1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 1 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 1 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast

The leaden fist change to monk from 15sec to 30 sec means a slight change to basic mnk rotations. Allows for more buffed bootshines (crits) before having to re-apply leaden. Also tooltip change to anatman def says that greased stacks increase in combat. Hopefully that means that you can start at 0 stacks making TK semi usable.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    It's literally a worse Hallowed Ground, how is that not bad?
    bad is a normative judgement that I'm not making. just pointing out that "worthless" is no small exaggeration. its mechanically in between HG and LD, and has a middle-ground CD to match

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I dunno Superbolde still seems pretty bad compared to Hallowed Ground. You're shaving a minute off the recast and you still have a large health pool to heal up. Unless a fight is specific between 12-14 minutes longer than your first utilization of your immunity you're not getting more uses out of it. (Pretty sure every savage enrage is less than 12 minutes)

Hallowed Ground is still king of the immunities. I guess GUN's saving grace is you don't have to immediately dump healing within 10 seconds to heal 100% of their health.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    bad is a normative judgement that I'm not making. just pointing out that "worthless" is no small exaggeration. its mechanically in between HG and LD, and has a middle-ground CD to match
    None of that makes it good. If a fight is designed to require an inv. CD it'll be balanced around either swapping it around or the longer cooldown anyway. Making your healer waste resources on you more often isn't good design lol.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

imagine pointing out that an ability isn't "worthless" and having people continue to try to convince me of things I'm explicitly aware of

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

WE WILL BEAT THIS DEAD HORSE UNTIL JUNE 29TH WHEN WE'LL BE BUSY WITH NEW CONTENT.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

fair enough. as you were

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post

Hallowed Ground is still king of the immunities
    Holmgang >

Fight me

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Holmgang >

Fight me
    Literally made os4 a joke.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    you still have a large health pool to heal up
    Does anyone actually use these skills when they have a lot of HP?* If not, then it really isn't much different from Hallowed... granted, you wouldn't pop it near the start of a big trash pull with high HP like you might choose do with Hallowed.

*Legit question. I don't actually know. I don't bother with savage content, so the differences between the oh shit buttons that I rarely press doesn't really affect me. Everyone's got a boner for Holmgang, but for casual content, Holmgang is garbage. I'd gladly take superboner over it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

in savage content, oGCD healing is the name of the game, so the difference is quite pronounced. HG requires no resource dumping, while holm trades being needy for insane frequency

LD has always been a drag because it pretty much requires ben, whereas holm and superbowl can probably get away with several minor oGCD heals

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

probably worth keeping in mind that SCH's invuln synergy will skyrocket come launch. their entire aetherflow kit will be devoted to oGCD healing, in addition to dissipation actually being usable for an additional three charges at will

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I pre-ordered SHB physical copy from my locally owned game store so I don’t think I get to partake in the early access, feelsbadman—but I was able to use store credit so I didn’t actually have to pay money for the expansion, feelsgoodman.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I pre-ordered, qualified for early access then decided to book a plane ticket to fly across the country days before it drops like an asshole so you're good my dude.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Possibly dumb question... I either wasn't around when SB hit, or I simply forgot how it worked. When do the job changes hit? Do they have a big ol' patch right before early access, and then it affects everyone regardless of early access status? Do they patch the changes in a little before early access? Something else?

I feel like the first option is the most likely one, but it also seems odd to have a maintenance on a Thursday/Friday.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

They are applied on the early access maintenance, IIRC it's a day long maint. It wouldn't make any sense for them to not apply the changes right there since early access is no different to release, you just get to play a few days earlier.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Does anyone actually use these skills when they have a lot of HP?* If not, then it really isn't much different from Hallowed... granted, you wouldn't pop it near the start of a big trash pull with high HP like you might choose do with Hallowed.

*Legit question. I don't actually know. I don't bother with savage content, so the differences between the oh shit buttons that I rarely press doesn't really affect me. Everyone's got a boner for Holmgang, but for casual content, Holmgang is garbage. I'd gladly take superboner over it.
    They're used to skip mechanics or tank busters almost without exception. Holmgang is the best because you can use it up to three times in the current length of Savage fights whereas every other one of them (sans MAYBE Living Dead if it's a particularly long fight and you hate your healers) can only be used a single time. THat said, Hallowed Ground allows PLD to do some insane shit on some fights (Omega in particular is a good recent example) and in conjunction with Cover it gets even nuttier.

WAR also has the unique ability to heal itself through use of several of its own abilities if needed giving the healers some breathing room, which neither DRK nor GNB will be able to replicate (no, Souleater and Solid Shell aren't good enough).

For dungeons you could literally go in and do anything and still succeed, there is no point in comparing tank effectiveness for casual content.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I know what invuln skills are used for, but I'll repeat myself "Does anyone actually use these skills when they have a lot of HP?"

The main complaint making it "worse than hallowed" seems to be that it reduces the caster's HP to 1, but unless they already were sitting near full HP, it doesn't really matter.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

What part of what we've said excludes the use of Holmgang/Hallowed Ground/Living Dead/Superbolide when you have full or near full HP? You don't choose how much HP you have before the tank buster. You will almost absolutely have near to max HP if your healers are doing their job at practically all times during a raid encounter. You don't use these abilities when your health gets low, you use them when you need to use them to make the fight easier for yourself and your healers. Reducing your HP to 1 excludes healers from that particular deal and it should be easily apparent why that is the case.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    You don't choose how much HP you have before the tank buster. You will almost absolutely have near to max HP if your healers are doing their job at practically all times during a raid encounter.
    There we go, that's the answer I was looking for. For someone who doesn't do hard content, I have no idea how hard tankbusters hit, nor do I know how strictly people keep their HP topped off. Honestly, a while back I heard about people deliberately keeping their HP low to cheese LB generation, so idk how the elite play.