+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I think I've seen some early rumors that they were going for full PS library backwards compatibility, so my fingers are still crossed.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If they make it so this can play games from all 4 previous playstations I don't know how Microsoft competes unless Sony lets their arrogance get the better of them which could very well happen.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That's all I want really. Backwards compatibility always to PSone (tired of playing Legend of Dragoon on emulators) and most importantly but unlikely l, cross platforming. The latter is as likely as net neutrality getting steam again but hope is a hope.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

It would be better for them financially because they can offer the older games. They tried with PS2 games but they barely added any to PS4.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Backwards compatibility for PS4 was a given imo. Similar architecture, just more powerful hardware.

SSD - 500gb SSDs are around £50 / $65 here, if you're buying a few million I'd assume you can hit the $40 mark? Nothing too drastic compared to a 1tb hdd.
    Performance should be pretty good - the Ryzen 3 2200g can do some serious lifting for the price, and that's a very budget APU.

The PS4 was a jaguar cpu paired with something similar to a 7850.
    A zen 2 based cpu paired with enough graphics power is gonna be pretty sick.

Maybe sony will surprise us and make 4k60 the target for all games...

Emulation and sony is weird. They seem to like it, but the PS1 classic that sony came out with was just a basic system running an open source emulator - PCSX ReARMed.

They could do the same with a ps2 emulator and add it to the ps5... but that'd make too much sense, hell rpcs3 is doing pretty well with ps3 games these days as well.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I find myself wondering, does the SSD supposedly being above specs of what's currently available mean we're either A) just seeing a revised PCIE standard or B) some proprietary interface that prevents the user from using whatever drive they want (and thus forcing consumers to pay a premium for drive replacement)

And I sincerely doubt we'll see 60 fps (specific genres like fighting games aside) being a target for the console market ever again.

Thanks to whichever mod merged this thread. I tried searching before I posted about it but apparently the number 5 is ignored so I just got a million results for PlayStation.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    SSD - 500gb SSDs are around £50 / $65 here, if you're buying a few million I'd assume you can hit the $40 mark? Nothing too drastic compared to a 1tb hdd.
    Performance should be pretty good - the Ryzen 3 2200g can do some serious lifting for the price, and that's a very budget APU.
    I can't see them not shipping at least a 1tb drive at the minimum, especially with how 500gb gives you fuck-all for storage space with how every game currently on PS4 wants to dump 50gb +5gb-or-more-in-day-1-update to it (whatever happened to file compression?), and the OS reserving a solid chunk for itself.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    They could do the same with a ps2 emulator and add it to the ps5... but that'd make too much sense, hell rpcs3 is doing pretty well with ps3 games these days as well.
    Sony already has their own in-house PS2 emulator for PS4 (which should therefore Just Work on PS5). It's how they sell digital PS2 games on the PS Store.

Rhythm games have always been the nemesis of emulators, and I played through almost all of Parappa 2 without a problem. (However, Parappa 2 predates in-game lag offset settings like Rock Band has, so if you try to play it - or Parappa 1 HD, for that matter - on a laggy TV, you're in for a bad time.)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

PS3s read PSOne discs. The rumor that PS5 will do all is Sony did four patents about emulation/reading software. Two from before PS4 days were renewed and they did two new ones recently (or filed and published). They could only apply to digital.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I can see 1tb SSDs, if they're the new nvme types or something similar. I hope they leverage the advantages of an SSD instead of just using it as a faster hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They would absolutely be QLC based. The price difference is massive compared to similar sized TLC drives, and even considering the size of modern games you would rarely hit the wall experienced going past the write cache. And since you wouldn't be moving files around on a console as much with a PC, there is less concern about write endurance, which negates the other primary disadvantage of QLC based SSDs.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My big question at this point is controller backward compatibility. I understand why they broke it from PS3->PS4 (the USB exploit that enabled PS3 cracking), but PS4 controllers (read: sticks) damn well better work on PS5. And for that matter, there was no legitimate reason at all for 360 controllers not to work on XBONE.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Or it wont be backwards compatible because:

AFAIK, the profit margins for consoles are incredibly low. They dont make money off the console, they make money off the accessories, PS Plus, games, microtransactions, etc.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It has to be backwards compatible because every other console is backwards compatible. Idk about backwards to PS1 days, but at the very least til 4.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    It has to be backwards compatible because every other console is backwards compatible. Idk about backwards to PS1 days, but at the very least til 4.
    Realistically, the only current one that's backwards compatible is the Xbox One, and even that's not a 100% thing as it does require MS to add things on a per-game basis. That said, as with many things for the Xbox platform this generation, it has been a commendable effort on their part. The basic idea that a license should remain valid across generations shouldn't be unique, but nobody else has made the effort to do that.
    PS4 content has been separate from PS3 from the start, and dropped stuff like PSOne Classics that previously were cross-device. Switch (somewhat understandably) was a clean break as well, though Nintendo's digital content has always been fragmented. GC->Wii->Wii U did offer BC for physical copies (until stripped out of the Wii), but that extended mostly from the fact that they were using similar PPC/AMD core hardware across them all.

That said, with respect to going forward, then sure. It's a pretty reasonable expectation that the next set of hardware revisions will be compatible with software on the shelves now, since they're sticking with the same AMD and Tegra platforms. In which case, Sony would end up behind the curve if they elected to split their marketplace again.

To me, if they had plans for PS1-3, other than offering them via PSNow...there'd be some form of that appearing on PS4 already, and there isn't. There are ports/emulated versions of older games available, but not via carrying over a license purchased on PS3 or by inserting the disc. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see support for the full range of Playstation consoles on PS5 as I have shelves of games for all of 'em. I just don't think Sony sees a benefit in doing that.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sony filed for patents related to emulation, so the rumors are they have a way to emulate previous gens that they haven't with PS4.

And they kind of have to. Xbox One and Switch can both play any game from any previous generation, the barrier of entry isn't the console itself but rather if the devs put the effort to add the game to the marketplace. Sony is the only one that cant do this at the moment and its noticeable. It also makes sense in this increasingly digital distributed ecosystem that all games are always playable, and not just only with the right version of the box hooked up. I'm bullish on backwards comp for all consoles in the next gen.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post

There are compatibility issues in using a ps3 controller on ps4, atleast for ps4 games, no?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag