+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 131 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I meant the $100 box that streams only. I haven't heard anything and I think MS and Sony might be pausing that to see the way Stadia goes. If it works, they can continue but if it fails horribly (I think it will), they can abandon the idea.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

MS isnt pausing anything. They're full steam ahead on streaming, but it isnt nearly as ambitious as Stadia, from what little they've talked about it.

There was an interview with Spencer about it during one of giantbomb E3 interviews.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I keep seeing the number $400 being thrown around as a rumored base price but a legitimate question. With the tech they're saying they want to put into this, how can they sell that low without it being a massive loss? I know consoles have always sold at a loss, but selling for only $400 base seems like they'd be basically giving the machine away.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pretty sure neither the PS4, Xbox One, or Switch were sold at a loss at launch

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Switch wasnt sold at loss, I dont know either way on ps or xbox.

As for costs, tech changes and prices come down. Have you guys even looked at SSD prices lately? Compare that to say the one I bought 6 years ago, nevermind how much faster and denser SSDs are even compared to those early gen ones. RAM is cheap as shit, and they have new, smaller processors and all the jazz that comes with it to work with like better bus speeds, etc. Every generation has enabled far more than the last horsepower wise, why is everyone so freaking skeptical upgrades to 8 year old consoles can accomplish these things.

Ignore game streaming, just building your own budget box PC not designed from the silicon up for one task, and you can get high end graphic fidelity on a budget between ryzen and any flavor 10th gen nvidia card. Have an entire production line focused on one specific machine and getting that cost down? Like they do every console gen? Yeah I see no problem.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I swear yall are a buncha grandpas

<$500. Believe it.

Not that $500 ain't a lot for a console lol

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's my understanding that most, if not all, consoles are sold at a loss. The profit comes from game licensing, peripherals, etc. that you need to use the thing.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That used to be how it went, but Nintendo has a history of trying hard to break even or profit on consoles. Sony and MS try really hard, but to date I dont think launch consoles have ever been profitable per unit for them. Only nintendo has managed afaik.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

A quick googling looks like the PS4 and Xbox One both sold for around a $60 loss per at launch, tho at this point I'd assume that is no longer the case.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Ps3 originally had a higher price tag at launch, $499 for standard 20 gig HD and $599 for 60 gig HD. This very negatively affected the sales initially and many times they told the press that they regret the decision. Price cut followed that of course.

Even Yoshida recalled the initial price announcement as “a horryfying moment” lol.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they start off with a tiny loss/console. A successful launch boosted by a good hype and marketing usually covers that up. Recall ps2, despite the horrible launch lineup the insane “emotion engine its so powerful that the world governments are ordering ps2s to control missile, launch rockets, shortage expected, buy ‘em before Kim Jong-Il does” stuff sells.

Definitely don’t think they’ll attempt to break the $399 barrier for standard. Maybe for the “pro” model. After you get the console inside homes A+ titles, exclusive; quality games will follow. Where else they can go?

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

The price point at launch definitely hurt the PS3, but people also weren't spending $1000 on iPhones back then.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Take away is a lower price is better, and no way is a console ever going to be above $500 ever again.

I doubt it's over $400 but i think it's still possible.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    The price point at launch definitely hurt the PS3, but people also weren't spending $1000 on iPhones back then.
    iPhones are paid for on payment plans, and even then, the most popular one by far is the $700 version. Bad comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    iPhones are paid for on payment plans, and even then, the most popular one by far is the $700 version. Bad comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeaaa. I don't know anyone who outright buys a phone for $800~$1500. Obviously those people exist but generally speaking these phones are financed as part of your service contract.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm thinking $500 for just PS4-5. If they show that it plays PS1-5, Sony can get $600.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Yeaaa. I don't know anyone who outright buys a phone for $800~$1500. Obviously those people exist but generally speaking these phones are financed as part of your service contract.
    I did with my last phone out of straight spite to not give Verizon anymore money for their already high-assed bill.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.
    Hmmm, Steam controllers.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

• PlayStation 5 supports ray-tracing. This is not a software-level fix. “There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” system architect Mark Cerny said, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”

• Physical games will use 100 gigabyte optical discs, which are inserted into an optical drive that doubles as a 4K Blu-ray player.

• Game installation is mandatory, but a bit different than game installation on PlayStation 4. Installation and removal is a more configurable process. “Rather than treating games like a big block of data, we’re allowing finer-grained access to the data,” Cerny said. For example, you may be able to install just a game’s multiplayer campaign, and leave the single-player campaign for later. Or install the whole thing and delete the single-player campaign when you have finished.

• The user interface has been completely revamped. “Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don’t want the player to have to boot the game, see what’s up, boot the game, see what’s up,” Cerny said. “Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time. Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.”

• The PlayStation 5 controller looks like the DualShock 4, but has a little hole in it, which Cerny said will be discussed at a later time. One of its new features is the “adaptive triggers,” which offer varying levels of resistance, and can make shooting a bow feel authentic in that the tension increases as you pull the arrow back, or make shooting a machine gun feel different from shooting a shotgun. It also has haptic feedback “far more capable” than the rumble motors of current controllers, with “highly programmable” voice-coil actuators in the left and right grips of the controller.

• Sony demonstrated the controller features with demos of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission and Gran Turismo Sport. Here are Wired’s impressions:

- Astro Bot: Rescue Mission – “I ran a character through a platform level featuring a number of different surfaces, all of which gave distinct—and surprisingly immersive—tactile experiences. Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumb sticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”

- Gran Turismo Sport – “Driving on the border between the track and the dirt, I could feel both surfaces. Doing the same thing on the same track using a DualShock 4 on a PS4, that sensation disappeared entirely. It wasn’t that the old style rumble feedback paled in comparison, it was that there was no feedback at all. User tests found that rumble feedback was too tiring to use continuously, so the released version of Gran Turismo Sport simply didn’t use it.”

• The PlayStation 5 controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging and has a larger-capacity battery. While a bit heavier than the DualShock 4, it will still be a bit lighter than the current Xbox controller “with batteries in it.”

• A number of studios already have PlayStation 5 development kits, and the controller prototypes began rolling out more recently.

• Shadow of the Colossus developer Bluepoint Games is working on a PlayStation 5 title. “We’re working on a big one right now,” said Bluepoint Games president Marco Thrush. “I’ll let you figure out the rest.” He added, “The SSD has me really excited. You don’t need to do gameplay hacks anymore to artificially slow players down—lock them behind doors, anything like that. Back in the cartridge days, games used to load instantly; we’re kind of going back to what consoles used to be.”

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Optical discs? Like Gamecube style?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 131 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video