+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast
    Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I'm sensing that the pool will end up putting that raised garden #2 in constant shadow. I think you are going to need to make a compromise with the pool or bed #2.

I'm not familiar with seismic design because Chicago is flat and far from active fault lines

Edit: Oh you're getting rid of #2 and trying to decide what to do with #1. Honestly just keep it. It's more hassle to raise it again later especially with a pool in the way. You could extend it along the other wall a little and maybe make a curved form that follows the pool's shape. That way you could save some of the apricot trees.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Jesus fucking Christ if that chart is to scale and you really have all that space after installing a pool than I'm doubling down on get an inground pool. Don't destroy that beautiful spaceeeeee

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    I'm sensing that the pool will end up putting that raised garden #2 in constant shadow. I think you are going to need to make a compromise with the pool or bed #2.

I'm not familiar with seismic design because Chicago is flat and far from active fault lines

Edit: Oh you're getting rid of #2 and trying to decide what to do with #1. Honestly just keep it. It's more hassle to raise it again later especially with a pool in the way. You could extend it along the other wall a little and maybe make a curved form that follows the pool's shape. That way you could save some of the apricot trees.
    Yeah the issues is what to do with #1. That does make sense, and I do like the idea of a curved line, but I worry that'll still take up too much space. I kinda worry about kids bumping into the corner if it's a straight rectangle. Do you think it would look ok if I ask them to make the corner rounded?

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ if that chart is to scale and you really have all that space after installing a pool than I'm doubling down on get an inground pool. Don't destroy that beautiful spaceeeeee

It's not "to scale" perfectly, but it's pretty close. I kinda messed up on the vertical distance in the image. Above ground pool will be 12"X24". Google tells me a typical inground is 18" by 36". That's like, the whole yard.

It's tiny as shit compared to most yards in the country, but pretty decent for CA sizes. It, iirc, was the 2nd biggest lot size we could bid on through our shopping journey.

One minor thing that set it off is a. we have a sing story so that means the house is taking up more land space. b. The front yard is slightly larger than some of the other homes we saw, which makes the backyard smaller in comparison.

If we get another stimulus check my hubby agreed I can put a swingset in the front yard. Apparently everyone's been doing it during quarantine, so I can, too!

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Yeah the issues is what to do with #1. That does make sense, and I do like the idea of a curved line, but I worry that'll still take up too much space. I kinda worry about kids bumping into the corner if it's a straight rectangle. Do you think it would look ok if I ask them to make the corner rounded?

It's not "to scale" perfectly, but it's pretty close. I kinda messed up on the vertical distance in the image. Above ground pool will be 12"X24". Google tells me a typical inground is 18" by 36". That's like, the whole yard.

It's tiny as shit compared to most yards in the country, but pretty decent for CA sizes. It, iirc, was the 2nd biggest lot size we could bid on through our shopping journey.

One minor thing that set it off is a. we have a sing story so that means the house is taking up more land space. b. The front yard is slightly larger than some of the other homes we saw, which makes the backyard smaller in comparison.

If we get another stimulus check my hubby agreed I can put a swingset in the front yard. Apparently everyone's been doing it during quarantine, so I can, too!
    I think you are getting too fixated on how much usable space will be taken up by that garden. You already mentioned you have a large front yard, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Double down on the backyard and make it a place for relaxation. Im getting dinner so I'm keeping this short. Might be back to elaborate.

Also use an apostrophe and not quotation marks when designating feet. Unless the pool is really 12 in by 24 in.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Yeah sorry, I had just woken up from a nap when I posted. I meant '.

I am not worried about the space of the raised bed #1. I am worried about the look and whether someone would get hurt on it. I want it to look normal, and I am not sure if it does or not.

No need to get snarky about the space issue. "Larger front yard" doesn't mean "large." I just meant it makes the backyard smaller. Of course I want as much space as I can out of the place. I got it so my kids can play.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora View Post
    what are home improvements that more reliably add value?

we just bought windows (17k USD) for a March install date; we're upgrading from original 1976 aluminum windows. i'm still kinda scared about it all but hopefully we love them and add nice value to the home
    Windows are generally pretty good- HVAC savings are universally appreciated. Updating kitchen/bathrooms is also generally pretty good for your value, from what I've heard. Roof can be if the old roof is shit. Basically, anything that is essential to the house's ability to function as a home is a pretty solid bet for ROI. Pools are not essential to home function, which is why they add little or nothing to value. Not everyone wants a pool. Everyone wants a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Yeah sorry, I had just woken up from a nap when I posted. I meant '.

I am not worried about the space of the raised bed #1. I am worried about the look and whether someone would get hurt on it. I want it to look normal, and I am not sure if it does or not.

No need to get snarky about the space issue. "Larger front yard" doesn't mean "large." I just meant it makes the backyard smaller. Of course I want as much space as I can out of the place. I got it so my kids can play.
    Having read all your additional posts, I stand by my first response. I say take the flower bed out. Personally, I am not a fan of block-walled flower beds. I think they're boring, installed by people with more money than taste. Give me a nice wooden-beamed raised bed, or a natural-rock barrier around a level bed. Likewise, I'm not a fan of straight-lined flowerbeds. If you're doing a vegetable garden or something, sure. But if one goal is to be aesthetically pleasing, natural curves are better. Even when you're stuck inside a square yard.

Besides, if you're wanting to do a vegetable garden, you're going to need to place your garden in accordance with your plants' needs- full sun, partial sun, etc. That corner might not meet the needs of the plants you're wanting to do. Better to have the bed out now, and then put it back in prettier later, than be stuck with it.

and, seeing more of the yard, i think the focus is going to change so drastically that that tiny little corner bed is going to feel like an out-of-place afterthought.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

If you want to plant a garden for real, the wall needs to come down. Too much shade, etc. Consider a trellis, or fruiting bushes to border your property instead.

At the very least the bottom level tier should go for the gardens sake, unless you plan on planting herbs on that tier.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Spent ~5k having the entire downstairs repainted, caulked, brown moulding trim and doors sanded and painted white as well as a bedroom and the stairwell. Spent the weekend replacing about 30 outlets and 15+ light switches, vent registers and returns.

Put in the deposit for getting our garage doors replaced and new motors put in, another 3k going there.

Then we get to take a break prob till the summer. Found out this morning we're getting bonuses at work even though we're being laid off in May, makes no sense but that plus a stimulus will be really nice.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

We had an AFCI breaker go tonight while we were out with only lights plugged in and nothing on for that breaker.

The internet seems split between "legally this is very important" and "real talk these things blow all the time for no apparent reason"

What do you guys do when one blows?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Just once? Probably nbd. Happens a few times in a week? check the outlets in that room. It's not a gfi outlet?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

No gfci outlets in the rooms associated with the breaker. Looks like when they redid the basement it was after 2002 so they had to use an afci breaker in the box. Breaker controls the basement stairs light, 2 light fixtures in the rooms, and half a dozen normie outlets that had nothing plugged into them. We don't know when it blew (either when my wife flipped the switch to the stair light or when literally nothing was on). Our lights are LED bulbs.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Could just be one of those rare moments, and with nothing big on those lines drawing power I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

Like, even a roach crawling into an outlet the wrong way could trip it. I wouldn't spend time thinking about it until the next time.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Spent ~5k having the entire downstairs repainted, caulked, brown moulding trim and doors sanded and painted white as well as a bedroom and the stairwell. Spent the weekend replacing about 30 outlets and 15+ light switches, vent registers and returns.

Put in the deposit for getting our garage doors replaced and new motors put in, another 3k going there.
    Did you do fancy registers with designs on them or just the plain white slat ones? Have been looking for some new registers and maybe I don't know where to look. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc have minimal selection, and Amazon/other specialty online shops are either super cheap and has me cautious or very expensive (like 150+ per register).

Also, dang. 3k for new garage doors? We just paid 5.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Just the plain white slided ones they look great. From home Depot We needed like 14.

I was quoted 3 prices 3200-3800 for the doors. Removal of old plus installation.

All of our trim and doors are white now so all the outlet switches and vents are white.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

We are having a third door without a motor installed, and did get 10% back from Costco. Also upgraded to double steel insulated doors from rotting and cracked no insulation.

Maybe 5 wasn't so bad.

Did you get the registers from someplace like Home Depot?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    We are having a third door without a motor installed, and did get 10% back from Costco. Also upgraded to double steel insulated doors from rotting and cracked no insulation.

Maybe 5 wasn't so bad.

Did you get the registers from someplace like Home Depot?
    The registers and vents were from home Depot, We were thinking about doing the garage doors from Costco but we went with a local business. It's removal of old doors two new doors installed plus all the framing and two new motors and electronics.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

A new (cheap) single garage door at my old place was $900 installed, but I installed the motor myself.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

So is there a way to calculate PMI if I don't have the full 20% deposit? Think I'm going to get a house regardless of what I have saved after my apartment landlord told me they're charging a 30 dollar maintenance fee or give them a review.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    So is there a way to calculate PMI if I don't have the full 20% deposit? Think I'm going to get a house regardless of what I have saved after my apartment landlord told me they're charging a 30 dollar maintenance fee or give them a review.
    Find out the rate.

My PMI is 0.3%.

Take your total loan amount, multiply by rate, divide by 12, that's your monthly payment.

Example lets say I bought a house for $350k. 350,000 x 0.003 = 1050 / 12 = $87.50 monthly payment.

edit: When I was starting the process my realtor referred me to a mortgage company, said they're good, will get all paperwork and stuff done early and not hold up closing, which big banks are prone to waiting until the last minute and delaying shit. Yeah, ok. However, they gave me the same rate the bank was going, so I went with them. What I wanted to get at was that on my first call with them, after giving general information (credit, income, etc.) he was able to tell me the mortgage interest rate and the pmi rates right there and then. Mortgage interest rate will obviously fluctuate depending on how long it takes to make an offer, but the PMI rate didn't change for us.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Interest rates are very low, we chose to do PMI on this new house and put down less money. We're making way more back with the money saved on investments and even started our remodel early.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag