+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
    Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Skilled masons in the Chicago region run about 1200 a day for union labor. 2000 seems high to me, but regional pricing may differ.

I would yolo it, get a cutter, practice on a bunch of scrap, and go for it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Dumb question. Step mother didn't remove a rug from the lower deck of the house my brother and I are trying to sell all through the rain season, so it has a stain I want to try to scrub out. What's the best way to remove that kind of stain from a deck without a power washer?
    What kind of deck is it?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Wood. Never made it up there today because my brother is a fucking moron. He said he'd finish having the house ready to sell, which I assume means getting rid of that stain, but stillay have to go up there next weekend to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Some people would tell you to try wood bleach but it seems pretty unlikely to work. It will probably always be miscolored and just a bit lighter if you bleach it.

How about putting the rug back while showing the house? lol

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh that rug is long gone. If we left it there, with how wet it was (mountain region so snow and rain) it probably would have spread mildew and mold.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Oh that rug is long gone. If we left it there, with how wet it was (mountain region so snow and rain) it probably would have spread mildew and mold.

If it's bad enough sanding and refinishing it is the only real option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Lots of work being done in my backyard. Smoothest part that’s happened so far is getting pavers put in. (Was concrete)

Absolutely love the look.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Ksan can't wait to see some before and afters! Glad it's working out! We can photoshop out the pool later

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Lol I will probably not share the pool at any point. I was mocked enough for it. XD

Pool area going to be forever to take care of anyway. The pavers are the only good people I seemed to have had throughout this whole experience. Shit I had to, and mostly still dealing with:

1. Landscape Design was to include a gate. Still waiting on said gate and designer has gone through 3 assistants in this, making me take forever to try and track down the person about said gate.

2. Landscaper was told several times we were to need outlets for a pool, pool heater, and jacuzzi in an area. He initially only gave 2 outlets. Had to have them come back in, and you have no idea how many times they asked for the model of the heater and I gave it to them. Today the electrician came to install the pump...the line they gave isn't strong enough for it...so now he has to run a new wire.

3. Raised bed that was removed was supposed to be leveled. They took all the extra dirt and created a "platform" where the pool would go. Kept saying I don't need that dirt there and that the whole bed area was supposed to be leveled (other area was where the swing set goes.) Guys kept insisting "oh that's what the pool people will do," but I'm like "yes, but then I am paying the pool people twice, and they aren't going to level where the swing set is." Turns out pool people had to charge extra to remove all that dirt.

4. Pool people put one of the rim pieces on top backwards, so we need to fix it.

5. Pool people threw away part of the stairs, and we found it in the trash. (Small part, but it's the part you put a string on to pull and open the lock. Like why??)

6. Pool people kinda just threw the gravel around the pool and looks messy as shit. Easy fix, but will take time, as I have a million other things to do right now.

7. All that work has basically taken the grass to shit, and there are a lot of dirt spots that need grass added. Everyone wants to charge $4k for it, and at this point I don't want to spend a penny more than I have to, so we are going to do the grass ourselves, but of course, this will also take time.

Some of that stuff isn't happening until June once I am on summer vacation. Ugh.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Upside of it all is a. the pavers are awesome and b. we got to use the pool this weekend and it was still warm enough to use even without the heater (though it could be warmer!), and it was amazing. I could do laps, we had floaties. I got my kids a floating golf thingie that they had fun with. It was awesome.

Like I know you all like to give me shit about this, but we simply would not have been able to afford an inground AND it would have ended up being smaller due to the concrete surrounding needed. But I am so thankful we did this because we are going to get to swim every day, and that is so awesome to me, and something I used to get to do when growing up, now my kids can, too.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

As for us, since sis died; we had to get a major repair done. The drain lines here are from when the house was actually built (cast iron) and we had the washer back up. Again.

So we traced it to the drainpipe, and got enough of it replaced that we don't have to worry about the washer, but we'll have to rep the rest of it sooner or later considering. Yuck. (Even using PVC, it's like a very expensive repair, like 1k or more.)

The other thing which I think will be a DIY; we need to rep the kitchen faucet. (It leaks.) Any suggestions on good brands we could find at Lowe's or Home Depot, guys?

Ridill
    BG Level

Bought a house last week, spent this weekend painting a bunch. Previous owner rented a water softener and decided to rent it for a short period before I decide if/when to buy my own. I just randomly checked it-hadnt really thought about it or anything. Kinda completely forgot about it honestly. This is what it looks like;
    Spoiler: show

Which definitely didn't look right when I saw it and then when I googled what it should look like. Guess I gotta try and get that rental company in here sometime soon.

P.s. I hate painting.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Alright, so we are getting heavy rain and now I have a version of the in-ground pool that Ksandra didn't get in my backyard.

Surface drainage is crap, but I live on a hill. If I dig basically straight down maybe 6-8 feet at the lowest point in my yard, line it with semipermeable membrane, and fill it with stones, would this possibly provide drainage? If there is already a term for a vertical french drain, what is that term?

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Drywell. Basically a vertical column of stone.

May work depending on how well they water percs through the soil and what your subbase is. You can pay someone to do a perc test, they're normally done for septic systems. Basically they dig a few test pits and fill them with water to see how quickly they drain.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Trying to mount something on studs in my kitchen. I have one stud confirmed. Getting 4 different readings for the others that are certainly neither 16 or 24 inches apart. One is 12, one 18, one is 21, and one is 30 from the original confirmed stud. 2 different stud finders are giving me the same readings across the board. The 18 one from the original stud is also giving me electric readings and I cannot use the 30 stud because its too far out.

There is no reason for any pipes to be in section of wall. No real wires either even though I am getting an electric reading on the 18 mark. Only thing above me is attic and below me is basement.

What else can I do sans drilling into the wall and risk hitting a pipe or wires to see if there is a real stud there or not?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

You can use ground penetrating radar. Otherwise old fashioned "nail it til you nail it" would suffice. Extremely unlikely you'll hit electrical wire or conduit.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Seconding nailing it. Just test it with a nail. If you meet resistance beyond the little that drywall gives, you likely found your stud.

Studs in my house are all over the place. A combination of the house being built in the 50s with true timbers, and the subsequent work the previous owners did not seeming to coincide with any real building standards. Sometimes shit isn't where it's supposed to be.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Went all through the attic and unfinished part of the basement measuring studs. All 16.

First hole drilled (tiny bit) 16 inches from where the stud should be...there it was. 2 stud finders said no. Went and did a cocaine line of other test holes just to be sure. Sure enough, studs every 16 that the finder said "no way jose". Returning this $50 piece of junk.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Stud finders rely on sound penetration, so substrates that are too thick (like plaster and lath) are difficult for them to find studs. Weird that it was hitting other studs just fine.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Both my houses have had plaster walls, and studfinders were all but useless through them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag