Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (September 3, 2021)

‘Shang-Chi’ Marvel’s First Asian Film Superhero Franchise; Dave Callaham Scripting, Search On For Director Of Asian Descent

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther. That film tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The goal here is to do a similar thing: introduce a new hero who blends Asian and Asian American themes, crafted by Asian and Asian American filmmakers.

After Marvel Studios’ unparalleled decade of success following Iron Man, many have wondered how Kevin Feige’s next iterations of superhero franchises will distinguish themselves. Clearly an important theme will be ethnic diversity and inclusion, in front of and behind the camera.

Callaham has strong credentials in the superhero and franchise-building realms and his own experiences as a Chinese-American will inform the Shang-Chi movie mythology, sources said. His recent work includes co-writing with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns the upcoming DC Warner Bros sequel Wonder Woman 1984, and he is writing Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. He also wrote initial drafts of Zombieland 2, which begins production in January, and created and produced Amazon’s recent action comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, starring Jean- Claude Van Damme. Callaham also created the Expendables franchise as well as the story for the Legendary’s Godzilla reboot.

He’s got two comedies at Netflix: Callaham wrote the Black List-ed dark comedy caper script Jackpot, which Will Gluck will direct; and he wrote and is producing with Channing Tatum, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, and Archer’s Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, the animated comedy America: The Motion Picture. Thompson is directing.

Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, hatched by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. The script will modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with. The comic launched around the time that Enter the Dragon became a global sensation and martial arts films raged. In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of China-based globalist who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor. He also might be centuries old. The deceit makes them bitter enemies.

Marvel Studios has worked with a stable of talented filmmakers from diverse backgrounds including Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, directing next year’s Captain Marvel with Brie Larson; Coogler, directing the Black Panther sequel; Taika Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok; Chloé Zhao, who will direct The Eternals; and Cate Shortland, who will direct a stand-alone film for Marvel staple Black Widow starring Scarlett Johansson.

Callaham is represented by UTA, Kaplan Perrone Entertainment, and Gretchen Rush & Dan Fox at Hanson, Jacobson.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

YES

THIS IS WHAT I WANT

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Okay, but how does this fit in with the MCU? Because if Disney and Marvel are just making diversity to make diversity, I'm not excited about the future of the MCU. If they're drawing from diverse heroes with the idea of highlighting them as great heroes, I'm all in.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Okay, but how does this fit in with the MCU? Because if Disney and Marvel are just making diversity to make diversity, I'm not excited about the future of the MCU. If they're drawing from diverse heroes with the idea of highlighting them as great heroes, I'm all in.
    I bet they make a movie that explains it.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I bet it'll be called Shang-Chi too.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Damn. All us Latinos got was Luis in Ant Man! Need a super hombre to defeat Trump's wall!

Not really familiar with this hero but from a very quick Wiki read sounds like Iron Fist without mystical powers but done by smart people and the oversight to give us an actually good Kung-Fu superhero lol.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Shang-Chi has been in their plans since 2005 (i.e. on their original list of movies to make).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Destin Daniel Cretton Marvel’s Choice To Direct ‘Shang-Chi’
    EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios is setting Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi, its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. Cretton is directing Just Mercy, a film he wrote that stars Brie Larson and Michael B. Jordan.

This is in keeping with the studio’s goal to take this in a direction like Black Panther, and populate it with Asian-American talent. When Deadline first revealed the project late last year, the studio had set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay.

Black Panther provided a watershed template for how to do this, making a film that tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The film got a Best Picture Oscar nomination and won three Oscars, in addition to grossing $1.3 billion worldwide. It is clear that after Marvel Studios’ unparalleled decade of success following Iron Man, Kevin Feige’s next iterations of superhero franchises will distinguish themselves with ethnic diversity and inclusion, in front of and behind the camera.

Larson first worked with Cretton when she starred in his second film, Short Term 12. His other directorial credits include The Glass Castle. He is repped by WME

Callaham has strong credentials in the superhero and franchise-building realms and his own experiences as a Chinese-American will inform the Shang-Chi movie mythology. His recent work includes co-writing with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns the upcoming DC Warner Bros sequel Wonder Woman 1984, and he is writing Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. He also wrote initial drafts of Zombieland 2, which begins production in January, and created and produced Amazon’s recent action comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, starring Jean- Claude Van Damme. Callaham also created the Expendables franchise as well as the story for the Legendary’s Godzilla reboot.

Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, hatched by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. The script will modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with. The comic launched around the time that Enter the Dragon became a global sensation and martial arts films raged.

In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of China-based globalist who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor. He also might be centuries old. The deceit makes them bitter enemies.

BG Level

HNNNGGHHH

I've wanted this for so long, Shang-Chi is one of my favorite characters of all time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Rumor: Ludi Lin (Aquaman/Black Mirror/Power Rangers) & Ross Butler (Shazam!/Riverdale/13 Reasons Why) are up for the Lead Role
    Donnie Yen wanted for the Role of an "Wise Old Statesmen"

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/...hi-short-list/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Filming Begins in 2020 in Sydney, Australia
    https://youtu.be/g-SOOq_iyJs?t=1811

BG Level

Simu Liu was cast as Shang-Chi. Tony Leung to play the Mandarin, full title is Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Awkwafina in an unannounced role. February 12, 2021.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Y'all catch the presentation yet? Saw a shitty phone video and Feige points out one of the gunmen, during the lab stand-off scene in Ant Man, had a Ten Rings tattoo on his neck. I don't recall Cross mentioning the Ten Rings during the movie, but I think he mentioned HYDRA. The crowd seemed a bit surprised too, but it was a neat thing to point out.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

10 Rings been around for a while in the MCU:

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

I know. Just neat to see them elsewhere. Didn't know if they were gonna expand on that one shot they did.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Jackie Chan reportedly in talks to be Zheng Zu (Fu Manchu)

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Jackie Chan reportedly in talks to be Zheng Zu (Fu Manchu)
    Please no

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast