• Navigation
Closed Thread
Page 46 of 112 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 ... LastLast
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I remember the time when Basketball players knew how throw and land punches. LOL

GATTACA!

BG Level

Like when Kermit Washington almost killed Rudy T.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    Like when Kermit Washington almost killed Rudy T.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Fast forward to now and we have Ibaka with zero accuracy throwing punches at Crisss because he has too many sss in his name

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

ya'll forgetting the goat

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post

TLDW; Basically this guy is saying that the hand-check rule and being more physical does not equal tougher/better defense. Compares players' numbers that played during the changes showing that their numbers actually went down when hand-checking was taken out. The cause of their numbers going down most likely being because of the illegal defense rule being taken out.

I thought it was a pretty good video. I'm not gonna lie, though, I barely started watching basketball in 2014-15, and I'm sure you can guess why lol. Anyway, since then I feel I've consumed a lot of basketball and am still learning a lot, but I always heard how the 80-90's were tougher and how players today wouldn't be able to put up the same numbers. Cool to learn about the rule changes. Honestly never knew about illegal defense, and maybe I'm not getting the whole picture, but it seemed really dumb and I feel like I would hate watching old games cause of it.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
    i don't disagree. hand-checking obviously allowed for better individual perimeter defense, anyone who has even played a pickup game knows how much easier it is to check a drive if you can basically continually shove a guy's body away with your forearm vs when you have to rely on just moving your feet. that said only defensive stars like Gary Payton or Bruce Bowen were even allowed to handcheck consistently back when, it was always a foul just not totally outlawed like it is today.

but taking out illegal defense totally revamped the way that side of the floor is played. prior to the change you either played man straight up, or committed to a hard double, there was no other scheme. if the double happens the remaining 3 defenders couldn't even hedge towards the open man or play the passing lanes or an area of the floor without getting called for illegal defense. it was very ooga booga basketball that allowed elite scorers to annihilate their man in isos or make an easy read to a usually wide-open cutter. the Thibbs-style strongside overloads and all its derivatives that continue to be the basis for most good NBA defenses are a hundred times more complicated to navigate.

I thought it was funny in the video when older players like McGrady were saying that they hated the illegal defense rule change cause it didn't allow them to score as easily lol. I mean, yeah, obviously as a scorer that's gonna kill some of your fun, but come on, it being too easy couldn't be fun either.

Also, edited my post to better explain the video. And, I said hand-check rule, but I meant hand-checking.

Basically this guy is saying that hand-checking and being more physical does not equal tougher/better defense. He compares players' numbers that played during the changes showing that their numbers actually went down when hand-checking was taken out, even though older players claimed it would be easier to score in this era. The cause of their numbers going down most likely being because of the illegal defense rule being taken out.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yeah as mentioned, the boston/TT-derived defenses upped the defense game considerably.

it's definitely easier to play without being hand-checked. like imagine there were no hand check rules and you're going up against kawhi? or pippen? or jordan? guys who are/were supreme athletes and masters of theft. shit would be insane. but really that doesn't have a whole lot to do with any shifts in scoring and defense. it's always been the big picture stuff that changed the game over the years.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Nice video explanation, i dont mind this era rules but i think less stuff should be called a foul, mostly cuz Harden, i remember back in the 90s in FIBA was allowed zone defense and that used to confuse NBA players when they played rest of the world.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It would be nice if the NBA actually enforced flopping fines, but that's a pipe dream I never really see happening while some of the biggest names in the game are so well known for being floppers (Harden, LeBron, Embiid to name a few)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

flopping used to be way worse though before they started actually fining for it. glad that it's cleaned up a lot since then.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is the DBF OP ready to change the title of this thread yet?

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

just chiming in to remind yall that the pacers are the third seed in the east, and have a record good enough for the 3 seed out west

the east is T R A S H

BG Level

just a reminder 4 of the 5 worst teams in the NBA are in the East inflating all their win totals

BG Level

just a reminder the 6th 7th and 8th seeds in the East wouldn't make the playoffs in the West even with those inflated win totals

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

omg and the bucks are 51-17 with 9 losses coming from west coast teams

they're not even a .500 team againt the western conference... and they're supposed to be competing for a title?

ARCHI, IS THIS YOUR KING?

BG Level

lost in the meme sauce the Bucks are 17-9 against WC teams, 34-8 against EC

those 3-seed Pacers are 14-10 against the West 30-15 against the East

ain't fair to say it's trash, there's strength in the top teams, but it's unarguably the weaker conference

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

i am the worst at gathering stats. the literal worst

bucks are still trash tho

and its just crazy to me that the pacers are still holding strong. i still think that there is absolutely no way they would contend for home court advantage out west.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    omg and the bucks are 51-17 with 9 losses coming from west coast teams

they're not even a .500 team againt the western conference... and they're supposed to be competing for a title?

ARCHI, IS THIS YOUR KING?
    Have you ever accurately quoted a statistic in your entire life?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Is the DBF OP ready to change the title of this thread yet?
    I stand by my decisions, no regerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    MVP : Anthony Davis
    6MOTY : Rozier
    MIP: Fultz
    COTY : Brad Stevens
    Actually I regret everything.

Pretty sure a mod has to change the title tho, I don't have that kind of power.

At least I didn't have Melo winning a title in all caps in my OP.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Have you ever accurately quoted a statistic in your entire life?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I SAID WHAT I SAID

Closed Thread
Page 46 of 112 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 ... LastLast