+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

So the mystery of our gas water heater continues.

The pilot light won't stay lit for more than 2-3 seconds. Most of the internet is telling me this sounds like a thermocouple issue and some steel wool can fix it. Has anyone cleaned these before, and how difficult is it? Would like to save for the cost of a plumber service call right now just because a lot of this smaller sutff is adding up quick and if I can learn how to do it myself all the better.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sounds like some bullshit being broken on the millennium falcon and that's why they can't make it to hyper speed lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Sounds like some bullshit being broken on the millennium falcon and that's why they can't make it to hyper speed lol.

The hydrospanners didn't work.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    So the mystery of our gas water heater continues.

The pilot light won't stay lit for more than 2-3 seconds. Most of the internet is telling me this sounds like a thermocouple issue and some steel wool can fix it. Has anyone cleaned these before, and how difficult is it? Would like to save for the cost of a plumber service call right now just because a lot of this smaller sutff is adding up quick and if I can learn how to do it myself all the better.
    Had to do that with the heater in our last house. Wasn't hard with my heater...just undo the two screws that held it in place, detach cable, remove, scrub, then replace. Best results achieved when paying extra attention to the tip. Giggity. Your mileage may vary, based on the heater and how annoying it is to remove the thermocouple.

Luckily so long as you're careful it's not gonna hurt to try. Be sure to turn off power, etc, before starting and you'll know in like 10 minutes if it corrects your problem. Be forewarned though that I had to do this annually once the bad behavior started. Still cheaper than a replacement part, just a bit tedious.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Ok so to piggyback on my random fail post...

The receptacle in my well pit corroded and somewhere along the cable it seems it went dead. I had an electrician come in to give me a quote to replace the cable, receptacle, and put in a 220 breaker rather than the 110 the thing is on.

They're asking 1200 to get the job done, which seems ridiculous to me. It's about 55' of cable with the conduit already in place that runs out to the pit. The cable runs out the floor in the crawl space under the house and into the basement. There are no penetrations they need to make. I guess the bulk of the price is getting the 220 feed?

I've been trying to get my cousin to help me out as he's an electrician, but so far no dice. Any of you guys have an opinion on the price? I don't want to go around getting estimates if I don't have to because most of the people in the area charge for the estimate, so I'd be out about $600 just getting three estimates.

I thought about doing it myself, but I haven't done anything involving upgrading a circuit to 220V. If I was just running a new cable and receptacle out there I wouldn't have a second thought about doing it myself.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    upgrading a circuit to 220V
    The three things that can kill you in your house are the electrical, the garage door opener, and your spouse.

I'd be super cautious doing anything, especially near water (well pit?) and anything higher than 120V. Also, running cables in a tight space sucks quite a bit. Also 220V does indeed cost more than 120V. I would have to see your setup, but it doesn't seem insane. Assume something like $100 an hour for wage costs to the place for a roughly 6 hour job. Another $600 for parts and the "hazard" element. Seems in the ballpark.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Yeah, my main thing is I don't know the costs associated with the upgraded voltage. I've done electrical work before, so that's not my hang up, but I am finding it hard to justify 6-8 hours of labor to run 30' of cable in a crawl space, 5' of cable in the basement, 18' of cable through an existing conduit, and a bit extra to a receptacle in the pit. Although I'd probably mount a new receptacle because some janky shit is going on there.

I've got some pictures, but I didn't take any of the crawlspace. It's dirty, but it at least has a vapor barrier on the ground and get's higher as you move towards the basement.

Box:

Basement/conduit:

Well pit:

The pit is fairly dry since we've had no rain recently.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Since the quoted price was 'only' like a grand, I'm assuming your breaker panel is already set up with a 220V service, otherwise I would expect something at least double what was quoted. Probably already there for your dryer or something. So you will likely need at a minimum a new breaker, the lines run, and a new outlet. Parts isn't whats killing you, it will be labor and I'm sure the "yuck I'm working in someones dirty ass basement" factor. Keep in mind too, if they are doing this small job for you, that likely kills the rest of their day, which may influence their pricing. Not sure, every place is different.

Still, the number isn't insane, and I would guess you will lose more money getting quotes if they are costing you like 200ish each. Just make sure the guy has bonding (insurance) so that just in case your house goes up in flames from a shitty job, you are all covered.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

It makes me feel a little better at least, thanks.

I wasn't thinking about the lost day shit, so you got me there. I mean I think it should be a half day worst case, but I'm just going on my own experience.

That box should be set up for 220V already, yeah. It also feeds a secondary box in the closet that runs out to the garage (that's the 100 amp box marking on the lower left).

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

That quote doesn't sound outlandish to me for a span that long.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Ya. That's reasonable. It might actually be a 3-4 hour job, but any good tradesman knows to always overestimate because 90% of the time you run into a wtf moment with something and it eats up extra time/materials.

It's electrical. Do you really want to have Jim Bob and the gang do it for a few hundred bucks or get a professional?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I want a professional, but was honestly hoping my cousin would do it for less for me. He's actually an electrician so he'd do it correctly as well.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Anyone have experience with using protective glass film, like from 3M, on entrance doors?

I'm wanting to cover some window panes on a back basement door and back porch door specifically to stop someone from breaking the glass and unlocking the deadbolt without replacing the door itself or the locks.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Anyone have experience with using protective glass film, like from 3M, on entrance doors?

I'm wanting to cover some window panes on a back basement door and back porch door specifically to stop someone from breaking the glass and unlocking the deadbolt without replacing the door itself or the locks.
    I would not consider that to work as intended. It's meant to prevent the glass from shattering, but someone trying to break it can damage the glass enough to remove it from the frame and still get in - depending on how determined they are. It might deter a less motivated home intruder, though.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Long shot, but does anyone on BG have real estate law experience? In Alaska, I need to write an answer to a service notice from my HOA, and I have been turned down for assistance without a 10k retainer, even though my city government officials say I have a strong case. HOA wants $65k for water damage from a leak I tried to prevent, they wouldn't give me the info I needed, and the water cutoff was under a neighbor's house. Which I didn't find out until they sent in emergency contracters to stop the leak. Info such as where the cutoff was (they had shut it off for the previous owners due to a leak the year before I moved in), who my board members are, who the owner of the neighbor unit is so I could reach them since they live out of state and rent out the unit, or what the regulations for the HOA were at any point since closing on the house (was there 3 years, depending on if I asked in writing or not they said the rules didn't exist in a form that could be read and were interpreted as needed, or that I needed to pay around $200 for a printed or digital copy) And they changed the locks on the house after I gave them reliable entry for the contractors, locking my realtor out and his keybox inside the house, their contractors made all appliances in the house disappear (sounds like top floor as well even though water only damaged ground floor), and ran up an $1100 electric bill in March, even though the house was averaging $30-40 a month in electricity the previous 15 months, and they did work in January.

First house, first HOA. Got this because my previous rental was sold out from under me, landlord gave 10 days verbal notice we had to move out, attorney then said it would cost my down payment to win the fight and get 30 more days in the unit if the landlord fought the case. I only had 3 choices of house from my realtor at the time and only this one had internet service available to it.

Leak happened January, about 1030 at night, HOA couldn't get contractors there until 8 am next morning. Ground floor of mine and neighbor's units down to floorboards and all drywall removed. Late September, Wells Fargo put bright red notice on front door, HOA probably would have noticed, saying they were going to change locks and winterize house. They didn't by October, so I started hunting under and outside house for water shutoff. I took pictures of everywhere I searched, showed them to friends and coworkers with plumbing experience to try to see if I just didn't know what I was looking for. Nobody could spot the shutoff. I called the waste and water utility to ask, their jurisdiction ended at the two shutoffs to the HOA, so they would have to shut off water to half the HOA, so they refused, understandably. Called the HOA management company, they refused to give any info, not even that it wasn't accessible from my house.

BG Level

Doesn't your homeowners insurance cover this water damage anyway?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Nope, they refused since the leak was preventable and I didn't take appropriate measures, according to them. Gas was shut off due to financial difficulty from wife being unable to work after we closed on the house, and me being unemployed for 8 months of 2017, and they wanted 6 months deposit of average annual usage plus the overdue amount to turn it back on. Plumber wanted a similar amount to come on-site, and would have been money wasted since they wouldn't have had access to shut it off anyway, given the location of the shutoff. I had already burned the annual heating assistance fund the previous winter, 12 months hadn't passed yet, so they wouldn't fund me getting it turned back on. House had been up for sale for a year at that point. Wells Fargo is in the middle of a deed-in-lieu process right now and the HOA just slapped me, the wife, and Wells Fargo with this service. Funny, the HOA wouldn't talk to my wife since she wasn't on the mortgage and thus the deed because of damage to her credit from her parents stealing her identity twice and racking up debts that we only found out about trying to buy the house, but they want to sue her now as being an owner of the property, and she has no income due to her medical condition.

BG Level

that's all above my pay grade, good luck

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

My real estate law experience is limited to my first home purchase. Found a house we liked, checked the model, looked at the plans, picked all our options, and signed off to start construction. Shortly after the framing and roofing was done the wife and I snuck in to look around and found out that the floor plan being built was different. Builder said tough shit, you signed off to build. Called a real estate attorney that I loved immediately. "I'm a bitch, but I'm your bitch. I'll get this fixed in 10 minutes, no charge so long as you hire me for your next purchase." True to her word I got a call from the builder himself asking politely how he could fix the situation. Got every penny back, have used the same lawyer for anything real estate related for the last two decades. Definitely get a good lawyer.

That said, my completely untrained opinion says if the water shut off to your home is not actually in your home I don't know how they could possibly hold you responsible. Especially if you have proof of your attempts to try and get it shut off despite not having the actual shutoff in your residence (which has to be a building code violation).

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

This all sounds like you need a lawyer, because everyone else is assuming they can do you over cause you dont have one. I'd keep calling lawyers and see if you can find one who would work pro bono until you get insurance money paid out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag