1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 11 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    They didn't really do a good job at hyping up this expansion, story-wise. I think I'll pass until it goes on sale. x.0 and x.1 have historically been the weakest parts of expansions on release, nothing to do after beating the MSQ besides farming EX primals and roulettes.
    I support doing this just because of the fact that unless you're invested in this for the story to the point you want minimal spoilers or you're seriously interested in end game activities there's nothing else to support playing this on a patch by patch basis.

At least when Shadowbringers goes on sale for $20 you can put that $20 saved towards the monthly fee.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, too bad I'm just too impatient. I will probably again complete the story, then play for a week or two and then just start coming back for story patches. End of expansion life cycle is the only time I actually play for longer periods of time.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    dungeon grinding didn't have a resurgence since the last time you brought this up a few pages ago
    Crap my bad. THat's what I get for unsubbing to this in the past and looking at it sleep deprived

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    They didn't really do a good job at hyping up this expansion, story-wise. I think I'll pass until it goes on sale. x.0 and x.1 have historically been the weakest parts of expansions on release, nothing to do after beating the MSQ besides farming EX primals and roulettes.
    Hmm what? x.0 is usually the strongest part of each expansion... I can't think of any patch MSQ that even came close (especially not the ARR ones). You get a lot of story, EX primals for a couple weeks then the raid unlocks. I've always enjoyed an expansion release the most.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Hmm what? x.0 is usually the strongest part of each expansion... I can't think of any patch MSQ that even came close (especially not the ARR ones). You get a lot of story, EX primals for a couple weeks then the raid unlocks. I've always enjoyed an expansion release the most.
    4.0 was pretty bog standard not included the relatively nerfed fights compared to 3.0 launch. Lakshmi was a joke, Susanoo was dodge city, and nevermind a significant number of raiders clerared O1S on their first pull (My group did it in 2 pulls and we were scrubby enough to take 5 weeks to clear Neo).

Stormblood's been pretty strong. 4.1 brought Ultimate fights for the high end raiders, 4.2 Brought Anemos which wasn't an absolute disaster and a half decent grind for glamour/gear. 4.3 Gave another ultimate fight. 4.4 was probably the most meh patch unless you count Pyro's logograms. 4.5 gave us Baldesion Arsenal.

There's at least been a steady amount of material that is somewhat fresh this cycle and not limited to the 8 man raids/24 man LFR/4 man dungeons this time around.

But unless you got land or enjoy the game week to week I wouldn't sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    I mean, ultimately its not that x.0 is necessarily BAD, its just 90% of the content is the main story, they dont really push big cool feature expansion features on x.0 to get excited for. I feel that can wait. ESPECIALLY for this one, because I'm not in love with the story premise. If we were going to Garlemald to Finish The Fight™, then maybe I could get excited week 1.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The ideal way to play FFXIV is to sub only in the lull period between expansions (aka, right now). Can finsih the entire expansion's content within that timeframe then unsub for another 2 years.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    The ideal way to play FFXIV is to sub only in the lull period between expansions (aka, right now). Can finsih the entire expansion's content within that timeframe then unsub for another 2 years.
    Galaxy brain strategy would be finishing the entire expansion content within the free sub periods.

(And extremely possible if you have someone willing to gear you up)

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I was actually thinking about Seasonal events as a counterpoint to this strategy, but then I thought about it. Buying the seasonal/limited time event items that you want from the cash shop is cheaper than subbing for the event itself particularly if you don't want all of the event items... lmao.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    I was actually thinking about Seasonal events as a counterpoint to this strategy, but then I thought about it. Buying the seasonal/limited time event items that you want from the cash shop is cheaper than subbing for the event itself particularly if you don't want all of the event items... lmao.
    ...When you put it this way, this makes a lot of sense lol

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

And it wins for both sides. You save money in the end and square still makes additional cash off the cash shop that they may not have made in the first place.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

But think of all the event achievements you'll miss out on!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Y’all just consider using your money on something else? lol

No shade. I definitely get it. But why even try to game the system? Just stop playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

tbf isn't that what they're trying to do. ;D

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

to be sure. personally I'd just rather save all of it instead of some of it. to each their own

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

No shade. I definitely get it. But why even try to game the system? Just stop playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I think you’re taking this joke too seriously

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think you're taking me too seriously

checkmate.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

to be sure. personally I'd just rather save all of it instead of some of it. to each their own
    'eh, I can see the value in wanting to keep up with the story if you enjoy it (it's still quite a lot of hours of content if you don't speed through it), and grabbing an expansion for cheap late in its launch cycle, then paying for a single month to go through it, vs. getting drip fed content every 3-6 months if you're not a raider.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    'eh, I can see the value in wanting to keep up with the story if you enjoy it (it's still quite a lot of hours of content if you don't speed through it), and grabbing an expansion for cheap late in its launch cycle, then paying for a single month to go through it, vs. getting drip fed content every 3-6 months if you're not a raider.
    Basically this. Though I suppose prime time to do this would be around the X.3 patch wherein the cliffhangers are as minimal as possible.

Spoiler: show
    Well they were for ARR and HW. SB decided to have that whole Alphinaud stranded in the Burn section after you got the achievement for 4.3 story

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I just mainline cash into SE's pockets because I have houses. Feelsbadman

The only time I quit was during HW 3.1 when they rolled out that godawful relic-only patch after months of nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast