORRID back catalogue. If I could play all previous discs on PS5, that would be amazing!

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theshun View Post
    I have a HORRID back catalogue. If I could play all previous discs on PS5, that would be amazing!
    I'm somewhat ashamed of all great games in my backlog that I haven't touched. Hell, I really enjoyed Ghost Recon: Wildlands but I haven't played it (and am nowhere close to finishing it) in months. Caught the XI bug again.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Also regarding streaming the shield is around $100 and streams 1080p/60 PC games over WiFi without issue and really solid across Ethernet. Good enough to play games like Monster Hunter and not die. I imagine this is what the future looks like and being able to so 1080/60 will be more than enough for most people for a $100 box.
    Over WiFi? That's respectable. I just worry that the average person is going to see inconsistencies in quality/connection. If it's stable enough, then it might be the new thing.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I think it's the opposite. The general population doesnt recognize the little things like 250 latency or inconsistent frame drops or screen tearing.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

They may not be able to define what is happening, but they'll recognize when they can't properly time jumps from platforms, or realize that they can hear gun shots before they can see them. Those things will leave these people thinking the system is garbage when in actuality, it's their connection

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Theyll develop games in a way that gets around it. Of that I'm sure. So few games aside from competitive ones require that tight of timing.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Playstation 5

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I think it's the opposite. The general population doesnt recognize the little things like 250 latency or inconsistent frame drops or screen tearing.

This. Outside of competitive games it’s a non-issue imo. And if you’re going to be playing mostly competitive games than streaming over WiFi was never an option to begin with.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Ew, am I just getting old? I don't want to live in a world where everyone is playing games at 250 latency and are somehow having fun. Idk.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Dont feel bad homie, it took me a long time to realize I'm not the target demographic of gaming companies anymore. Feelsbadman.jpeg

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Playstation 5

I don’t know. I do repairs and install for internet residential and business and I hear every single day issues about devices dropping connection to WiFi . People under estimate what all connects to WiFi now. Ring doorbells, extenders . Mesh nodes, every smart tv in the house, every cell phone, every tablet/ laptop . Pc/ video game systems . Refrigerators now. And it’s across the board with proprietary routers and nice 3rd party routers. The top complaint is from parents with kids complaining about fortnite / call of duty and YouTubing . Sure they won’t know the exact reason they didn’t hit that jump or got killed first but they’ll know something is wrong.

Edit - homes of 1-2 people rarely have issues with connection drops unless it’s equipment related. But homes with families of 4 or more? It’s a common reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    Ew, am I just getting old? I don't want to live in a world where everyone is playing games at 250 latency and are somehow having fun. Idk.
    Unless you're playing something where reactions/timing/etc strictly don't matter, like a card game or a turn based RPG, I don't either. You are talking about an extra 15 frames of lag, that's nuts.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

yeah, 250ms is back in dialup territory. it seems unacceptable to me for that to become the norm again. high latency is a solved problem! going back to it just for the sake of fattening the profits of the platform holders seems very dumb and backwards to me.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I don't think anyone is advocating for that to be the norm again. The one and only point anyone is making in this thread is that we vastly overestimate how much the average gamer gives a shit about this. Truth be told we're not the average gamer anymore. For every anecdote of someone missing a jump due to lag input, one could easily point to the fortnite/smash kid playing through wifi routinely with zero complaints.

I'm not saying it's right. Just that the times they are a changing.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Dont feel bad homie, it took me a long time to realize I'm not the target demographic of gaming companies anymore. Feelsbadman.jpeg

This so much, I think Mass Effect 3 and FFXV finally really drove it in for me.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Playing an online game that is actually on your console/pc via wifi, is a far cry from playing remotely through some cloud service.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Part of the reason that this has become such a big rumor is there was a HUGE update to PSNow that actually makes it work with no delay. There are still issues, but it's weird stuff like getting a drink and using the WC kicks you from the service for being idle too long. It can't house that many users. Cutscenes seems to be the most pixelated aspect.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Playing an online game that is actually on your console/pc via wifi, is a far cry from playing remotely through some cloud service.
    But the shield has already been doing both of these for a while and quite well at that. The GeForceNow cloud service is even free as long as you own the game.

I read an article that Verizon was beta testing game streaming by giving certain people free shields and a 150$ Amazon gift card. They supposedly even had god of war and red dead 2 in their service which is sick.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Some people here are too old to believe something like this would be immensely popular. Some people in here are too old to think it's even possible. Lol

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I could see them more pushing their $100 streaming box (half that price eaten by an included controller likely) for trying to get more media-consuming devices in the house (potential PS Now/PS Vue subscribers), and to further continue the local remote-play trend as well set way back in the PS3 with PSP (albeit severely limiting), and PS4 with Vita. On the latter note, maybe they'll bother to beef up their PC client for all that at some point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag