+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Oh wow that is straight up suburbia. Perfectly designed from 35,000 feet high. Also looks like no such thing as a coach house allowed based on satellite footage. Would have been a nice place for your mom to retire into and still be close.
    ADUs are able to be built with applicable codes, either attached or detached according to my google research. I assume that what's your're talking about. We call them granny flats.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by synistar View Post
    ADUs are able to be built with applicable codes, either attached or detached according to my google research. I assume that what's your're talking about. We call them granny flats.
    Aye thats what I am speaking of. I couldn't see any from satellite view so figured they were not code compliant in that city.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

ADUs are legal everywhere in CA, but just as of like a year ago. That's a definite, perhaps best, add-on option for Ksandra's situation, unless she wants grandma in the house proper for some reason.

But seriously Ksan, I replied to your PM but looking at Zillow right now there's 33 4 bedroom SFHs over 2000 sq ft under 700k in Santa Clarita. Seems like you should be able to find one that works for you, no?

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Don't listen to these morons saying you need 2000 sq ft.
    It must really suck being you guys in CA.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I used to design for high end residential homeowners. I always got a great laugh when we would design rooms that would realistically never be used because the client asked for it, or excessively massive spaces that looked god awful when furniture was actually installed and left a lot open.

Get what is right for your living needs, and don't fill to excess just because you think you should. An empty room wants to be filled with shit from IKEA.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Redesign the master bathroom of my new house please.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Redesign the master bathroom of my new house please.
    Cancel culture doesn't let us use the word "master" anymore.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Cancel culture doesn't let us use the word "master" anymore.
    Redesign the slave owner bedroom in my new house please.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Redesign the slave owner bedroom in my new house please.
    I got you.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

My b I meant bathroom lol. How hard is it to move a toilet/shower somewhere else like 5-10 feet from where they are.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Depends. Are you moving it along the wet wall or to a different wall. Plumbing is the only thing holding you back (drainage lines need enough slope to gravity feed to your main stack).

BG Level

My b I meant bathroom lol. How hard is it to move a toilet/shower somewhere else like 5-10 feet from where they are.
    I mean

Very, as far as renovations go

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Probably the same wall. It's a French door opening to a sink and vanity, to the left is a doorway with a tight toilet and stall shower all ok the same side to the right is a doorway to a walk in closet. I need a bigger shower. Gonna cost a ton cause I won't be diy'ing. Need a designer probably.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ok guys, I wanted to give you an update and ask a couple questions to help decide on something.

We saw 3 and 4 today, and based on that and some feedback you guys gave us, we were comfortable passing on 1. I liked both 3 and 4 but realized they weren’t for us. I don’t think I want to go as high as 4’s price/size. I have never lived in homes that intense, and they just aren’t for me. As someone said, it feels like a lot of extra space I’ll just fill with crap. Living in a 1200 sq. ft. home (and even smaller apartments for 10 years prior to that), has made me live a very Maria Kondo kinda life I guess. I keep seeing these things and thinking, “Why do I need 2 dining tables again?” I remember my mom having that and we used the second one like once every five years. My in-laws have that and the 2nd table is just storage space to them. I just don’t see the need for all this space, and that extra money due to higher cost could go towards vacations and such.

As for 3, the size was ok. I misspoke above and it was 1400 sq. ft. Would have liked it slightly bigger. Yard was too tiny for me. Biggest killer for my husband is they added some cabinets to the garage in such a way that we really don’t think two cars would fit. But it made us realize that the price range is our target.

With that being said this afternoon a challenger appeared! We see it on Friday.

This new home is 100 sq.ft. bigger than 3, but they added an enclosed porch area which is not included in the square footage. The yard is as big as 1 was. It includes a built in bbq and an already built above ground pool (something I was planning on installing). And, much to my husband’s chagrin, something I didn’t know I needed in my life, and I need in my life: an RV hookup. Note: I do not have an RV, but I want one. My parents had one. I figure I’ll wear him down enough by the time we retire. (Before people take this too seriously, no I don’t need an RV hookup. I am not gonna buy this or any home with it in mind. I just like to tease my husband, and yes, if I can wear him down I will. This is just a funny bonus to me.)

Anyways, I am posting a couple pictures because I have two questions I think you guys can help me with. The kitchen is big, but it sacrifices the space for the dining table. The wall between the kitchen and the living room extends past the counter. I am thinking we could have part of that wall removed to open up the area more and make room for a bigger table. Pictures:

Do you think this is possible for a contractor to do, or is there going to be a support beam that messes it up? Guesses on cost to do it?

Second question is about the enclosed addition. It’s a sun room per the description, and the roof almost looks like a shed roof. What do you think it would cost to sort of make it more solid a space (better roof, etc.) and have it insulated/ventilated so we can keep it cool? Picture:

Due to its cost, we could easily put in 20k off the bat, and more as time went on. Here’s an picture of the lot if you’re curious:

BG Level

Hard to say for sure but I think that wall you want to remove is under the peak of your roofline, so it's probably load-bearing. They'd need to add a beam. Not impossible, but more expensive.

BG Level

Also damn you didn't take any of my advice eh? Guess you really want that 4th bedroom. Anyway new house looks promising.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Also damn you didn't take any of my advice eh? Guess you really want that 4th bedroom. Anyway new house looks promising.
    Nah I did, it’s just once I saw #3 today I think the bedroom sizes will be fine. I’m of the policy a bedroom is for sleeping and not much else. I never had a tv etc. in my room growing up. The rooms seem to be the same size as the bedrooms in my mom’s place.

Also as a note, my daughter has a loft bed, and we’ll be getting one for my son, too, and that adds more space.

I just got really, and I mean really giddy about seeing the photos on this one. It’s the first time from all I’ve seen online.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

That new one looks nice. Hard to say if that wall is load bearing or not without looking at the drawings. I would check with local building department and make sure that you would be allowed to enclose that sun room. If the lot has already reached its allowable SF then fully enclosing the space may require a zoning variance (since you say it isn't counted right now).

As for the work involved, it's probably a lot. Roof may need to be entirely replaced just to get some good insulation value if that is just a metal tin roof.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

100% chance that wall is load bearing.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ok so looking it up, the load bearing wall would cost about $3k to remove (maybe slightly less since we wouldn’t remove the whole wall, just about 1/4 of it). Good to know, we’ll definitely put this into consideration.

As a note we are seeing that home and three others tomorrow. 2 popped up today that are promising. Keep your fingers crossed about one of them. It’s 1. closer to the area we would ideally want to be in. 2. In the comfortable price range instead of the high end. 3. 1900 sq. ft. 4 bedroom 2-story home, but only 5000 sq.ft. lot. 4. Possible small bonus but not required, already has solar panels. I don’t know the balance yet but we were planning on getting them, so it if saves us a little, great! Unfortunately, no pictures yet, but that’s because it doesn’t start showing until tomorrow. That seems to happen a lot.

Other home is 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom but has two living rooms, and one looks like would be insanely easy to make into a bedroom. So smaller but it’s on a 7700 sq. Ft. Lot which is the biggest lot we’ve seen to date. So I want to see if it’s worth getting and maybe even adding an extension. This one is also closed to the area we ideally would live in.

It sucks but the pool one literally has everything I want accept one thing...it’s far from the freeway. I estimate it will take me 45-50 min to get to work once we go back. So I really have to look at it and decide if the home is worth the distance.

I also have to keep reminding myself that an above ground pool is about 3k-5k and it’s not necessary to have a hone with one already.

Ugh, most people love this part. I hate it guys, lol. So stressful. ;_;

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag