FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

A Warning About Newegg

Figured I'd put it here for those that do not use Reddit. Microsoft confirms Newegg is selling fraudulent Windows keys.

This is quite serious and as a Newegg shopper of 10 years I will be giving almost all of my business to Amazon moving forward or other outlets. I had read some threads of people complaining about Newegg's return policy getting worse or other issues in general with them. I waived it off as one offs since I've always had a good experience with Newegg. However, more and more reports surfaced. I still shopped there since there wasn't tax for MI but that's changed now.

Something to note about the timing of reports of bad service growing and more frequent issues is (learned from the thread above) Newegg was quietly sold to a Chinese company in 2016. I am not one to point the finger and be a Chinese=BAD!!! but it's hard to argue about what's happened with Newegg as a brand and their service. This specific incident about fraudulent keys is important because Newegg is refusing refunds or replacements so people are out $85 with the only recourse being to issue a charge back on their card or thru paypal.

Moving forward whenever making a purchase for PC hardware (regardless of where purchased) I'll be doing video unboxings in the case I am sent the wrong thing. We have the tech to do this and with incidents like Newegg refusing refunds for something like this who's to say them or anyone else could send the wrong thing and say we're lying and refuse service?

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

That doesn't bode well for them in the long run. I already stopped using them because returns are easier with Amazon. Guess I'lll just steer clear.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Aww, that's sad. Thanks for the heads up.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Damn... they have been my goto site for so long too. Oh well. I don't want to drop 800+ on a desktop, and get a DOA mobo and they tell me I can't return or get a replacement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Thanks for the heads up as I was starting to look for a new GPU.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yeah, this has been happening since 2015 before the Chinese acquisition. As long as it's a new item, and they have the lowest price, I haven't had any issues from them since that time, but have heard others have.

I buy my fraudulent keys from reddit resellers anyway lol.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've gotten my last 4 keys from the same place I get my game keys only for the lower prices and guaranteed help if things go left.

In terms of Newegg itself, they haven't been the budget friendly option in a really long time since I've become an Amazon warrior or at the very least super friendly with the 3 Microcenters near me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    I've gotten my last 4 keys from the same place I get my game keys only for the lower prices and guaranteed help if things go left.

In terms of Newegg itself, they haven't been the budget friendly option in a really long time since I've become an Amazon warrior or at the very least super friendly with the 3 Microcenters near me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Microcenter will also price-match both NewEgg and Amazon, with the caveat that the item in question would need to be shipped & sold directly from them in order for it to qualify for a match.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Newegg was the old guard, used to love them because they had a DC a few miles from my house where I could will call stuff.

These days there's almost no reason to use them anymore. They were the gods of the pre-Amazon tech marketplace though.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Goodness. Newegg's often been my go to for PC hardware, since we live in the boonies and far away from any computer shops. Never had a problem other than some memory I had to replace on this one since it caused some visual glitches. (I don't cheap out on my commercial software/Windows but I don't believe in pirating)

I might have to look elsewhere from now on; maybe Fry's or Amazon when I get around to rebuilding this puppy. Thanks for the heads up, and if folks got any ideas besides those two for hardware, I'm all ears so I can be ready.