Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Akstar will be in the top ranks for literally months when he comes out, especially with his own STMR. It'll be like when Hyoh came out, he'll get power crept a bit here and there, but still be meta, and some of those units will just be enhancements (like Sephiroth or Hyoh himself for example).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think people place too much emphasis on specific units that might have started certain metas in jp. Like will they be top for awhile? Sure. So will units released around the same time too though. Especially with GL changing some releases/glex units helping with that. I've still only pulled one Hyoh and no real regrets because the Kurasame was decently better and came out a month later. Though I do wonder how fast they will "fix" FD Yuffie

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Even Kurasame being better is pretty subjective because if you chain by hand QH chaining is just pretty much out for you. People rely too much on just number crunches to determine how good a character is, and ignore everything else, including how easy a character is to use or fit into their team.

Hell, I'm not even that concerned with Akstar because I've been trying to use role compression to not depend on friend units much. My current party uses Beowulf (chain+break+imperil) and Zarga (chain+full support) with Ignacio (finish+stat buff+imperil) for damage and with Seighard (magic and physical ST and AoE tanking) and LM Fina (healer+reraiser+imperil) is basically completely self sufficient without a 6th unit.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Meta chasing is the most surefire way to not enjoy the game IMO. If anything, I've had more fun dealing with stuff with what I've got, rather than chasing the new shiny, or planning for updates 5+ months out. If it's not happening within the next month or two, I pretty much keep it in the back of my mind, but not play around it.
    I stopped chasing things as well. Now I just attack everything with my Fryevia army. I only flip to something else if there is a huge ice/light resist but even then, unless they are fully resistant I will use Frys out of shear lack of desire to move gear around

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Even Kurasame being better is pretty subjective because if you chain by hand QH chaining is just pretty much out for you

Hell, I'm not even that concerned with Akstar because I've been trying to use role compression to not depend on friend units much. My current party uses Beowulf (chain+break+imperil) and Zarga (chain+full support) with Ignacio (finish+stat buff+imperil) for damage and with Seighard (magic and physical ST and AoE tanking) and LM Fina (healer+reraiser+imperil) is basically completely self sufficient without a 6th unit.
    Not really. I'd get about 50-66% success rate on chaining manually so while more annoying could still pretty easy get it done with not too many resets. Even without that though at least on release (might be different now) Kurasame still did more even with broken chaining unless you got the stmr from vp banner

I will agree role compression is becoming more important though some of that is more than just general roles and sometimes specific things needed so it's really case by case and my parties vary wildly from fight to fight because of it. Heck even used 6* prompto for voke tanking recently on Dark siren/ifrit because had specific move sets I needed. Which oddly is why I want akstar... not for his chain dps jump but for some of the unique things he can do

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Role compression is very nice. It's not super amazing, but I've been using Folka + CG Nichol when able to imbue and imperil water for chainers so I can ignore what element a friend unit has. I still get plenty of use out of my Viktor and Beryl too to handle tanking + chaining, though I occasionally get lazy and just use one of the other tanks. Really wish Beryl had an AT or AR chain so he can have more options in the future, but having CW with mages seemingly being stuck with CW chaining options clear up til current day JP, he'll stay plenty relevant. DR and Octoslash will be hitting the shitter before long, though when KH Cloud gets buffed, I'll have another strong option.

More I look at our exclusives, more I look forward to enhancements and series boss battles. I wonder what broken shit Zarg will get when FFXII's hits. Always the possibility they add multiple batches of enhancements too. JP's current answer for older units is to make the fest summons a norm which removes most of the worst or badly aged 5*s, but with the backlash from the fest, I'd imagine they'll need to do something to make the older 7*s more viable with newer units, not make them top tier, but at least 50-80% as strong. Shits getting bonkers over there with top end units doing 120x~ damage a turn.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Over in JP they don't seem to care about the backlash because whales are spending to get these limited units. They also seem to be moving away from enhancements so either something else is coming up or they're giving up on older units and leaving them to rot.
    I think they mentioned buffing some older TMRs though? Can't be sure.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I wish they'd buff shitty TMR/STMRs... I have a bunnnnch of them.

Also, 2 guaranteed pulls were DKRefia #1, Zargle #6, and Barby #9. Yay another new unit! WTF go away Barb.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I think they mentioned buffing some older TMRs though? Can't be sure.
    Yeah, they mentioned that a while ago and made only one change that I know of. They changed Jiraya's TMR from dual wield katana to dual wield + equip katana.

I hope they don't let them rot. I'm not against there always being a new shiny meta, but having older units at least be capable is important for the livelihood of things IMO. Right now, we're in a good spot, but that'll change over the next 6~ months.

My 10k of spring pulls today weren't bad. 8th Emperor, 8th Loren, 1st Knight Delita, and 1st Sieghardt.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Pulled my first Mustache.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The new units are insane lol, screw Akstar.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sylvie already got nerfed during maintenance. From 100% Elemental Resist (TMR) to 20%. Still insane though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

She's pretty much a must pull, I'm tossing all I have on this banner and then maybe UoC her if needed.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

She definitely looks like she takes the issue of support not always having something to do and turns it on its head. Even with triple cast she can do so much crazy shit that she's going to be VERY busy. And that LB...

And Esther is pretty much the unit that all of this LB damage equipment was meant for...

Edit: My Karlette is ready.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The units are permanent?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yes, they're permanent.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I would guess so since they are on same banner as Xon and Aiden.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Really confused with the new units. They do what Akstar did turned up to an 11. Unless we see GLEX buffs to pretty much everything, units between now and CG main line units will be coming into existence vastly outpowered.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by IceSylph View Post
    Sylvie already got nerfed during maintenance. From 100% Elemental Resist (TMR) to 20%. Still insane though.
    Also got LB fill rate nerfed from 200% to 100% and I think she started with triple cast? Still insane

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    And Esther is pretty much the unit that all of this LB damage equipment was meant for...
    News just in. 1 armed Hobo pre murdered during easter. #calledit

Also I'm running some quick numbers but LB damage equipment/materia might often not be best for her starting on 2nd LB and more so on LBs after (though what's surviving that without a ton of mitigation unless you aren't chaining idk). Also weirdly enough both Ultima weapons look like it might actually good for her (some situations possibly best weapon). If she could equip fixed Dice...

XI was, and will always be, better.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    The Patriarch
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

For the last few months I've bought into the hype of Akstar, and I've saved a horde for release. Currently sitting on 19k lap, 40ish reg tickets, 10 4* tickets, a boatload of Ex tickets. 10+1, two 5+1s and a few 10% 5*s

but listening to all this I'm tempted to go on current banner. To this day I still haven't pulled a Hyoh, TT, A.rain, or alot of the current meta. so off banner rainbows aren't a bad thing for me, but for me I always get the absolutely worst of the worst lol. I could use a much better magic chained (currently only have a 1.8k barb, or a 2.5k Cloud)

so to wait for Akstar, or shoot for new units, that is the question

/e as absurdly broken/awesome these units look off new banner, I don't necessarily need support (have 7* Lid/Nichol) and mainly just need serious DPS / STMR (only have 1 lol)