FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rumor: Release will have Both Standard & Pro Versions of the Console
    https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-pro-reveal/ | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTx5AXdKqc

This is from the guy who leaked the Switch Lite news.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I believe it. It makes sense given the tech that exists right now that crushes what consoles currently possess

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't know why you'd burden yourself (and the developers) with a dual-SKU launch that is something which ends up being more than just hard drive size, plus potential problems to fix across two pieces of launch hardware instead of the one. Makes more sense to me to do a mid-gen refresh down the road once hardware sales start needing another boost, instead of having games which end up only looking/running good on the one system over the other which can lead to mixed perception of the title quality.

This is all assuming the Pro model actually has a notable specs bump like PS4 Pro/Xbox One X do over their contemporary, and is not just a stupid branding tactic similar to the mobile market. One that targets 1080p gaming and the other 4K-8K reconstructed.

Maybe they'll do the crazy and have them be the same, but Pro supports legacy Sony platforms/discs. One can dream since I'd pay the premium for that.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna hope the higher version includes some chips that let it play PS3 games.
    I'll probably be disappointed, but still.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Giving Sony far too much credit. A 5 Pro is just gonna be like it is now, fundamentally identical hardware with the numbers bumped up (wattage/clock speed/cores/price/etc)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

But every dev has to build for the base model. I wonder if we'll see any other BL3 examples where it works one base models but not so well on PRO.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I hope the differences between standard and pro is just backwards compatibility via hardware emulation.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Also believe pro and standard version differences won’t be drastic. Just some nice extras for the folks that aren’t on a tight budget.

Player demographics have changed. Age 30+ people playing videogames weren’t so common some 20 years ago but today that bracket is an entire audience that you have to serve in order to succeed in the market. These people now have a job, have their financial freedom and wouldn’t mind paying 50 bucks for those extras.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mayareira View Post
    Also believe pro and standard version differences won’t be drastic. Just some nice extras for the folks that aren’t on a tight budget.

Player demographics have changed. Age 30+ people playing videogames weren’t so common some 20 years ago but today that bracket is an entire audience that you have to serve in order to succeed in the market. These people now have a job, have their financial freedom and wouldn’t mind paying 50 bucks for those extras.
    I really hope companies start seeing things that way. I swear companies, especially Nintendo, think only kids buy games still. Plenty of people approaching their 30's that were gamers since a young age, are still gamers. They have expendable income, not 10 year olds.

I think they're just trying to hit the largest demographic possible. There are a lot of employed gamers with extra income these days yes. However there is also a lot of parents buying for kids and a lot of employed adult gamers who are broke. Spending $500-$600 on a new console, plus $60 for at least one game, is a hard pill to swallow for I'd say a large portion of current generation gamers regardless of demographic.

That said I wouldn't be opposed to consoles adopting a psedo-PC ideology of having higher tier console power for higher prices that run better, as long as the standard was what it required developers to make for so games didn't run like horseshit on a base console.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yall cray if you think you're more important than the next generation. You're enthusiasts sure, but the main slice of the income pie comes from conning parents to buy or subscribe to the next latest thing for their kid. To that end, everything else is weighed. Welcome to ageing out of being the main target demographic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Moot point tbh. Those of us old gamers with decent incomes just move to PC or only have a console to use in the common areas or with our kids.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alternatively: Fuck special versions of consoles and just make good, affordable ones from the start.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Moot point tbh. Those of us old gamers with decent incomes just move to PC or only have a console to use in the common areas or with our kids.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    This guy. Haven't touched a single PS4 game this cycle, and its not because they weren't good. There were just more PC games I wanted to play.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Actually we are in agreement. For enthusiasts the pro version with backwards compatibility, etc for an extra $50 and for those in tight budget, the standard version without the niche extras. Everyone will be happy, and the costs will be channeled into the critical points like overall console performance. No one would be disappointed as long as both consoles provide the same performance for games.

They should always keep consoles as affordable as possible for their main demographic.

Sure a single, cheap and engineered to perfection version with all extras would be the most ideal solution if they can pull it off.

It is not that I’d jump onto the “pro” version, it’d just give me the option to decide whether I need the extras and pay for them, or not.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Is the $50 wishful thinking? Currently the two versions of PS4 are a $100 difference between the two msrps.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would assume wishful, since there is no way there isn't a minimum $100 gap between the two. I'd wager it'd be on the higher end like +$175-200 over the base model, since I figure most folks would just pay the $100 extra to get the 'better' of the two at launch if it was only that much. I don't think you can charge anything more than $399 for a baseline console these days, so the non-Pro PS5 would have to be that at most.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Hopefully, this isn't a semantics thing and BASE = STREAMING and PRO = CONSOLE with a PS5.5 being what the PS4 PRO was. I hope the streaming idea was dropped and we're really talking about a base console and PRO model (upscaled).

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

$399 is a strong psychological barrier as stated by Kaisha so I’d expect prices to be ranging around that.

But then again, for $100 they have to offer something seriously important for people to consider. In terms of ps4 pro (which was released years after standard) they went with higher resolution for higher end TV’s but that should be standard if they release both consoles at the same time. Pro was a viable option for newbuyers, and priced at the original price of ps4 standard when it was released. I went with Pro version and bought my console in 2018.

For niche extras, $349/$399 for standard, $399/$449 sounds more viable to me. For anything close to $500 barrier; they really have to offer something significant and it has to be something that won’t break the standard version.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Console streaming has not been dropped lmao. They're even paying Microsoft to be their servers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 131 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag