1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 7 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

please explain tanking at its apex

I mean you're literally talking about a time when paladin had one combo and riot blade

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    man SCH is so insanely powerful in trials. literally a solution for everything at any given time
    I'm trying to learn SCH as it's the job I'm taking up first (well technically smn but it's a 2 for 1 deal). There are some things I don't understand coming from the 2 other healers.

What is the point of the ability that spreads the shield from one person to everyone else? Is it just an oh shit button for soaking aoe when you can't afford to cast Succor?

What do SCHs do when they need to do heavy healing and run out of aetherflow charges?

How do you make sure the fairy is in range of everyone (esp the tank) in a highly mobile fight?

Are there any tricks that aren't immediately obvious that make things easier or cooler? I haven't done anything high lvl on SCH yet, just been running sub-70 dungeons in roulettes but these are questions that floated to my mind as I was making my way around the kit.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Deployment Tactics is for shielding before a big aoe since adlo is stronger than succor

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

1) adlo spread was just a beefed up succor, bordering on broken when it crit. it's probably still potent, but forcing a crit on succor may work better with the changes to adlo's shields

2) being proactive with whispering dawn is the key to resource management imo, but by the time you're 80 you've got a bonkers AoE healing kit and shouldn't be left wanting. also don't neglect dissipation anymore

3) with them being immune to damage, can probably just place them in the center of most fights. adjust as needed

4) most of the tricks probably went out the window with SHB; it's pretty straight froward now

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Depending how well you know a fight you can just use it as free mitigation considering its a cooldown and doesn't cost resources especially if you already have an aldo going out.

Heavy Healing - Dissipation otherwise spam Adloquium.

You can still place your fairy. Generally if you stay within melee range of the boss your fairy should be in range. No reason you should be standing next to the brooding BLM halfway across the arena.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Haalia Melchiott
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

please explain tanking at its apex

I mean you're literally talking about a time when paladin had one combo and riot blade
    Paladin? Lol. I rolled Warrior and never looked back at Paladin.
    Knowing how and when to move in and out of Defiance, pushing damage one moment and being ready to mitigate a tank buster the next. Go back through these forums and look at the threads from those times.

Jesus, imagine being this casual on BG of all places. What are you even doing here?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

ah yes, flipping an oGCD stance on and off whilst hitting a CD for a scripted tank buster. please tell me more tales of complexity

expansions really do bring the hottest takes to the table

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    You can still place your fairy. Generally if you stay within melee range of the boss your fairy should be in range. No reason you should be standing next to the brooding BLM halfway across the arena.
    But then how can I bait aoes into his leylines?

Thanks for the answers, and one more question: is it worth converting my lv5 and lv6 materias and try to get 7s or are those gonna still be used in gear? we're pretty much done with overmelds outside of crafted gear right?

It's all dicks and airplanes
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cia Mir
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'm so proud of some of these VAs. They've done such a good job.

I'm not quite enjoying SCH at 70 myself but I think it'll pan out fine at 80 and power-wise, it's stronger than ever imo.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

the atherflow situation is really the obnoxious part. in dungeons you simply cannot spend it quickly enough

on the one hand an offensive(or enfeebling?) spender would alleviate the issue, but then you have to begin weighing the potency loss against your newfound healing kit

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

ah yes, flipping an oGCD stance on and off whilst hitting a CD for a scripted tank buster. please tell me more tales of complexity

TBF at 50 it was far more than that. Defiance was a DPS increase when used properly. You'd go into it during your Berserk phase, pop unchained, Fracture, and as many IBs as you could fit (back then it was 3 if you started with wrath stacks) . Warrior was much, much more complex in ARR than in any other x.0, it was still pretty good in Heavensward too, but from Stormblood on it has been simplistic meathead spam Fell Cleave to win.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

that's no more complex than pre-SB IR antics

that is to say, neither is at all complex

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I'm also at a loss for what any of this has to do with enmity management

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Enmity management consisted of calling your dps a tard for not using lucid/diversion/smoke screen/tactician/refresh/elusive jump or utilizing them as a free cooldown.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

one must quell their strikes

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

2.0 WAR was spam IB, 4.0 WAR was spam Fell Cleave. Warriors never even really had to think about their tank stance because it wasn't an actual mitigation tool like PLD's and it wasn't on the GCD so it took no thought or planning.

And none of that has anything to do with the fact that enmity management has never been a thing in this game except for between tanks themselves (and only ever required thought pre-4.0 when PLD's DPS combo was also its enmity combo and Shirk didn't exist).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

but the guy who hasn't played in four years called me a casual so

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

little does he know I remember a dark time when paladin was expected to partake of a two-step combo that ran them TP dry, lest they should steal hate

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

This guy never stepped into any Ultimates; muchless cleared them. There is a pretty big disconnected feeling with how tanking is right now and I don't believe doing something like this will be possible anymore.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

what a whirlwind. first I'm wrong because I knew nothing about the tanking of old, now I'm wrong because I know nothing about the tanking present