+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't fuck with gas or electricity. I pay the pros and let them charge me whatever they want.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

ditto, aside from the earlier exception for simple electrical like fixtures, switches, and outlets.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

New fridge came in. Didn't fit. The sides are bowed out about half an inch each and it's defective so a replacement is on the way. In the meantime I'm widening the opening and destroying the cabinets and going to make it fit in case the next one has an issue.

We opted to do a new dishwasher too and after ordering both fridge and dishwasher the washing machine broke. So now I have a new washer and dryer on the way because fuck it. Like 7k in appliances don't even care let's do it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Had some very old rusted ourdoor gas line pipe that feeds a fireplace on the ranch and basement levels repaired recently. Old valve was rusted and not closing tight, hence the leak.

They've repaired it, and didn't charge me as much as they initially quoted and it looks like quality work. A good 6-8 feet of excessive pipe, however, snakes along underneath my deck between the two floors that they did not change out.

I don't normally get into the weeds with electrical or gas work, but at face value this just looks like changing a connector hose and making sure the connectors are sealed, right? Can I simply buy new (maybe even flexible?) gas line and do that myself without worry?
    Speaking as a Journeyman Plumber as well as a Journeyman Gas Fitter, I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you have training in it, small mistakes can lead to big consequences unfortunately built a house a couple years back and just down the road a guy had added a gas barbecue outlet just off his gas meter, turned out he didn't do standard things like backing up the fittings so when you tighten a nipple or another fitting on it doesn't twist things further down the spool.

He ended up cracking the threads on a nipple just inside the house, leaked all night and when they turned on the lights on the main floor in the morning it blew the entire side of the house off, right into the neighbours house, wife lived cause she was out of town

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

When I worked at a hardware store we sold and delivered Weber grills. Sometimes customers got the natural gas hookup. When we dropped it off they insisted we install the gas line. We gave them our spiel that we are not responsible due to explosions and I'm just a fucking teenager get a plumber.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Well, the gas issue kind of fixed itself. Repairing the old pipe "fixed" a small leak in the ceramic logs in the fireplace where it was leaking even when off, so its just all shut off for now. It can burn wood, so we may just wait until later to fix anything else.

Starting to turn my attention to finishing media room. Mounting my projector screen is off on one of the studs by about 2 inches. Can I just bridge two studs on the unfinished side with a 2x4 or 4x4 piece of wood? Would deck screws suffice, or should I opt to drilling for a nut + bolt? I was thinking 3 deck screws on each side of the wood bridge.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

You can definitely put some 2x blocking in there. Deck screws are fine, but you can do just regular wood screws which might be cheaper. Deck screws are typically coated or stainless steel. 10D nails work, too. I think that's the right size.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Deck screws would be plenty.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Our walls are made of stone so we've been letting the cats out since they can't climb them. We have one area we don't want them to go past. It's the small side of the house where our trashcans are stored. We worry they can jump onto the cans then over the wall.

We started with a water bottle and it works as a reactive approach, but doesn't actually stop them from going there meaning we always have to stand in that spot when they're out.

Bought a sensor that is supposed to make a sound humans can't hear to scare off the cats if it senses movement. Unfortunately we can't seem tp place it in a place that both a. gets enough sun to keep it charged and b. is in the spot we want them to avoid.

I have now ordered some rubber mats with rubber spikes on them figuring we can move the mats when we go that way and place them to keep the cats at bay.

Any other suggestions if the mats don't work?

Note: Area is concrete so can't stick things into the ground very well.

Cats seem much happier being able to go outdoors so we'd like to keep doing it if we can. Also this area has a huge coyote problem, so they're allowed out when we're out, but they definitely need to stay in our yard only during the daytime and we bring them in when we go inside.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I see you've used the tried and true method of throwing a water bottle at them. I'm fresh out of ideas.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    I see you've used the tried and true method of throwing a water bottle at them. I'm fresh out of ideas.
    I’ve thrown away so many perfectly good water bottles that miss and explode.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

are you in drought conditions/water rationing? if not, grab yourself a yard sprinkler and turn it on while you're outside.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    are you in drought conditions/water rationing? if not, grab yourself a yard sprinkler and turn it on while you're outside.
    That's a good idea. I gotta get one that doesn't move. Thanks!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Slowly upgrading the house and wanted to see your opinions on stoves. The current one is gas and is just too hot. Everything cooks way faster in the oven than it should, so I always have to set the temp much lower than it’s supposed to be. It’s an easy fix, but I ran into an issue that is a hassle. The burners are so hot even on the lowest setting, I can’t let something simmer without it burning the bottom. Looking into possibly getting a double oven stove, but I am torn between getting another gas one or an electric. Pros/cons? I’ve had a gas one for about ten years but I grew up with an electric. Some things to consider:

A. We will get a Whirlpool either way as I am making all my appliances match.
    B. We just got solar panels installed that covers our entire electric bill. Dunno if an electric would cause us to pay more or less.
    C. Gas always makes me nervous about leaks, but maybe I am over panicking about that.
    D. I am not a great cook, but I have improved a lot over the years, so I want something that will support me getting better rather than being a hinderance.
    E. Also considering getting just a single oven and then getting another one down the line for the garage or outside. Thoughts on that?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

If you are willing to get new pans, get an induction electric stove.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    If you are willing to get new pans, get an induction electric stove.
    That’s actually on my list (new pans). I want to switch to steel. I’ve had a set of teflon for ten years and I hate them (was a wedding gift so wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth). Somehow a pot is dented (the fuck?) so I figured that was the sign I can justify getting new ones.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    B. We just got solar panels installed that covers our entire electric bill.
    fuck youuuuuuu i'm jelly

personally, my wife and i prefer electric. electric doesn't turn into a bomb if you forget to turn it off. It's not a major concern, really, but it's enough. i'd say if you can afford to do the double oven now, do it now. going back and remodeling it in later is going to be a bigger PITA than just one and done... and if you're doing a big meal, do you really want to be running out to the garage every 20 minutes to check on your food? if you really have a need for an oven in the garage/outdoors, you can always do that down the line in addition to your double in the kitchen. I'd be more inclined to do a smoker or something than a third oven.

when you're picking out ovens, don't skimp on size. our current oven is so small that it can barely handle larger pizzas, so my wife is very limited on what she can cook in there. especially since some of her pans don't actually fit in the oven. i'm sure you'll pay a premium for the extra space, but honestly ovens are one of those things i think are worth the money. even if you're not a gourmand and just doing tendies and frozen pizzas, youre still going to be using your oven very often.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Good point and thanks! I definitely would want to get the biggest that fits between the counter. They have some5-burner ones (currently have 4) that look really nice. For sure I told my husband that if we end up getting a gas one we 100% have to switch to electric once we are 60 and forgetful. I need to look into the cost of installing an outlet.

As for solar, if you live in a sunny area and own, don’t wait and start looking. Our average electric bill is $250 a month. Our solar loan is $145 with zero down for 15 years and a 25 year warranty. Our electric company requires us to pay $16 a month for being connected, but still means we save money. We could have gotten it cheaper, too, but we plan on installing a pool with a heater so we got enough panels to cover it.

I should note we are paying about $3k to get an upgraded electrical panel and permits, but if we had gotten a loan for that (we didn’t need to, but some people might) we’d still be saving money.

FYI the fed tax credit for 2020 is 26 percent. Next year it’s 22%. Then in 2022 it’s gone.

That saved me $7k. Def don’t wait if you can save money on it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i wish we could, but it's just not feasible for this house. we're in a valley, on a west-facing slope, with lots of tall trees completely surrounding the house. the roof and parts of the lot get some sun, but not enough to be worth the up front costs. we looked into it a few years ago. plus, honestly, we're hoping to move out of this house in a few years, so we're really only wanting to do absolute minimum remodeling.

might be worth it for my parents, though. their house is a former church and therefore towers over the whole neighborhood. But they're far enough north the axial tilt of the earth may be a factor, and I'm sure install cost is higher on a building that tall. and they do also have the duluth heights to their west, which would impact their intake. anyway, i'll mention it to them.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Um, what are you all nuts? Get a fucking gas stove.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag